Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate wont open

Views : 79648

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 22:16   #1
Symes
Master Member

Ah yes, good spot.... I should have mentioned where the rear electrics module is! Thanks for the pointers Chris.

It sounds like broken wires are becoming a common problem... I've got away with it so far, but when the loom finally gives in I think I'll replace the section in the hinge with some extra flexible silicon coated cable :-)
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:27   #2
crutch

Default Thanks!

I've been driving around for about a year with my '94 850T tailgate stuck. I tried all kinds of things to open. I couldn't get the panel off because of the inside plastic around the interior latch lever wouldn't separate. finally I just broke it off. The peice that broke was a fairly even crack around the interior latch surround. The interior latch was still functional and the surround peice was still in tact and strong. I finally got the thing opened. I now can close the gate, half-locked, and use the outside latch to open. If it is slammed tight I'm able to now open with the interior latch. The child safety lock was on and that's why the interior latch wasn't functional. I disabled it and it works great. The exterior one is still sort of sketchy since it works with it half-closed. This is fine for my purpose because it is sort of my truck and the kids usually ride in the minivan. I bought a panel repair kit from a online volvo parts dealer and repaired the back panel. It is now nice and tight and everything is funtional even the wiper without hitting the panel. It's like I have a new car, yay, and can start using it as a truck again, yay#2.
-------
In this same day I was able to also repair the hood latch which has been broken for about 6 months. It needs an oil change. This one was easier. I popped the hood and pulled up as high as possible. I could then see the latch bt looking from the front-side. I got one of those strong aluminimum tent stakes (looks like a 10 or 8 guage wire but stronger, not the flat angled aluminum stakes) and was able to hook the latch and open. I then used that same aluminim stake and two pair of pliers and bent it around the latch and hand the wire stick out above the volvo logo on the grill. I then created a loop outside of the grill. It sticks out a bit but it dissappears at about 6-8 feet into the silver of the grill. There is till a little tugging and pulling to get the hood open but I can get it open when needed.
crutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 17:18   #3
Mike Cook

To the posts with the fuel flap problems just wait for about five minutesafter youve locked the car and then try. You might get a pleasent surprise!
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 17:36   #4
slymarbo

absolute great how to article, mine had been stuck for about 8 months, now no longer, all i had to was pop the trim, open the boot, keep the outside handle upto the open position and pop the "coat hanger" thingy back into tis rightfull hole, job done in 10minutes

now i just need to get round to sorting the heater motor/fan out...sounds like a jet taking off if its past 1/4 turn and vibrates the whole car something cronic, any ideas or quick-fixes???

ex gun runner (ARV)

"Zoidberg"
slymarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 14:41   #5
Trentham
Colin

Default Colin T

Just finished working on the tailgate on my V70 (it had locked). I'd Like to thank the author of this website.The pictures where very easy to follow. I'd had called a local dealership before my brother found the website and they quoted me £150 for the work.
Trentham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:10   #6
roryoc

Thanks for the great original post - I unlocked my 2006 xc70 boot by pulling back the trim and using a long screwdriver to push the lock spoon. It has unlocked with no problem since (although I would not be surprised if the problem happens again, having read other posts).
roryoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:30   #7
rsxer63

good info... I was wondering why occasionally the tailgate wouldn't open.
rsxer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 15:49   #8
RogerWalker

Unhappy Tailgate still won't open!

I have actioned all the wonderful advice given in this thread yet my tailgate stays stubbornly unlockable with the key fob. The solenoid is OK as I can manually actuate it with a 12V battery. The little microswitch which closes when the tailgate is in the locked position [and presumably tells the main computer whether the tailgate is open or closed] is OK. The solenoid piston is lubed and free running and the wiring loom that passes over the left side tailgate hinge looks like new with no sign of chafing

I have checked back with a voltmeter to the fusebox in the cargo compartment, the 10Amp fuse [sixth down from the top on left] that the manual says protects the tailgate lock is intact but there is no DC voltage either side of it when lock/unlock is actuated to feed the lock solenoid. The fuse appears to be fed from one of the relays on that fusebank - could it be a duff relay? Without a circuit diagram I am reluctant to delve much deeper without expert help. Anyone out there got access to a wiring diagram for a 2001 V70 2.4T estate please? Roger Walker
RogerWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 01:49   #9
willfromsussex

Hi Roger (you're only up the road from me) I'm also getting tailgate probs but I think its mechanical binding in the gearbox/plunger area, I'm amazed it can jam itself so much that the motor cannot reverse it!) however thinking about yours, I wonder if there is a break in the harness in the 'sense' (microswitch) wire which means the brain is not allowing the signal to the motor as it still thinks it is open. Have you pulled the hinge cover off and pulled sock along the cable to get a decent look at all the wires? Mine actually seemed ok but the copper had gone quite hard in a couple of the cables, meaning future trouble I expect.

Do you want me to measure my fuse and see if it gets volts when I operate the lock?
willfromsussex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 21:41   #10
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWalker View Post
I have actioned all the wonderful advice given in this thread yet my tailgate stays stubbornly unlockable with the key fob. The solenoid is OK as I can manually actuate it with a 12V battery. The little microswitch which closes when the tailgate is in the locked position [and presumably tells the main computer whether the tailgate is open or closed] is OK. The solenoid piston is lubed and free running and the wiring loom that passes over the left side tailgate hinge looks like new with no sign of chafing

I have checked back with a voltmeter to the fusebox in the cargo compartment, the 10Amp fuse [sixth down from the top on left] that the manual says protects the tailgate lock is intact but there is no DC voltage either side of it when lock/unlock is actuated to feed the lock solenoid. The fuse appears to be fed from one of the relays on that fusebank - could it be a duff relay? Without a circuit diagram I am reluctant to delve much deeper without expert help. Anyone out there got access to a wiring diagram for a 2001 V70 2.4T estate please? Roger Walker
This may help:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001 V70 Tailgate Lock.jpg (69.7 KB, 70 views)
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote