Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new estate

Views : 1752

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 20:49   #11
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740 In France View Post
Hi,

Your new volvo looks a real nice example, and looks very well cared for. My next volvo in the future will be a fuel injected model over a carburetted one. I was thinking of a 940 turbo but I think its not for me, as more to go wrong.
Congratulations on a good purchase.
James.
Thanks James.

I think that the injected ones are smoother, perform better and are not that much more complicated.

Ian
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 21:15   #12
locky2306

All the best with the new purchase, really does look mint.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 22:03   #13
James_N
VOC Member

Id like a 940 turbo but im of the same opinion that there is more to go wrong on the turbo model!

Sometimes, less is more

Looks very nice Ian Get some more detailed pics up once you have picked it up!

Best of luck with it
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 22:07   #14
Velorum
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Id like a 940 turbo but im of the same opinion that there is more to go wrong on the turbo model!

Sometimes, less is more

Looks very nice Ian Get some more detailed pics up once you have picked it up!

Best of luck with it
Thanks James - will do!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 22:56   #15
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

[quote=Ian Hutchinson;194589] There is a rust hole in the tailgate sill - due to its position I can attend to this and I should have it sorted in an afternoon.[quote]

Hi Ian,
Congratulations on your new arrival. With regards the rust hole - this area is very prone to corrosion as this panel meets on from underneath and the corrosion starts from the seam. You need to check this panel underneath - they often rust right through along the length with the "sill" not far behind. For those with more severe corrosion a repair panel is availablke for the sill from Volvo for about £75 which makes an easy repair (the panel even has the rim clip holes!). Look forward to some more pics when you have given it some attention.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 23:38   #16
phill newsome

Hi
Well done on the new estate. I have a 2.3 model the year before yours on a d plate.I have just bought her for pennys so i could not say no .she aint as nice looking as yours but is pretty tidy and runs as sweet as a nut as they say.my estate has the alloys on and handels well.
I have just got 12months test on her so will enjoy her for the next year.
good look with the hunt for the wheels.
Best regards phill
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:31   #17
Velorum
VOC Member

Smile

[QUOTE=Mike_Brace;194831][quote=Ian Hutchinson;194589] There is a rust hole in the tailgate sill - due to its position I can attend to this and I should have it sorted in an afternoon.
Quote:

Hi Ian,
Congratulations on your new arrival. With regards the rust hole - this area is very prone to corrosion as this panel meets on from underneath and the corrosion starts from the seam. You need to check this panel underneath - they often rust right through along the length with the "sill" not far behind. For those with more severe corrosion a repair panel is availablke for the sill from Volvo for about £75 which makes an easy repair (the panel even has the rim clip holes!). Look forward to some more pics when you have given it some attention.

Mike
Thanks for that Mike. Just got home about 1/2 an hour ago from picking it up. Very impressive engine and gearbox considering its done nearly 200K - very quiet and smooth, cruised along the M4 at 80 no problem. I will attend to the slight dents and scratch on the front wing first that then investigate the rear sill.

My wife loves it and is very impressed by the two childseats in the rear - bearing in mind that the first grandchild is arriving in March!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:33   #18
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill newsome View Post
Hi
Well done on the new estate. I have a 2.3 model the year before yours on a d plate.I have just bought her for pennys so i could not say no .she aint as nice looking as yours but is pretty tidy and runs as sweet as a nut as they say.my estate has the alloys on and handels well.
I have just got 12months test on her so will enjoy her for the next year.
good look with the hunt for the wheels.
Best regards phill
Thanks Phil

Dont forget to post some photos of it! (You can upload them into your profile)

Ian
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 20:56   #19
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

My 87 245 GLT had 198k when I was given it 3 years ago. Now at 290k the engine still runs well but uses a little oil (head). It is currently off the road for some major refurb work - hopefully back together bt the end of the week in time for its 4th MOT with me.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 21:00   #20
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
My 87 245 GLT had 198k when I was given it 3 years ago. Now at 290k the engine still runs well but uses a little oil (head). It is currently off the road for some major refurb work - hopefully back together bt the end of the week in time for its 4th MOT with me.

Mike
Im looking forward to seeing some photos when its completed Mike!