Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 T5 Mods

Views : 6039

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 21:08   #11
NatHLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames
The chip tuners mouths were moving, but all I could hear was "waa waa waa". Put your handbags away girls...or do you really all want banning again? I think it's a real shame that someone posts a question for the users, and all they get is a barrage of companies squabbling for business. .
Foggyjames, its quotes like this that does put people backs up, Robv50 has asked a 'tuning' question and tuning companies are going to reply. He knows the full facts on some of the upgrades available, he go away and do some research before he makes a decision.

Quote:
Maybe a locked, stickied thread could be made where information is given about the various products available from the different tuners...and whichever tuner answers first can point people to that sticky? I certainly don't like the idea of companies PMing potential consumers, at least not without a public discussion first.
I agree about a stickied thread - good suggestion

I only PM'd rob to tell him that Phil Whitaker cars programmed through the ODB ii port and remotely as well then I commented on how good technology was these days - nothing more, as I am aware that there are certain rules about companies using the PM system.

Natxx

www.chiptuninguk.com

Last edited by NatHLM; Mar 6th, 2006 at 21:11.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 23:03   #12
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Of course it was intended put your back up! Comments like that might put your back up, but I think the endless 'tuner squabbles' annoy the rest of us innocent consumers far more.

If you disagree with something one of the other tuners says, you don't have to shoot them down in such a way as to make an attack on their professionalism. That's not aimed at anyone in particular, by the way.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 00:21   #13
Dreddnort8310

Hmmm ...

Says it all really
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:09   #14
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I haven't been thanked as much though. Must be 'cos I'm such a grumpy bugger

cheers

James
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 17:45   #15
dodgyken
Master Member

Quote:
I haven't been thanked as much though. Must be 'cos I'm such a grumpy bugger

cheers

James
You have 2 choices:

You are either receiving deffered success

OR

You are misunderstood

Every motoring forum you go on will debate the Pros and Cons of ECU remaps, chip tuning, smartboxes - or whatever you want to call it or it actually is. The simple fact is that there are a number of ways available to electronically improve the performance of your car.

Different companies go down different routes - some companies are less reputable than others, some know more about what they are doing, and some are just useless and make a quick buck from the ill informed.

I know where I will get my T5 chipped but that is based on past experience with them.

Mind you if the engine blows up I will be the first on here to complain
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 19:36   #16
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I was only kidding I've only made about 50 posts since the 'thanks' system came in. Amusingly the one 'thanks' I have so far was not on a technical topic...it was a rant about the Police!

cheers

James
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 22:16   #17
KVB

Quote:
Originally Posted by swautos
Hi Rob

I can supply you with a BSR ppc unit which allows you to chip and unchip the car at your leisure so the dealer will never know. Check this site for details and contact me directly Stuart@swautos.co.uk for a good price as my company is a main dealer for them.
http://www.bsruk.co.uk/bsrproductsea...ion=tuningkits

Thanks Stuart
Not to get off topic here, but I think is a way for a dealer to detect tampering with the ECU. They can't detect the difference in code but they can detect the amount of reflashes done in the past via VADIS which is stored in the ECU.

I suppose if you never have an engine problem to be diagnosed then all should be fine. But, if you do and the dealer is trying to pin it on you because you have other mods done than I believe they will find a way to detect it.

KVB
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:47   #18
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Detecting software changes.

You are right on the money here.

Volvo cars UK technical people have equipment which will detect the passage of data in and out of the ECU.

They can, in other words, tell if the ecu has been flashed, either by a dealer or other party.

The dealers do not themselves have this facility, but can call upon it when they smell a rat.

The actual data can only be read by staff in Gothenburg.

Regards, Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Mar 8th, 2006 at 10:36.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:10   #19
s40R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish
Hi S40R,

FYI I wasn't questioning Don's knowledge of what cars he can and can't tune with MTE via the OBD2 port.
I was questioning Don's statements as regards how other tuners access the software on all late model Volvo's.
I was also pointing out that we (www.volvotuninguk.com) are the only tuner in the U.K. that can tune ALL late model Volvo's (Petrol and DIESEL) via the OBD2 Port.

Regards,
Hamish.
Chip Tuning Ltd.
Hello Hamish,

Thanks for the reply. I was just clarifiying that Don's Kalmar Union is the MTE/TME dealer for the UK whom frequently hosts MTE tuning events in the UK. Also clarifying that MTE/TME uses the OBD2 port for tuning on late model Volvo's when they come to the UK to tune cars for Don's customers. Again at the risk of seeming argumentative, but not trying to be, your company is not the only one in the UK that tunes late model Volvos via the OBD2 Port. Thank you.

Best Regards
s40R
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:18   #20
s40R

Another way your local Volvo dealer can find out if you have done some mods to your volvos ECU: Service Tech hooks up a Vadis/Vida equipped laptop into the cars OBD2 and watch boost levels going beyond what the stock cars map would do. Most of the people I know with modded Volvos tend know there Service tech well and visa/versa not a big deal in the scheme of things.