Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil change with VIDA/DiCE

Views : 3012

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread : denzo

Old Mar 28th, 2022, 19:04   #11
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post
How you reset oil level, I dont see where
VIDA > Diagnostics > ECM > Advanced... then you should see it on the list
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bomster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 19:25   #12
100K+
Premier Member

All the reference posts in this thread quote "Clan" as the source. However, there is over 7 years between his 2013 and 2015 comments and his most recent comment of "5.7 litres.".
I'm not putting words in his mouth but perhaps the change in comment are due to Volvo moving the goal posts (again??) No doubt clan can speak for himself.
I querried the need to reset the oil level with vida if the car always had had 5.7 litres of oil installed,about 3 month back,and he did not correct/say that amount was incorrect.

Cheers Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 23:01   #13
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
All the reference posts in this thread quote "Clan" as the source. However, there is over 7 years between his 2013 and 2015 comments and his most recent comment of "5.7 litres.".
I'm not putting words in his mouth but perhaps the change in comment are due to Volvo moving the goal posts (again??) No doubt clan can speak for himself.
I querried the need to reset the oil level with vida if the car always had had 5.7 litres of oil installed,about 3 month back,and he did not correct/say that amount was incorrect.

Cheers Bob.
Yeah will be interesting to hear what Clan says on the matter, but I was under the impression any changes Volvo had made in terms of reducing oil quantity was c. 2011 so Clan's comments in 2013/2015 would have been after this.. but again let's see what the man himself has to say on the matter.

Also I'm not sure why you are supposed to change/reset the oil level, but have seen it mentioned a few times it's a requirement, and in VIDA itself it says you are supposed to do it... Again, not sure why, and no idea what the potential issues it may cause if you don't do this. Would be interested to hear.
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 23:13   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Where did you read that/get that figure..5.7 litre is what I believe to be correct. ( happy to be shown I'm wrong)

Also, idle thought, as we're being picky about measurements, are 4 litre oil cans exactly 4.0 litres or abit over, and if over, how much.
Anyone ever checked the volume??

Cheers Bob.
5.7 as I said above ....

The oil level was reduced in 2006 and this was refelected in the mark on the dipstick being 75% up the XXXXXXX mark on the dipstick . Hence the 70% read out in VIDA, accurate when over 60C .. this was the case up to the end of the 5 cylinder diesel ..

The reason you reset the oil gauge is that it takes about 20 miles to settle on the new level and if you dont reset the gauge you will still have the old level reading showing for 20 miles ... Resetting it actually freezes the reading for 20 miles then displays the correct current reading ..

Last edited by Clan; Mar 28th, 2022 at 23:19.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 07:48   #15
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
5.7 as I said above ....

The oil level was reduced in 2006 and this was refelected in the mark on the dipstick being 75% up the XXXXXXX mark on the dipstick . Hence the 70% read out in VIDA, accurate when over 60C .. this was the case up to the end of the 5 cylinder diesel ..

The reason you reset the oil gauge is that it takes about 20 miles to settle on the new level and if you dont reset the gauge you will still have the old level reading showing for 20 miles ... Resetting it actually freezes the reading for 20 miles then displays the correct current reading ..
Hi Clan..

My dipstick doesn't have XXXXXX... I just have the technician dipstick which has a a few circles on it.

Also, did you the see the posts earlier in the thread that I screenshotted where you had stated in 2013 and 2015 that the twin turbo D5, and specifically the D5244T10, require 5.9L, but now you say it's 5.7? 5.9 matches up with what Volvo say in VIDA.

Don't want to be rude, after all it's not your job to be the technical authority on this, but I think a lot of people take what you say as gospel, so would be good to clarify in this case imo.

Last edited by Bomster; Mar 29th, 2022 at 07:52.
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 08:26   #16
passenger
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
VIDA > Diagnostics > ECM > Advanced... then you should see it on the list
Thanks man
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 13:34   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
Hi Clan..

My dipstick doesn't have XXXXXX... I just have the technician dipstick which has a a few circles on it.

Also, did you the see the posts earlier in the thread that I screenshotted where you had stated in 2013 and 2015 that the twin turbo D5, and specifically the D5244T10, require 5.9L, but now you say it's 5.7? 5.9 matches up with what Volvo say in VIDA.

Don't want to be rude, after all it's not your job to be the technical authority on this, but I think a lot of people take what you say as gospel, so would be good to clarify in this case imo.
Hello ,
lets deal with your D5244T10 twin turbo :

VIda says APPROX 5.9 litres
it also says do not fill above 2/3 on the plastic grey dipstick marks ..
then there is the difference between hot and cold oil ...

Also the readout from the oil level sensor should be 65%-70% at over 60c
so not an exact science here.

Then there is the older D5 D5244T4 it says 5.5 litres in vida with the oil approx 75% up the XXXXXXX on the dipstick and other variables as described above .

so its not surprising there are different results on dipsticks .

There is room allowed on the dipstick for these variations of course and 0.2 litres one way or another is not going to make a lot of difference to the parameters .
Having done thousands of these oil changes and 10's of calibrations since 2006 when the Electronic gauge was introduced the figures I come up with are the ones I have been using practically for the last 16 years .
When I have spend many hours trying to get the vida oil level gauge reading right with hot oil which is the most accurate way of putting the right amount of oil in the sump then what actually goes in might not be exactly the same as some of the figures quoted .
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 17:53   #18
100K+
Premier Member

@ Clan

Would I be correct in assuming that what applies to the 205BHP (T10) engine, would apply to the 215BHP twin turbo'd models ( Auto ( T??) and Manual boxed( T11?)) ??
If so I now have full understanding of the "how" "why" "what" and "when" of oil changes for my car!

Thanks Guys

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 21:07   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
@ Clan

Would I be correct in assuming that what applies to the 205BHP (T10) engine, would apply to the 215BHP twin turbo'd models ( Auto ( T??) and Manual boxed( T11?)) ??
If so I now have full understanding of the "how" "why" "what" and "when" of oil changes for my car!

Thanks Guys

Cheers
Bob
yes from 2010 Model year 👍
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 11:13   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

I've always put 5.7 litres in my car, brought it to 3/4 on the dipstick (no higher). Thankfully, I've not had any oil warnings.

I don't use VIDA to change the oil either. Mine is an older P3 though with a physical dipstick & no electronic gauge, so I can understand on the newer models why you'd need VIDA to reset the oil gauge.

In essence though, 0.2 of a litre between 5.7L & 5.9L won't make much difference. There's still plenty of oil in the car, so its perfectly safe to run with that amount.