Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault code reader recommendations

Views : 665

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2024, 21:45   #11
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
VDASH is for the newer cars, I believe.
Thanks, I hope to get a few more years out of my 05 xc90 so that when she finally goes to the great scrap yard in the sky a 2014 model will replace her and see me to an age when I'm too decrepid to need another!

Life never works that way so I'll take a look at dash.
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 21:49   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
Thanks, I hope to get a few more years out of my 05 xc90 so that when she finally goes to the great scrap yard in the sky a 2014 model will replace her and see me to an age when I'm too decrepid to need another!

Life never works that way so I'll take a look at dash.
I'm hoping to get some more miles out of my 07 S80 D5, but there's potentially a clean air zone coming to the area I live in. Its currently "under review" and has been for some time (all the signs and cameras are up though).

That could change my plan completely, if it does go ahead.
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 22:01   #13
Andymharrison

Quote:
I'm hoping to get some more miles out of my 07 S80 D5, but there's potentially a clean air zone coming to the area I live in. Its currently "under review" and has been for some time (all the signs and cameras are up though).

That could change my plan completely, if it does go ahead.
I think they are going to change most of our plans. Not against them as such, we need clean air after all, but a sensible scrappage scheme and enough notice to plan your purchases around them should be built in.
Old Jun 10th, 2024, 22:16   #14
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
I think they are going to change most of our plans. Not against them as such, we need clean air after all, but a sensible scrappage scheme and enough notice to plan your purchases around them should be built in.
The air in the UK is actually clean, compared to some other countries anyway. Like him or not, but Nigel Farage made a very clear point the other night at the election debate when climate was mentioned. The UK contributes less than 1% to global emissions. Yet, we have the biggest low emission zone in the world (London). They should be looking at the big polluters like China, who are building power factories fuelled by coal at an alarming rate.

The money that's generated from these low emission zones is unreal.... millions each year. Its penalising the motorist again. If it was about clean air, why can you pay £12.50 and drive into central London in a non-compliant vehicle? So you can "pollute" if you pay to do so basically, and if you can afford it.

Its forcing perfectly good cars that pass MOT's each year to the scrap yard, export or sold to other parts of the country where these zones aren't in place (yet). Its also de-valuing vehicles. It makes no sense.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 10th, 2024 at 22:27.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 21:11   #15
filbert

I bought a Nexas Bluetooth ODB scanner for about £20 on eBay last year. It works in my 2008 XC70. I can check fault codes and clear them. Can't comment on how it compares to the more sophisticated gadgets.

Last edited by filbert; Jun 14th, 2024 at 21:16.
filbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 18:27   #16
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
The UK contributes less than 1% to global emissions. Yet, we have the biggest low emission zone in the world (London). .
I don't like paying to enter emission control zones with my 2012 XC70 D5 but I do recognise the need to reduce local pollution, especially NO and particulates for the health of the residents. In fact if my car is so bad, why am I allowed to bribe TfL to be allowed into the zone at all! However, that is a different matter to global issues and Farage is deliberately muddling the two concepts to make political capital in the same way that he backed Johnson's Brexit lies to further his political ambitions. (Not bitching about Brexit just about Farage!)
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 20:41   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I don't like paying to enter emission control zones with my 2012 XC70 D5 but I do recognise the need to reduce local pollution, especially NO and particulates for the health of the residents. In fact if my car is so bad, why am I allowed to bribe TfL to be allowed into the zone at all! However, that is a different matter to global issues and Farage is deliberately muddling the two concepts to make political capital in the same way that he backed Johnson's Brexit lies to further his political ambitions. (Not bitching about Brexit just about Farage!)
Its a valid point. If these "non-compliant" cars were so bad, they would be banned completely from entering such areas. Paying to drive them into the zone just shouts £££ to me.

Yes, we do need to reduce emissions, but we have to be realistic too. Our emissions levels are low... its an island surrounded by water. I think a good start would be focusing on the big polluters like China.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 11:38   #18
FreshAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I don't like paying to enter emission control zones with my 2012 XC70 D5 but I do recognise the need to reduce local pollution, especially NO and particulates for the health of the residents. In fact if my car is so bad, why am I allowed to bribe TfL to be allowed into the zone at all!
It is simply because ULEZ expansion has not made any difference to the pollution levels, which is the reason why there has been no reports post ULEZ expansion as the data does not show any improvement. The weather makes a bigger difference.

The natural replacement of older vehicles with newer ones is all that is needed. Older vehicles tend to do lower mileages than the newer ones as well. Add that to the fact that those that can't afford newer vehicles are unfairly penalised. Yes they can get an older petrol in place of diesel but then have higher fuel costs. It's making car ownership unaffordable for more people.

It is all a con to tax us more under the pretext of pollution reduction.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 11:46   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
It is simply because ULEZ expansion has not made any difference to the pollution levels, which is the reason why there has been no reports post ULEZ expansion as the data does not show any improvement. The weather makes a bigger difference.

The natural replacement of older vehicles with newer ones is all that is needed. Older vehicles tend to do lower mileages than the newer ones as well. Add that to the fact that those that can't afford newer vehicles are unfairly penalised. Yes they can get an older petrol in place of diesel but then have higher fuel costs. It's making car ownership unaffordable for more people.

It is all a con to tax us more under the pretext of pollution reduction.
There's a guy on YouTube who has purchased air quality monitors and performed tests in London. The pollution levels are actually worse (including NOx) since ULEZ.

So its all good and well driving "compliant" vehicles, but if they aren't reducing emissions, I fail to see the point. I think its about time someone in power realised that, but they look at the money and nothing else.

Putting a ULEZ zone around major airports like Heathrow also seems pointless. There's more emissions coming from those planes than the cars. Same with HGV's... Yes, there's euro 6 ones now, but one HGV has an engine the size of 6-8+ family cars. Its going to pollute more than one single car.

Tags
code reader, code readers