Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice needed on HID kit options

Views : 3287

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2013, 16:46   #11
tonymcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzcymru View Post
thanks so much for this detailed write up Tony. They look awesome. The place you tied the ballast too, is this just behind the headlight when they are installed, couldn't quite work it out?

Thanks
While the headlight is out if you follow the front panel it will disappear under the wing, mount the ballast on the ledge above where the headlight will be
Old May 11th, 2016, 20:37   #12
Milne
Ian

Cool HID lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymcb View Post
just fitted these a few weeks ago
Hi I am looking at getting them fitted to my C30 by a dealer who have fitted loads , they tell me the ballast and all wiring will be in side the light fitting any comments ??

Last edited by Milne; May 11th, 2016 at 20:43.
Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 15:09   #13
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milne View Post
Hi I am looking at getting them fitted to my C30 by a dealer who have fitted loads , they tell me the ballast and all wiring will be in side the light fitting any comments ??
Legality issues aside I've seen a vid somewhere where the ballasts are mounted with heavy duty double sided sticky to the inside of the removable cover of the lights. A small hole was drilled in this cover through which the main wire was passed. Seen it done, don't know if it has heat load implications inside the housing as it is all sealed.

I'd be concerned as there's not a lot of room in there for anything really. If you've ever tried changing the bulbs which aren't your dipped beam you'll know what i mean. Why not mount them outside the light housing? Doesn't have any impact at all really just makes it a boat load easier if you need to change your other bulbs, switch back to factory, or modify further.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 15:24   #14
paddyred
Master Member

As Dom says I will be amazed if they can fit it all in there. I mean Volvo can't even do that themselves which is why the back cover on the OEM HID's are metal because that's the ballast unit/computer.

In regard to legality issues, I keep reading about people who are scared about the whole self leveling/headlight washer issues. When it comes down to it, HID kits do not have to be self levelling and do not have to have washers. As long as the beam pattern is correct, it doesn't create glare for other road users (which if you installing it into projector type lights that the V50 etc has then you will be fine) and the lighting is mostly white you are fine. MOT regulations state that fitted levelling and washing systems must work but doesn't state they must be fitted.

Last edited by paddyred; May 12th, 2016 at 17:20.
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 20:33   #15
x DTR x
Premier Member

I have my kit indoors waiting to be fitted and have recently had a thread up regarding advice about an issue with the wiper motor burning out as it shares the earth on the right headlamp. I have found a few volvo forums including this one addressing this problem and wanted to get some up to date info if this was still the case with the newer kits? I will be running the negative lead to the chassis instead of plugging it into the original bulb connector, and will probably do the same on the left headlamp to play safe as not sure what earths that shares?

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 13:19   #16
paddyred
Master Member

As you say bond it to the chassis earth so it doesn't backfeed through the wiper motors. Its pretty easy and the safest option. They tend to pull a few amps to get transformer chucking out 10kv at the bulb start. After that the bulbs still throw out a relatively dirty earth. You want to make sure your leads between the ballast and the light are also shielded and as short as possible to reduce interference
Old May 15th, 2016, 12:18   #17
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
In regard to legality issues, I keep reading about people who are scared about the whole self leveling/headlight washer issues. When it comes down to it, HID kits do not have to be self levelling and do not have to have washers. As long as the beam pattern is correct, it doesn't create glare for other road users (which if you installing it into projector type lights that the V50 etc has then you will be fine) and the lighting is mostly white you are fine. MOT regulations state that fitted levelling and washing systems must work but doesn't state they must be fitted.
The only reason HID kits don't have to have washers or be self levelling is because they shouldn't be fitted to the car in the first place. The MOT doesn't really take into account that people might do things like fit illegal headlights without the correct fittings and fixtures.

It may or may not pass an MOT depending on where you get it tested but it still isn't road legal and the local black rats would still be well within their rights to deal with the offence if they come across it.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 14:57   #18
v70stu
V60 T6

True. It's a risk to consider but I doubt you'd get pulled for the headlights. In a projector lens they work very well, unlike a reflector lens which tends to fire the light off all over the place. Also, they look OEM behind a projector lens, so the bigger issue is passing the MOT. My local indy garage used to happily pass my MG ZT260 with aftermarket HIDs.
I think though that the biggest potential problem is whether you will bugger the wiper motor or not. That, ultimately, is what is stopping me fitting some.
Old May 15th, 2016, 20:39   #19
paddyred
Master Member

Well they still go though an MOT with no issue. They can't fail it as it isn't testable so its technically not their responsibility. It would be like failing the car for not being up to scratch on service stamps, its none of their business. As long as they work and the pattern/height is correct you will be fine. Technically they are illegal unless the headlamp is marked ECE R99 but you won't get pulled for headlights. Unless your driving a citroen saxo with HID's that are like full beams at 60mph round town then they have better things to do especially as the car is modern and actually comes with HID projectors as an option.
Old May 16th, 2016, 14:01   #20
Kizzer
VOC Member

Facelift, or pre-facelift?

Facelift lights definitely there is plenty of room to fit an HID inside the housing. Just double sticky the ballast to the bottom and tuck the wires neatly and carefully.
I cannot remember what the housing on the pre's was like for size.

Tags
hid kit