Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 or T4 and more

Views : 3952

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2014, 22:18   #11
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean94 View Post
but unless you're doing 20-30k a year of motorway work, why would you even consider a diesel?
For company car drivers, there can be tax advantages. Comparing the D2 and T2 engines for example, BIK is 14% on the D2 but 17% on the T2. Even with the higher list price of the D2, a company car driver would pay less tax picking diesel. Going forward, with the abolition of the 'diesel penalty' in 2016/17 (diesel engines are currently taxed at a higher rate than a petrol engine would be at the same co2 output), the cost advantage of diesel will only grow.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 22:35   #12
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Fair point, but a private buyer, which I assume the OP is, the petrol engine has to be your choice.

Environmentally speaking, a diesel engine is far worse than a petrol one and the latest info from the press is that they are struggling to get diesel engines through Euro 6. The days of 200k diesels are gone IMO. My Pugly has just 83k on it now (was stupidly low when I got it) but I doubt it'll ever make it to double that. The emission control systems will stop it.

That doesn't even cover the way the car drives, the noise and refinement etc. Don't get me wrong these new diesel engines are good, but why bother? It'll never be as quiet as a petrol engine.
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 08:58   #13
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean94 View Post
Fair point, but a private buyer, which I assume the OP is, the petrol engine has to be your choice.

Environmentally speaking, a diesel engine is far worse than a petrol one and the latest info from the press is that they are struggling to get diesel engines through Euro 6. The days of 200k diesels are gone IMO. My Pugly has just 83k on it now (was stupidly low when I got it) but I doubt it'll ever make it to double that. The emission control systems will stop it.

That doesn't even cover the way the car drives, the noise and refinement etc. Don't get me wrong these new diesel engines are good, but why bother? It'll never be as quiet as a petrol engine.
I can agree with the comment re refinement. We had a Renault Megane 1.2 petrol turbo as a rental in Spain not long ago and it was increadible quiet and refined and sipped the fuel like a diesel. The rest....well, not for me thanks!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 16:05   #14
Adders

Well, some good input here, so thank you to all.

I guess petrol is the sensible option but as I'm not buying new it could be a long wait to get in a V40.
The few petrol V40's out there seem to have the 'sports chassis' which by all accounts makes the ride quite harsh. Not what I was really looking for.
Adders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 08:38   #15
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Current Focus?

Maybe take a look at the current Focus, identical to the V40 as far as floor pan/chassis and suspension is concerned and quite likely to depreciate less than the equivalent Volvo, facelift clears up the earlier messy front and dash.

My money would be on the ST, 5 door hatch or estate and with Ford's Ecoboost engine that is also used in the V40 and other current Volvo's.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2014, 17:13   #16
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Maybe take a look at the current Focus, identical to the V40 as far as floor pan/chassis and suspension is concerned and quite likely to depreciate less than the equivalent Volvo, facelift clears up the earlier messy front and dash.
Only problem is the facelifted focus won't be out until later on this year...

Despite it's problems, the V40's Sensus is also far better than Ford's Sync (in the current Focus).
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 07:52   #17
Falmouthboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Maybe take a look at the current Focus, identical to the V40 as far as floor pan/chassis and suspension is concerned and quite likely to depreciate less than the equivalent Volvo

Don.
I disagree - the Volvo will hold its value far better than the Ford. True - you should be able to get a better discount on the ford which will reduce the ownership costs somewhat, but the % retained values @ 3 years on list price will be better for a V40 than a Focus because so many Focus start life as fleet/hire/pre-reg.
Falmouthboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 14:19   #18
Adders

Update,

I've decided on a used T4 just which one!?.....

Thinking of Passion Red but I've not seen one on the road. Any opinions or pics of your own cars?

Any thoughts on the panoramic sunroof? I've read that it does lower the inner roof. I'm 5'11 with my wife and children shorter.

Last edited by Adders; May 13th, 2014 at 15:33.
Old May 13th, 2014, 22:07   #19
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adders View Post

Any thoughts on the panoramic sunroof? I've read that it does lower the inner roof. I'm 5'11 with my wife and children shorter.
Have you checked out sitting in the rear seats? I found the V40 a bit lacking in headroom in the back.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:34   #20
Adders

Going to check it out today on an extended lunch break. My local Volvo garage doesn't have a car with a panoramic roof but the next closest does. They also have a car in passion red! All in diesel but it should help me tick or cross a few box's.