Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No service book and just 1 owner

Views : 7264

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2022, 13:39   #11
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
These ones are better as option 2 if it's a UK car, I get the feeling it's not though and is a Netherlands car?

https://cartaxcheck.co.uk/

https://www.carcheck.co.uk/
@WinnJ: Cheers !!!
@SnineT: it is an UK car ! Did a check through carcheck.co.uk indeed and that is how I know it only has had 1 owner. Advisories (MoT runs until half November 2022) are as follows:
Offside and Nearside Tyre worn close to legal limit / worn on edge inner edge
Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened corroded inner faces

Does not sound to bad and I probably will choose either Conti/Michelin winter and summer tyres or go for Michelin CrossCountry tyres.

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 14:19   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainBrighton View Post
I would not go wrong to have a transmission oil service and haldex oil service in any case just to be on the safe side ?

At the current price I have allocated a 1500 GBP budget for upgrades and bringing the car up to the best standard. With less miles there is less budget for a E46 Convertible, 9-3 Convertible or C70 Convertible next to run besides it :-)

At 2100hrs I know more.

Since this is an Executive model with the 19" Galateia wheels, can I change them for the Camulus wheels as well or use those as winter wheels for my winter tyres ? Guessing it should not matter which size I fit under this model ?

Can I use Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 LL oil ? I have quite a few liters left from my BMW 5 series .....
The executive model will be an extremly nice place to be and that’s a very very nice vehicle indeed!

I have michelin cross climates on mine and we had some hard snow last year where it coped without issue. That said, I assume what I call hard snow and what you call hard snow are not the same as I live on the south coast 😀.

If you use basic tools then £1,500 will be more than enough (in my opinion) to change all fluids, all filters and bring up to speed.

Even if you send it to a garage I think £1,500 is a good budget and will see you fine.

For me personally the fact it is an executive model would add quite a bit of appeal to the vehicle. I don’t know how much of a premium it adds but I would be willing to spend more to get one myself.

I am not sure on the 5W30. Mine certainly says 0W-30
And I have some 5W-30 myself which I believe would be ok but maybe I would be more cautious if it is very cold where you are.

If it were me personally I would see it as a chance to put the oil in, run for 3,000 miles and then junk to give the engine a good and gentle flush.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 15:25   #13
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The executive model will be an extremly nice place to be and that’s a very very nice vehicle indeed!

I have michelin cross climates on mine and we had some hard snow last year where it coped without issue. That said, I assume what I call hard snow and what you call hard snow are not the same as I live on the south coast 😀.

If you use basic tools then £1,500 will be more than enough (in my opinion) to change all fluids, all filters and bring up to speed.

Even if you send it to a garage I think £1,500 is a good budget and will see you fine.

For me personally the fact it is an executive model would add quite a bit of appeal to the vehicle. I don’t know how much of a premium it adds but I would be willing to spend more to get one myself.

I am not sure on the 5W30. Mine certainly says 0W-30
And I have some 5W-30 myself which I believe would be ok but maybe I would be more cautious if it is very cold where you are.

If it were me personally I would see it as a chance to put the oil in, run for 3,000 miles and then junk to give the engine a good and gentle flush.
@XC90mk1;
we are both on the south coast, in the UK I reside in Henfield and Brighton :-)
Last time I had a XC90 SE D5 200 and I missed the bells and whistles so I was only looking for an Executive. It does not have everything I believe but again at this price it will be good fun. Dynaudio and massaging and ventilated seats are the big draws. Last one I bought at a very reasonable GBP 7000 and sold it a year later at the same price including a set Camulus and winter tyres and more to one of the members here, based in Leeds.

I can actually not do anything myself, I would love to learn how I can do certain things. If I secure the car this evening, it will be great to meet some day and compare cars :-)

In the Netherlands I reside near Amsterdam so very mild temperatures. The 530 D Xdrive had the 5W30, what does it mean when the number in front is lower ? A higher or lower viscosity ?

The Following User Says Thank You to AlainBrighton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 15:41   #14
Cloth Ears

Quote:
@SnineT: it is an UK car ! Did a check through carcheck.co.uk indeed and that is how I know it only has had 1 owner. Advisories (MoT runs until half November 2022) are as follows:
Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored but not seriously weakened corroded inner faces

Does not sound to bad and I probably will choose either Conti/Michelin winter and summer tyres or go for Michelin CrossCountry tyres.
Not much by way of advisories does suggest, to me, that somebody has been keeping on top of the maintenance.
Cloth Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cloth Ears For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 15:54   #15
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
Not much by way of advisories does suggest, to me, that somebody has been keeping on top of the maintenance.
It had a MoT Fail in 2018 because:
- Number plate light was not working :-)
- Parking Brake efficiency below requirements

In 2017 it also failed on Parking Brake efficiency below requirements and advisories on "Slight smear on front wipers" and "Slight play in both inner rack joints" which sounds actually more toubling than the Parking Brake.

Since I spend a lot of time in the Alps, I always just used P and hardly the parking brake yet it does not sound all too serious ?

Old Sep 7th, 2022, 19:26   #16
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:

Na nothing to worry about, if it steers straight it's probably an inflation thing or someone straddles the speed humps constantly, all reads like an "I'm getting rid of soon anyway" sort of thing.

Try Hankook for tyres, 75% of the cost of a Michelin but just as good.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 19:28   #17
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:

Since I spend a lot of time in the Alps, I always just used P and hardly the parking brake yet it does not sound all too serious ?

You should always use the handbrake first and then P or you will stress the gear linkage pawl and then get misaligned positioning.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 19:53   #18
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Na nothing to worry about, if it steers straight it's probably an inflation thing or someone straddles the speed humps constantly, all reads like an "I'm getting rid of soon anyway" sort of thing.

Try Hankook for tyres, 75% of the cost of a Michelin but just as good.
Agree with Shine T regarding probably been ok, wouldn’t worry me.

Check the Hankooks. Possibly great advice, I ran hankooks on a previous car and was super impressed. The only reason I say check is because I had about 40,000 miles from my Michelins (I did rotate them) which I found astonishing so they could prove good value.

Good luck getting the car! One of the good bits of advice I have is get a good mechanic because the parts OEM (Mahle, ATE, Mann etc) are really not too bad.

I say OEM due to you looking oversees. In the U.K. certainly I find you can get Volvo parts at 50% discount from dealers so I always use them.

If you can get the parts and get a mechanic with a reasonable hour rate you may do very well.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 21:17   #19
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
You should always use the handbrake first and then P or you will stress the gear linkage pawl and then get misaligned positioning.
So very helpful, cheers, learned something new. Had always learned not to apply the handbrake because of the danger of a frozen handbrake although even in the Alps these days it is not that cold and certainly not in West Sussex or the Netherlands :-)

Thanks for the advice on the Hankooks, I had the original Cross Climates for almost 55K miles on my 2005 XC70, I had Conti's and Michelin on my previous XC90 and really interesting to try Hankook !

How about the wheels ? Can I also use 17" or 18' tyres ? Assuming the Executive has the same size of brakes as the other model styles ?

In the Netherlands I know 1-2 Indies and I can have the work done as business expenses. When in the UK I used to have an Indy in Portslade but other Indies in West Sussex are also more than welcome ;-)

p.s. Won the auction, car is mine. Saturday the mechanic is checking the car out and I will fly in on Friday evening !

Old Sep 8th, 2022, 09:18   #20
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

And on a completely different note: will the Bluetooth system in the XC90 allow me to stream music from my phone to the Dynaudio speakers ? Or should I use an Aux cable or so to connect the phone to the Audio system ?