Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Senses meltdown

Views : 1717

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2016, 11:04   #11
yeoman
Master Member

Since I got my T8 at the beginning of may, I have had several sensus/ software glitches.
There is a particular flyover on the way the Sheffield from Doncaster my sensus screen particularly dislikes.
On 2 occasions I have gone under this flyover, the sensus screen that dims automatically ( ie goes into night view), will flatly refuses to go back to the bright screen.It only takes about 1.5 seconds to travel under this flyover.

It resets it self to normal after turning the engine off for 20mins or so.

I have also have multiple episodes of ESC mode warning lights come on as well as the car refusing to travel in pure or hybrid mode,, The car deciding on its on that I need my heated front seats and steering on.. All these errors clear after turning the engine off for a period

It has been in to my dealer once already and is due back again in few weeks for a lengthier diagnostic assessment ( dealer tells me he may have to contact Volvo UK)
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 11:21   #12
edbanger1975

I fully understand that all this modern computing in cars will have issues at times. Its just that the senus screen is so integral to everything...hopefully these can be sorted to be a bit more reliable soon. ..
edbanger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 11:23   #13
neon
Premier Member

I am beginning to understand why I am not seeing many XC90 on the road as they are all pulling over to switch off and on the engine or at the dealers workshops. Sorry could not resist, hopefully it is not as bad as it sounds on here.

Last edited by neon; Jul 9th, 2016 at 11:28.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 11:54   #14
tem
Premier Member

Are most of these glitches with the T8?

I have on order a V90 D4, delivery early October and am starting to get slightly concerned, as the S90 and V90 share the same Sensus hardware/software, as the XC90.

It is 108 miles to my nearest Volvo dealer and I am now wondering if I will be having to make numerous visits to get software updates, etc.

tem.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 12:40   #15
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTXC90 View Post
Sorry about the issues 'familyman' (nice profile name ) and good that they didnt re occur on your wife's trip back to home.

As we were chatting in the other swede forum, this does look pretty disappointing that a car so highly rated by everyone has so many issues.

How has your dealer been in all the issues and communication?

I see that you are from York, which dealer have you bought from?
My dealer so far has been pretty good both pre- and post sale. If I'm honnest, in terms of their service department, I feel they realise they need to try hard now with these premium cars, but potentially need to build on experience a little still.

The car went in just under two weeks go for:

1. Investigation into 'airbag urgent service warning'
2. to have a scratch removed from the drivers door sill which I spotted at handover
3. to have front mud flaps fitted which I'd asked for before delivery but were on factory back order
4. to have the rear battery compartment cover replaced as the catch for this fell apart in my hand the first time I opened to see what was behind 5. to have them look at a dimple in the Sensus screen.

The scratch was dealt with and there is no trace and the mud flaps were fitted.

The battery compartment cover I had sent them photographs of (and received a response) a week prior to going in, but on the day they didn't have that item written on the service sheet and seemed unaware of the problem. Thus they had to order the part and could fit it on the day.

They replaced the Sensus screen, quite surprised they had this in stock.

In terms of the airbag warning, the service rep told me there was a big software update which should solve this. At this point I felt that I was either being fobbed off or that the service rep didn't know exactly what he was talking about. I knew that the car had the latest May update software installed (cleanzone logo, driver profiles etc.). I queried the software update, but pretty much hit a blank!

It certainly felt as if they were trying their best to keep me happy and resolve the issues. The dealer is about 20 miles from me, but we've established that one of the service teem lives close by and in future they'd be more than happy to have him pick the car up and leave us a loner etc., which might come in handy if the issues continue!

I think perhaps because we'd only had the car for 2 weeks, they made sure their XC90 demonstrator was available and sent us off it that, which I thought was a nice touch.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 12:46   #16
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Are most of these glitches with the T8?

I have on order a V90 D4, delivery early October and am starting to get slightly concerned, as the S90 and V90 share the same Sensus hardware/software, as the XC90.

It is 108 miles to my nearest Volvo dealer and I am now wondering if I will be having to make numerous visits to get software updates, etc.

tem.
From my own experience and what I've read in the forums, I think the Sensus problems are across all models, but my personal feeling is that the more serious issues, which are preventing a car from being driven or what often require more immediate attention are with the T8.

The Sensus issues are often not so serious, just annoying and sometimes requiring a restart.

I'm sure I read on another forum somewhere that Volvo are hoping to start putting more frequent updates out, but I'm not sure how they'll manage this if they cannot be done OTA. Owners and dealers are going to struggle to get all vehicles in for updates every few months.

Old Jul 9th, 2016, 13:03   #17
tem
Premier Member

I was hoping that updates could be done OTA, as this would cut out all the visits to Inverness.
At the moment I connect the V60 to the Internet via a MiFi dongle, with a Three 12gb data card. This is fine for "Send to Car", but might be a bit slow for software updates.

tem.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 15:36   #18
Lexman8
Premier Member

OTA updates are a two-edged sword; very convenient but if one goes wrong there's potentially big problems.

One reads every so often of a Microsoft/Apple/Google update that bricks a number of devices, even if only temporarily. Imagine what it would be like if a hundred or a thousand XC90s got bricked.

Given the ongoing Sensus bugs and reports of updates failing when a dealer applies them, I don't think Volvo is ready to deliver remote updates that are guaranteed to work.
Lexman8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 19:41   #19
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Mine had the big software update the other day. Now have cleanzone logo and speed sign assist etc..

Since the update my head up display keeps adjusting itself so looks like another glitch introduced with the new update.....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 23:09   #20
familymangreg
Premier Member

Philip, sorry to hear you have the head up display issue, see this thread, you are not the only one.