Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Offical IPod adapter on a 2005 V50

Views : 22050

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 16:33   #11
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

but it wont give you bluetooth functionality like the Parrot which is what I'm looking for. I really want to know what the sound quality is like though before I commit, anyone else installed a Parrot can tell me what the sound is like

Thanks
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 18:06   #12
Deadlyhifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb2009 View Post
but it wont give you bluetooth functionality like the Parrot which is what I'm looking for. I really want to know what the sound quality is like though before I commit, anyone else installed a Parrot can tell me what the sound is like

Thanks
Yeah, I've seen so many mixed reviews on this I'm not comfortable with spending that kind of money. The MP3 play back quality is the most important thing for me and anything else is a bonus. But if the sound doesn't cut it I'll be forever annoyed about spending so much money...

So if anyone does have first hand experience of the sound from one of these things it would be great to hear from you
Deadlyhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 19:15   #13
Deadlyhifi

I've decided to take the plunge and get one next week hopefully. I'll report back and let you know detail of sound quality etc.

There are two ways to wire it in I believe. One using the Line out which I think uses the car amp (which I think is preferable) and the other is to use the Parrots amp..
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 20:42   #14
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

If you are going for the Parrot and have prem sound with amp in boot then you need a SOT-045 adaptor harness that plugs into the amp. You then need an extension 06-429b from the boot to the front of car, behind dash that the lcd plugs into. These can be bought on ebay or autoleads.

I like the idea of the Parrot as you can bluteotth phone and ipod/mp3 and the display looks pretty cool. You can also plug a memory stick in that holds mp3s. It will certainly suit my needs if the sound is up to it.
Feedback I have had is generally good. One comment was that if the leads were correct then the sound should be good. Bad reports were given were installers hacked into/spliced the cars cabling system - I guess this could lead to poor sound quality.
Let me know how it goes and post pics if you are doing it yourself.

Thanks
Jon
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 20:44   #15
Deadlyhifi

Will do... Think I'll let the pro's do it though. Either way, I'll let you know the results.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 20:55   #16
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

£220 from Halfords isnt that bad. Do you have the prem sound system with amp in the boot? If so then Halfords should be throwing in both cable adaptors for that price and connecting into the amp in the boot rather than behind the radio, taking a 5m extension to the the front of the car.
I couldnt be cheeky and ask if you could ask which cables they are including and a brief description of how they will install it.

Thanks
Jon
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 16:42   #17
Deadlyhifi

Quote:
£220 from Halfords isnt that bad. Do you have the prem sound system with amp in the boot? If so then Halfords should be throwing in both cable adaptors for that price and connecting into the amp in the boot rather than behind the radio, taking a 5m extension to the the front of the car.
I couldnt be cheeky and ask if you could ask which cables they are including and a brief description of how they will install it.

Thanks
Jon
Well.. I have since decided to stay away from Halfords.. The reason being.. I have spoken to two official installers of the Parrot systems.. and neither of their quotes are anywhere near the quote of Halfords. They are about £80 higher. This concerned me a little. They also asked a lot more questions that the Halfords guys. So.. I basically asked the official chaps what is involved and asked the halfords chaps too.. The upshot of it is.. the official installers knew all the answers and would visit my house too and give warranty etc etc... and halfords said.. sometimes the things don't work very well in all cars... but nothing we can do.. which sounds to me like maybe they don't understand it that well? Just a guess. The official chaps also said the sound would come fromall speakers for the music. Which is very important for me.

So I might be paying a little more but am getting peace of mind Which for this thing I think is pretty important....
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 19:14   #18
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Deadlyhifi

Yes the sound is important to me too. From what Ive heard, the sot-045 harness connects to the amp in the boot, this then feeds the PArrot amp which is mounted in the boot and the 5m extension lead 06-429b runs from the parrot amp to the front of the car. In this way the harness is wired through the amp and I guess through all 4 speakers and centre speaker at front on dash if you have the premium system. I think this is how it works. The two leads if you search on Ebay will total about £40 plus £150 for PArrot, so you are talking £200.
I dont think it will be cd clear but I think it will be pretty good listening to others, I think the hard wired ipod link will be best rather than bluetooth but its down to personal preference. I want to route the ipod hard wire up through the armrest which will also charge the Ipod. I have a Nano 5th gen and Parrot have confirmed the 9200 is compatable and will charge it.
Did you find out how the pros you spoke to will install it?

Cheers

Jon
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 21:20   #19
Deadlyhifi

Quote:
Deadlyhifi

Yes the sound is important to me too. From what Ive heard, the sot-045 harness connects to the amp in the boot, this then feeds the PArrot amp which is mounted in the boot and the 5m extension lead 06-429b runs from the parrot amp to the front of the car. In this way the harness is wired through the amp and I guess through all 4 speakers and centre speaker at front on dash if you have the premium system. I think this is how it works. The two leads if you search on Ebay will total about £40 plus £150 for PArrot, so you are talking £200.
I dont think it will be cd clear but I think it will be pretty good listening to others, I think the hard wired ipod link will be best rather than bluetooth but its down to personal preference. I want to route the ipod hard wire up through the armrest which will also charge the Ipod. I have a Nano 5th gen and Parrot have confirmed the 9200 is compatable and will charge it.
Did you find out how the pros you spoke to will install it?

Cheers

Jon
They are coming to my place on Tuesday to do the work, fingers crossed. So I'll keep an eye out for what they do/leads they use and report back. I would take pictures as he is doing it but it might looka little strange!

I think the two options he has given me for the ipod cables are to either put them in to the glove box or down behind the center console. However.. i like the idea of putting it in the arm rest like the later models. I have the premium stereo system so should be pretty similar to yours...
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:47   #20
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Hi Deadlyhifi

Thanks for that much appreciated.
They would have to route the cable up through the centre tunnel section and up to the armrest which might mean removing the torx screws for the armrest. the easiest option is to the glovebox but ideally I would have it in the armrest as you dont want to be reaching over to the glovebox etc..
Dont worry about pics, yes it would look a bit strange if you were to take pics whilst they were working.
If you are able, can you get details of the adaptor leads they are using. I have ordered off Ebay the sot-045 harness and a 5m extension for the display - I think these are right. My car is a 2004 S40 model with premium sound (with facelift/bootlift to 2009) so should be the same sound system as yours.

Many thanks and hope all goes well Tuesday.
p.s. tell me what the sound is like!

Jon