Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR blank

Views : 22613

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2012, 17:52   #11
Metblackrat

EURO IV models need a blanking plate with a hole in it such as this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-...ht_3072wt_1344

I know that's not the one but that seller was selling one some time ago. I'm sure someone else must be selling them too.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 18:04   #12
Guru
Premier Member

Mine has been blanked off for over 18 months now and 30,000 miles with no ill consequences.
I had my emissions control done with the EGR blanked off and I passed with flying colours! I'll tell the exact measured value of CO2 later on, but if I remember correctly, it was 0.05? not sure, I'll have to check, the protocol is in the car and the wife's out with it at the moment.

The only downside to blanking the EGR is that the engine takes longer to warm up and reach optimal operating temperature, makes sense because recycled exhaust fumes are hot and thus aid in warming up the engine when being redirected in to the chambers, on the other hand, with it blanked off, the only air entering the engine is fresh air through the air filter.

I've read that if the warning msg stays on for too long, the car eventually will flip in to limb mode.. it has happened to a few whom were ready and willing to live with it appearing on the dash.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 18:33   #13
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by grin factor View Post
I think your friend, working for Volvo, is in a position where he feels obliged to tell you to remove the plate.
I don't get this bit about "re-burn the fuel". It can only be a tiny bit if any in my view, and putting exhaust fumes back into the engine cannot be good for it. But, we are all fed the propagander to think its all in a good cause.
I wouldn't say he's obliged in any way, He was telling me about the same job he done on a BMW X5 where they tried the plate and then a bypass unit and both made the engine run worse. He's a young lad about 22-25 years old and likes his cars and tuning them kind of things, so I can't see how something unless it was of any gains would feel obliged to tell me otherwise to remove it. Other than the fact as he said the engine is configured to run this way i.e with the correct amount of fuel added each time and air mixture.

In a diesel engine the air is compressed first, and then the fuel is injected. Because air heats up when it's compressed, the fuel ignites. So the hotter the air the better thus reusing already headed gasses. Also yes there is I'm guessing a very very small amount of fuel if any at all in the re-used gasses (as it should have been burned the first time round) but the injectors fire and atomised amount of fuel in each cylinder at a time much like an aerosol can but on a smaller finer scale.

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack

Last edited by VenomS40; Feb 24th, 2012 at 18:36.
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 18:36   #14
v40bart
Master Member

Question

The only role of the EGR is to reduce nitrogen oxide by decreasing oxygen content in the charge. All that soot coming out the back is the is incompletely burned fuel.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 19:48   #15
UKTech

Hi all
Sorry to be a bit dim on this subject but can someone briefly explain on which motors this is being done and why, please.
I've got a S40 2Ltr S.E. Diesel 2004 new style, what would be the advantages?

Thanks in advance.
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 02:22   #16
VenomS40

As for the blanking plate with a hole in it doesn't that defeat the object of blanking it off as there is still gas getting through the valve?

As for the system light if you were to get a remap could you get the blanking of the EGR programed into the remap?

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 20:23   #17
S40Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
As for the blanking plate with a hole in it doesn't that defeat the object of blanking it off as there is still gas getting through the valve?

As for the system light if you were to get a remap could you get the blanking of the EGR programed into the remap?
Apparently "It has a 10mm hole so that the eml doesn't come on."
S40Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 00:47   #18
VenomS40

I understand that it stops the system light from coming on but other than restricting the amount of gas getting through does it not defeat the object of blanking it off to stop the gas from getting through in the first place?

Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:08   #19
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
I understand that it stops the system light from coming on but other than restricting the amount of gas getting through does it not defeat the object of blanking it off to stop the gas from getting through in the first place?
I'd say that was the whole point. The duct must be at least 20mm diameter - more likely around 50mm. A 10mm hole will only allow 25% - or maybe 4% - of the 'normal' volume of gas to pass so the 'flawed' blanking plate will be at least 75% effective in stopping exhaust gasses from being reused but (presumably) wouldn't leave you with a permanent alarm light. That must be more desirable than leaving things as original.

Fitting one is on my 'to do' list although I need to wait a few more weeks until I've finished testing another device I'm trialling. Obviously, I'd start with no hole in the blank but if that does introduce an alarm condition, I shall drill a very small hole in it (more likely 3mm than 10mm) and re-test. If necessary I'd enlarge hole until alarm light goes away.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:29   #20
VenomS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe View Post
I'd say that was the whole point. The duct must be at least 20mm diameter - more likely around 50mm. A 10mm hole will only allow 25% - or maybe 4% - of the 'normal' volume of gas to pass so the 'flawed' blanking plate will be at least 75% effective in stopping exhaust gasses from being reused but (presumably) wouldn't leave you with a permanent alarm light. That must be more desirable than leaving things as original.

Fitting one is on my 'to do' list although I need to wait a few more weeks until I've finished testing another device I'm trialling. Obviously, I'd start with no hole in the blank but if that does introduce an alarm condition, I shall drill a very small hole in it (more likely 3mm than 10mm) and re-test. If necessary I'd enlarge hole until alarm light goes away.
Yeah I guess your right in what your saying about, I do like the idea of a 3mm hole to start with and go from there.

Going back to the solid plate, does anyone know if a remap will be enough to stop the light coming on once fitting a solid plate?