Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garage ruined gearbox

Views : 2577

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2010, 21:09   #11
MerseySwede
S80 s 2.4 D5 Sven

Hello Shadetek. I dropped it off while at work and collected it later so couldn't stay and watch.
MerseySwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 21:10   #12
MerseySwede
S80 s 2.4 D5 Sven

Andrew, front wheel drive only but thanks for replying
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 21:28   #13
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

this might seem like a daft question, r u sure this is gearbox/clutch related?

the reason im asking is i have had to change my engine due to burnt out valves and the symptoms were the same, due to the valves burning out it made my fly wheel go out of balance. now i could of had the head done but my car has done 142k miles and i managed to find an engine with 41k miles including new clutch timing belt and tesioners done new aux belt and engine swapped £1400 hopefully will drive well again when i get it back tomorrow.

cheers

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 22:32   #14
grass hopper
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
this might seem like a daft question, r u sure this is gearbox/clutch related?

the reason im asking is i have had to change my engine due to burnt out valves and the symptoms were the same, due to the valves burning out it made my fly wheel go out of balance. now i could of had the head done but my car has done 142k miles and i managed to find an engine with 41k miles including new clutch timing belt and tesioners done new aux belt and engine swapped £1400 hopefully will drive well again when i get it back tomorrow.

cheers

simon
not arguing but burnt out valves can not physically make a flywheel go out of balance,if there is a noise on depressing the clutch then more than likely the clutch is at fault,the clutch will be under more strain pulling itself out of the brake rollers,but a clutch that is serviceable would have no problem,how has this grease monkey damaged your car ? what would he gain from physically damaging your car ? as he has not but the clutch has given up at this time.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 21:18   #15
MerseySwede
S80 s 2.4 D5 Sven

Grass Hopper. I don't think there was anything to gain except perhaps a joy ride. My car was OK when I dropped it off. When I collected it there was the noise on the clutch plus it is difficulot getting into gear. I have to change up at 1600 - 1700 revs. If I accelerate to, say, 2500 - 3000 revs and depress the clutch and change I have to wait until the revs drop again and apply extra force to get it into gear. Also there is a slight noise when the engine is on and in neutral but if I apply a small amount of pressure to the clutch pedal the noise goes.

As for the clutch giving out it is possible but I think I would have noticed some depreciation in its performance.

Thanks for your time
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 22:31   #16
grass hopper
Premier Member

most garages/grease monkeys ! would not take a Volvo for a joy ride,how many miles were put on the car? and did you ask them why?

all the symptoms are a dragging/failing clutch.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:25   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Volvo advise a 5 mile road test in their service literature ....
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:32   #18
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

think the OP car was in for MOT only,but a tester is permitted to road-test the vehicle on test.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 15:14   #19
MerseySwede
S80 s 2.4 D5 Sven

Unhappy

Dear all. I truly appreciate your time and knowledge when replying to my gripe. All I will say is please believe me...

My car did not have this problem when I dropped it off. When I collected it I discovered the problem as described. Knocking when fully depressing the clutch pedal and difficulty engaging all gears. There was a couple of miles on the clock only. The garage account that the problem existed before I will not accept because it is not true. Why they would joy ride it I cannot say if indeed they did but I do not trust them nor will I go there again.

It seems my description of the problem does not help you diagnose the problem therefore I will end this thread and thank you all again.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 16:55   #20
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerseySwede View Post
Dear all. I truly appreciate your time and knowledge when replying to my gripe. All I will say is please believe me...

My car did not have this problem when I dropped it off. When I collected it I discovered the problem as described. Knocking when fully depressing the clutch pedal and difficulty engaging all gears. There was a couple of miles on the clock only. The garage account that the problem existed before I will not accept because it is not true. Why they would joy ride it I cannot say if indeed they did but I do not trust them nor will I go there again.

It seems my description of the problem does not help you diagnose the problem therefore I will end this thread and thank you all again.
diagnosed it earlier for you.