Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I still have a leak

Views : 1254

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2012, 13:25   #11
Neoott
1989 740/940 conversion.

Hi Heyskull,
This might sound like a stupid post but just hear me out, i had the same issues on mine rear foot wells filling with water when it rained ect.
Checked everything time and time again with no luck of finding the leak. Until one day i noticed after a very heavy downpoor that the foot wells were dry. I was thinking to myself at the time that im sure there is going to be 4" of water in there but nothing!
So what had changed? Well this was when i was painting my rear diff as it was rather rusty so i had parked the car the otherway around on the driveway. My driveway slopes downhill. I had then worked out that when the nose of the car is lower than the rear i had no water. so could almost straight away narrow out the rear section of the car, i then turned the car around so it was now facing uphil and removed all the front carpet and lower plastic trim, then got my partner to be the rain (also is a great way to get her to wash your car for you without her knowing ) i quickly spotted the leak that had not been seen before because it only did it facing uphil.
I know this might sound a little silly but well it worked for me so maybe it can work for others too?
Regards Dave
Neoott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 15:59   #12
K6dude

Hi,
Door rubber seals, or rear window not closing tightly?

Also sometimes if work has been done to the door itself, the inner plastic sheet/waterproofing may not have been put back properly if at all....might be quietly dripping in from the lower part of the interior trim.

K6

Last edited by K6dude; Jul 19th, 2012 at 16:04.
K6dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 20:15   #13
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi
check the drivers door pillar below bonnet release when the trims are removed there is a plasic clip on cover about 80mmx 50mm . water was getting into my footwell and running into the back footwell i had to seal it with good mastic you may need to take the front carpet out to inspect for a few days when all dry . its a bit of a pain but can be done
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 23:26   #14
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

your post doesn't mention 700 or 900 but if 700 there is a manually operated air vent in the passenger footwell (outer side) and in the drivers if no fuel injection (I believe)

If left open this MIGHT be letting in water.

Since water will fall to the lowest place, I'd suggest you pull the carpet back around the heater valve and check there.

Speaking from experience that can drip, drip, drip for a long time and then the underlay / sound deadening will suck it up without you noticing.

The first 740 I owned suffered from this - but I didn't realise for a month or two. The previous owner had just taken to stuffing paper under the carpet, but when I checked it I had to remove all the carpet and dry it out. - I hacked out the sound proofing with a stanley knife etc - it was u/s by then.

All went well finally.

Also, as mentioned earlier, a way to try to find the source is to lift the carpets and place some kitchen roll paper down there.

GIve it a while (an hour or two, or a day or two, only you will know) and then check the lot to see which, if any, are wetter than others.