Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High mileage 850 experiences

Views : 5632

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 14:16   #11
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54
long live the 850 !!

good luck with the 300k and dont be shy, post more mate.

wayne
300K is that all its done, you have a way to go yet.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 21:26   #12
Neil_S

Got my 93 850 GLT 2.0L estate, 11 months MOT, 6 months tax.............for £200! Had it almost a year now, just coming up for MOT - fingers crossed! Only major problem was the head gasket a couple of months ago, but all fixed.
I seem to have the breather problem (smoke from dipstick tube) - any quick fixes? Also, my n/s rear door is stuck shut! Sounds like the c/l motor is working, but button does not lift - any clues?

Neil.
Neil_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:07   #13
robnewell-t5
Now another T5

I had eventually got to the point in my life where "nearly new" cars were within reach. After getting used to them (not Volvo) they were boring to look at and to drive, uncomfortable, too small, lost loads of money after only putting a few thou on the mileometer ;-) and no one raised an eyebrow.

I bought my 1st Volvo in January 07, my 850 T5 N reg.
Get ready....
£50, with 6 months MOT, 180K on the clock.

As soon as I got it, I changed the oil and filter (Halfords Part Syn), and put 4 new tyres on, so about £250. The rear wash liquid was filling up the tyre well so fixed that £0. The drivers door light kept falling out, £5 from breakers. One rear seatbelt button not holding, replacement unit from breakers £5. Spare alarm fob £5 from breakers. Various small bulbs replaced, say another £5 from Halfords and £3 for some batteries.

6 months on I had the disks and pads and front passenger side caliper replaced, £400 inc the MOT. Started to T-Cut and Wax the car properly to stop it looking like a stick of white chalk.

Next on the list is a large dent in the passenger door, no I didn't do it.(oh all 4 straps are broken BTW). Then the oil leak, man thats bad!
Has anyone seen where you can get a vac hose kit? I don't want to spend loads on a silicone set.
Then a Lambda sensor if still needed and a front strut brace.

I LOVE DRIVING IT!!! The kids don't want a lift in the "mpv", they want to go in the Volvo.
robnewell-t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:39   #14
m0bzy
Master Member

Thumbs up

Reading these posts give me great heart,my1995 850 GLT,2.5 20 valve has now notched up 58'700 miles.I have had to replace the front tires after about 1200 miles,but I do like to corner enthusiasticly!
Only gripes are the occasional groan from the clutch and the blasted clanking and clonking drivers seat.
Front disc change coming up,but it looks as if the car will out-last me!!

Mike
m0bzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:38   #15
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bzy View Post
Reading these posts give me great heart,my1995 850 GLT,2.5 20 valve has now notched up 58'700 miles.I have had to replace the front tires after about 1200 miles,but I do like to corner enthusiasticly!
Only gripes are the occasional groan from the clutch and the blasted clanking and clonking drivers seat.
Front disc change coming up,but it looks as if the car will out-last me!!

Mike
I fitted Benbos at £30 each from GSF, 60K ago.

DDN
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 22:45   #16
spiby

Hello again!

Well yesterday I went through the 300,000 mile barrier.

This post's not going to be as long as the original, just a quick summary of what's happened since 270k, here goes...

Camshaft position sensor went (I don't think that was in my last post...). No warning, it just went. Dead as a post. Waited an age for the breakdown man who knew diddly squat. After a huge amount of fiddling about doing the kind of thing that I would have thought would kill a catalytic convertor, he got me home; and then the car started. I checked the ECU readout which is what indicated the camshaft position sensor. Why he couldn't do this I don't know. I'm no mechanic, but 5 minutes (and £117.50 - what a freekin' ripoff for a metal plate and an optical sensor!!) with a ratchet/torx bit later, all was well.

Rear wiper motor seized. Haven't bothered to replace it - is this common as I see lots of 850's (and even quite new v70's) with the rear wiper parked in an odd position?

Front wipers went very slow. One of the rubber seals had perished and the grease around one of the shafts had been washed away. I stripped the mechanism and regreased with white cycle grease. So far so good, even in all this rain.

No door checkstraps have been necessary since my original post.

Steering went stiff recently. Garage insist there's no problem, but possibly caused by wear in the lower suspension arm bushes. Quoted silly money to replace these - they're not bad enough to be an MoT failure yet, so they're going to have to wait. As is the cambelt change, which I wanted to do at 70k miles; this time it's going to have to run the full 80k.

Despite increased oil consumption (1 litre + per 10k) HC emissions actually down in the last MoT. And a brake hose needed replacing - so it failed an MoT, shock horror! Fixed for £20 though.

Passenger door mirror got whacked and vibrates horribly now. I plan to replace it at some point.

Heating not 100% on driver side of car. Passenger side fine. Not too sure what that's about.

Tyre wear much as before. Ditto fuel consumption (by far my biggest expense - my accounts show £20,000 in the past 4 years, yikes!). In all honesty I need to get something more economical for day to day use, but as the only driver in the house I can't justify two cars. And I ain't giving up on the Volvo until it gives up on me.

We're off to Italy in a couple of weeks, so I insisted the front brakes were replaced today - having read my original post I realise they were last changed 95k miles ago. The garage insist they were still usable.

Auto gearbox has been getting more reluctant to change up when cold (i.e. EVERY morning, and most afternoons), so today I relented and I've had the fluid replaced. So far it's much smoother, tomorrow morning will be the real test though.

The black strip that runs along the bottom of the tailgate glass is corroded and looks really naff now. Does it do anything, or can I just rip it out? I saw a T5 the same age as mine recently without the strip, and it looked really neat.

So what's the next big milestone? 500k for a gold badge? At this rate that's another 6 years.

It'd be cool though

At the moment, as long as she gets us around Europe in one piece I'll be happy. And finger's crossed that the cambelt will last for its full service life, otherwise the AA are going to love me...

Happy and safe driving,

Pete

How about a piccy of 'Jelly' in her element, just to show she doesn't have it all easy (we had 7 on board, in addition to the two boats...):

spiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 23:24   #17
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54 View Post
long live the 850 !!

good luck with the 300k and dont be shy, post more mate.

wayne
Puhhh 300K is that all!

DDN

I wish I hadnt said that now, since I had the steering pump recond a few weeks back a pulley has started squeaking.

Last edited by DieselDoNicely; Jul 5th, 2007 at 23:27. Reason: Pride before the fall
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 19:46   #18
LNM

Pete

erm, this ATF fluid then, if I'm correct it got replaced at 300K miles ? or have I mis-read.

I had a small bit of swarf impeding the overdrive solenoid my 940, fixed it but not before I replaced the fluid. It was a PITA to fill up though, tidgy little dipstick tube.

Mercedes have a frankly rash claim that some fluids (rear diff fluid for example) will "last the lifetime of the car". Wondering if Volvo talk any such cobblers ?

Anyway, I've always fancied an 850 and your experiences recalled in your excellent posts are _very_ encouraging to say the least !!

Ta laa

LNM
LNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 20:20   #19
Davef
VOC Member

Smile

My 850 2.5 20V just clocked up the 200,000 this week whilst on holiday in Devon. I've had it since it was 18 months old and apart from the usual regular servicing it's had to have a clutch at 130,000, and last year for the MOT I replaced both bottom arms and exhaust. Still on original discs (I'n not hard on brakes) On a long run it still gets about 40 MPH.
Davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 17:05   #20
robnewell-t5
Now another T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnewell-t5 View Post
I had eventually got to the point in my life where "nearly new" cars were within reach. After getting used to them (not Volvo) they were boring to look at and to drive, uncomfortable, too small, lost loads of money after only putting a few thou on the mileometer ;-) and no one raised an eyebrow.

I bought my 1st Volvo in January 07, my 850 T5 N reg.
Get ready....
£50, with 6 months MOT, 180K on the clock.

As soon as I got it, I changed the oil and filter (Halfords Part Syn), and put 4 new tyres on, so about £250. The rear wash liquid was filling up the tyre well so fixed that £0. The drivers door light kept falling out, £5 from breakers. One rear seatbelt button not holding, replacement unit from breakers £5. Spare alarm fob £5 from breakers. Various small bulbs replaced, say another £5 from Halfords and £3 for some batteries.

6 months on I had the disks and pads and front passenger side caliper replaced, £400 inc the MOT. Started to T-Cut and Wax the car properly to stop it looking like a stick of white chalk.

Next on the list is a large dent in the passenger door, no I didn't do it.(oh all 4 straps are broken BTW). Then the oil leak, man thats bad!
Has anyone seen where you can get a vac hose kit? I don't want to spend loads on a silicone set.
Then a Lambda sensor if still needed and a front strut brace.

I LOVE DRIVING IT!!! The kids don't want a lift in the "mpv", they want to go in the Volvo.
Just replaced the 2 rear top suspension mounts (Genuine Volvo Parts £47) to stop the clonking that started "from the boot somewhere".
I read an article here about how easy it was, and it was ...apart from the "hold the top still with grips whilst undoing the nut below", so a friendly garage gave me a hand with that.
I got someone with a proper polishing mop to go over the entire car and "seal" it. They also acid cleaned the alloys, and blacked the wheels...WOW.
robnewell-t5 is offline   Reply With Quote