Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing headlight reflectors

Views : 3668

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2016, 14:19   #11
rtbcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
... And that nut must be very tightly fastened on to the setscrew.
No need to go mad, but do use high tensile (8.8) screws from a reputable source.

Still use a barrier grease if you do use stainless, under some circumstances stainless fasteners can weld themselves together, making things worse.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 21:22   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Oh yes. I use a fair amount of stainless screws and all those threads are greased.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 23:39   #13
DW42

Stephen, the white plastic clips are these:
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...light/1019478/
You need 6 in total (3 per light)
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 06:56   #14
rtbcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
...And that nut must be very tightly fastened on to the setscrew.

Instead of using a nut you may be able to weld the washer to the screw head (usual caveats when welding zinc plated items) or bend the penny washer to form a tab to prevent the screw from turning.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 15:46   #15
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

DW42 thanks for the white clips info. It seems to me best to get those clips and the adjusters that Antz advised about and replace them all whatever I find when I take it all apart.

rtbcomp ... thanks yes I'd cogitated having a washer welded or bending the washer to hold the hex head from turning. I'm also cogitating using a grub or headless Socket Screw. Cup ended. M6 x 60 can be got. With a nut, flange nut perhaps, welded on the end to go inside the headlamp shell. And the 3mm Allen Key socket end of the grub screw in the engine compartment, so the screw can be stopped from turning using a hex key or socket set bit. I'll ask a local engineer if they would be willing to weld or braze &c. that arrangement.

The MOT is booked for 30 August giving me a month before the certificate expires. I shall await that result before doing anything, to make sure I deploy my funds where they are most needed on the car. But the reflectors must be done reasonably soon. The output is not good. Famous last words, MOTs so far have been plain sailing with this car....I suppose I'm due to have some work required or advised.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 16:02   #16
rtbcomp

My reflectors were so bad you needed a torch to see if the lights were on. It failed on alignment and I left it with the MOT garage to set up. They subsequently passed it, but there's no way they could have adjusted it with all that silicone sealant in there.

An alternative to the grub screw would be to cut a screwdriver slot in the end of the screw.

BTW IIRC the original screws were M5 so be prepared to open various holes out slightly.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 16:26   #17
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thanks ... and noted re your MOT garage. I let a usually very good garage fix a 740 rear light years ago. When it failed again a year later I mentioned that they should have fixed it right the first time. They did it free of charge then.
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 16:36   #18
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Thanks for this this thread. I have new reflectors ready to go. Got them aftermarket from PFV. The ones there now are not the originals, tho' are pukka Volvo, fitted by a garage in 2005 when I needed LHD ones for re-reg to French plates. Both reflectors are shot already and have been 'advisory on last three MOT's! I've had both lamps out a few times so hoping for not too much hassle, fingers crossed.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 17:07   #19
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbcomp View Post
... under some circumstances stainless fasteners can weld themselves together, making things worse.
Really - how does that happen? I thought the idea of SS screws and bolts were to stop things seizing. I understand that SS bolts are more brittle and shouldn't be used for some load bearing situations.

This is a new one. I use copper grease on bolts anyway, but tbh I'm more about rusty steel bolts.

John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2016, 17:22   #20
rtbcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Really - how does that happen? ...
I'm not sure of the metallurgy, but you can get barrier grease specifically for stainless fasteners.

http://www.estainlesssteel.com/gallingofstainless.html

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...d-galling.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtbcomp For This Useful Post: