Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800S sports exhaust system

Views : 3579

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 10:13   #11
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Have you worked through what you will do with the plans for your B20 spec? Will you go with lightened flywheel, and think about what carbs to use? Whilst some might go for Webers, it might be interesting to consider the Mikuni twin carbs. These have been used by the American company www.v-performance.com for some years. To go a bit extreme you could have the B20rebored to 2.5 litres and fit Quad 45mm Mikuni HSR carbs, then if still not enough power (and still with money in the bank) consider supercharging!
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 12:35   #12
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Russ,

Can't remember exactly what your plans are for the new build but a little bit of info and parts that Sten Parner in Sweden is selling:
"B20: I dont have roller rockers now, but earlier 1980-1990 we use from Chevrolet, and roller lifters from Oldsmobil.
Today I only have forged turbo pistons and stroker kit 2,5 liters.
2,5 liters stroker kit B20: Steel chrankshaft stroke 92,5mm forged pistons 92mm H-rods 150mm. Price17520:- Swedish kronor + shiping cost"
I hope your mrs doesn't find out the price if you go for the stroker kit… ;-)

Cheers,

Mitch
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 00:48   #13
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundes-Peace View Post
Have you worked through what you will do with the plans for your B20 spec? Will you go with lightened flywheel, and think about what carbs to use? Whilst some might go for Webers, it might be interesting to consider the Mikuni twin carbs. These have been used by the American company www.v-performance.com for some years. To go a bit extreme you could have the B20rebored to 2.5 litres and fit Quad 45mm Mikuni HSR carbs, then if still not enough power (and still with money in the bank) consider supercharging!
I have had a flywheel lightened, will be balanced along with the clutch and rest og the bottom end.
For carbs I have a set of NOS twin Solex 45ADDHE, personally I would prefer the Mikunis but can risk that much money with VPerformance. Pity as he has some nice kit; just too many horror stories.
Wish Brookhouse would become a franchise.
I thought about over boring to 2.1 but the cost of extra components ( have a six bolt crank) wasn't worth it
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 00:55   #14
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Hi Russ,

Can't remember exactly what your plans are for the new build but a little bit of info and parts that Sten Parner in Sweden is selling:
"B20: I dont have roller rockers now, but earlier 1980-1990 we use from Chevrolet, and roller lifters from Oldsmobil.
Today I only have forged turbo pistons and stroker kit 2,5 liters.
2,5 liters stroker kit B20: Steel chrankshaft stroke 92,5mm forged pistons 92mm H-rods 150mm. Price17520:- Swedish kronor + shiping cost"
I hope your mrs doesn't find out the price if you go for the stroker kit… ;-)

Cheers,

Mitch
Hi Mitch
Nope won't be going to aggressive an overbore. Currently looking at a +30 but careful rebuilding and optimising.
Worked with the B18 so hoping for good results with the B20
Was going to do the head myself again but decided to go with KG.
I'm over there in a few months so can pick up some other bits
Russ
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 07:11   #15
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Hi Mitch
Nope won't be going to aggressive an overbore. Currently looking at a +30 but careful rebuilding and optimising.
Worked with the B18 so hoping for good results with the B20
Was going to do the head myself again but decided to go with KG.
I'm over there in a few months so can pick up some other bits
Russ
KG is doing you a head, good stuff and I'm a wee bit jealous... Please let us know what it's like.

Last edited by Burdekin; Dec 18th, 2012 at 07:15.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 07:14   #16
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
I have had a flywheel lightened, will be balanced along with the clutch and rest og the bottom end.
For carbs I have a set of NOS twin Solex 45ADDHE, personally I would prefer the Mikunis but can risk that much money with VPerformance. Pity as he has some nice kit; just too many horror stories.
Wish Brookhouse would become a franchise.
I thought about over boring to 2.1 but the cost of extra components ( have a six bolt crank) wasn't worth it
Russ
Apparently the Mikunis have cold weather starting and choke issues. Also the performance and economy may be a lot down to salesmanship. And there is that issue that you may never get them from John.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 14:33   #17
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
KG is doing you a head, good stuff and I'm a wee bit jealous... Please let us know what it's like.
Yes it's a stage 3 with valve sizes optimised for my engine.
I've also been told to deck the block til the pistons are level.
Thought thevaccepted wisdom was 20-40 thou up.
However KG has a lot more knowledge than me so going to follow his advice.
I've also bought another set of alloy cam gears, they are a matched set ( crank is steel) and the second set Cloyes sent has held up very well with no wear.
Cheap also at under a ton including shipping
Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 14:37   #18
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Apparently the Mikunis have cold weather starting and choke issues. Also the performance and economy may be a lot down to salesmanship. And there is that issue that you may never get them from John.
Thanks that useful as too be honest I've seen no real life reviews. I understand the logic, Mikunis continued development whilst cars went to injection. However it's a big cost and one I can't risk at this moment.
Pity someone can't take on his designs and promote them and leave John to the development side.
Must be a good market if it's done properly
Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 14:48   #19
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Yes it's a stage 3 with valve sizes optimised for my engine.
I've also been told to deck the block til the pistons are level.
Thought thevaccepted wisdom was 20-40 thou up.
However KG has a lot more knowledge than me so going to follow his advice.
I've also bought another set of alloy cam gears, they are a matched set ( crank is steel) and the second set Cloyes sent has held up very well with no wear.
Cheap also at under a ton including shipping
Russ
Sounds very nice indeed... That will push the old girl along very nicely indeed. What sort of CR is that going to give you and have you chosen a cam?
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 15:44   #20
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Thanks that useful as too be honest I've seen no real life reviews. I understand the logic, Mikunis continued development whilst cars went to injection. However it's a big cost and one I can't risk at this moment.
Pity someone can't take on his designs and promote them and leave John to the development side.
Must be a good market if it's done properly
Russ
I did think about buying a pair and doing it myself but I also have another dozen or so things for the Amazon I'd like to do that I've not found time for. I'm not sure how many Mikuni sets would sell as the average Amazon owner are probably quite content with SUs or Strombergs so it's going to be for the guys tuning the engines. I thought there would probably be a little market for a bolt of FI and EI kit as well, especially if you could retro fit them into a SU carb or something like that.