Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GUIDE: Repairing the wiring loom under your radiator

Views : 13698

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 13:05   #11
JSeaman

The crank's going to be scrap so I've stripped a second bottom end and am using Clevite 0.25 undersize bearings all round, rods, mains and thrust washers. I just need a few hours to pull the engine and figure out what made them let go then I'll throw my 550cc injectors in and go tuning (Innovate wideband and SAFC)
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 15:56   #12
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman View Post
The crank's going to be scrap so I've stripped a second bottom end and am using Clevite 0.25 undersize bearings all round, rods, mains and thrust washers. I just need a few hours to pull the engine and figure out what made them let go then I'll throw my 550cc injectors in and go tuning (Innovate wideband and SAFC)
should be good for 450bhp mark if not a little more think 550cc injectores are ok till the 500bhp mark. do 1jz's like a fast run in? i would lighten, balance and have the crank polished, would mean a more responive pull off boost, im guessing you have a lightend clutch and flywheel combo?

The GDI seems Fine to me and even runs well on 95 Ron.

madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 17:09   #13
JSeaman

Yeah I'm aiming for anything around 400bhp, more than that gets really difficult to put on the road with rwd and no traction control!

550s can be pushed harder but it's a safe area for them to be in with ~80% duty cycle and the pressure I'm running for fuel.

"1jz's like a fast run in"
Not sure what you mean by that?

The 1J (2.5 twin turbo) is a different animal to the 7M (3.0 single turbo) and give a totally different feel to the car. I've done lightened, balanced and polished cranks but it yields very little noticeable gain.

The latest one is auto but I've got an R154 to strap to it while the engine's out. Again, had an RPS flywheel (one of the finest) and didn't rate it as much of a gain. The Spec Stg 3 clutch however was brilliant!

The problem with these cars is that they accelerate just as much at 140 as they do at 70!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 22:32   #14
blairs40

my god man !!, that underside is rusty as hell , im so glad we dont have winters here where the roads need salt .....that would almost be a wof(mot) fail over here in good ol new zealand ....
yikes .
cheers mate
blair
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 22:40   #15
madmodder

Quote:
Yeah I'm aiming for anything around 400bhp, more than that gets really difficult to put on the road with rwd and no traction control!

550s can be pushed harder but it's a safe area for them to be in with ~80% duty cycle and the pressure I'm running for fuel.

"1jz's like a fast run in"
Not sure what you mean by that?

The 1J (2.5 twin turbo) is a different animal to the 7M (3.0 single turbo) and give a totally different feel to the car. I've done lightened, balanced and polished cranks but it yields very little noticeable gain.

The latest one is auto but I've got an R154 to strap to it while the engine's out. Again, had an RPS flywheel (one of the finest) and didn't rate it as much of a gain. The Spec Stg 3 clutch however was brilliant!

The problem with these cars is that they accelerate just as much at 140 as they do at 70!
oh a i know they do, 450bhp mark is where they start becoming work to drive, well your gonna be breaking in or running in the new shells, if the engine will tolerate it do a fast run in, a normal 500 miles driving then do 500mil with a bit more get up and go or if you worried about the strengh look at doing a steady 1000 miles then look at doing 500 at a bit more spirited level of rpm, what your looking for with a polished, lightened and balanced crank is how long it takes to get to revs or how much freeier it revs, the only down side to lightening the crank and flywheel is that you lose inertia, and you know when you have gone to light as the car will stall when coming to the lights so you would be looking at holding a little more revs at idle or upping the idle control valve and bring the idle up a little.

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 22:45   #16
JSeaman

Call that rust, that's a light sprinkling - it's what happens when a few megatons of rock salt are poured on wet roads each year unfortunately!

Oh I see, I thought you were asking about performance. Everyone has their own break in procedure, some go hell for leather from day one, some nurse them for thousands of miles. I go fro a 200 mile oil change and 500-1k miles of gradually working through the rev range then thrash it until it dies

The 7M isn't a particularly revvy engine anyway (unlike the 1J), it's a torque monster so lightened cranks/flywheels don't (imho) work so well. Try fitting an atmospheric dupm valve on an AFM controlled car and you'll know all about stalling at lights
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 23:11   #17
madmodder

Quote:
Call that rust, that's a light sprinkling - it's what happens when a few megatons of rock salt are poured on wet roads each year unfortunately!

Oh I see, I thought you were asking about performance. Everyone has their own break in procedure, some go hell for leather from day one, some nurse them for thousands of miles. I go fro a 200 mile oil change and 500-1k miles of gradually working through the rev range then thrash it until it dies

The 7M isn't a particularly revvy engine anyway (unlike the 1J), it's a torque monster so lightened cranks/flywheels don't (imho) work so well. Try fitting an atmospheric dupm valve on an AFM controlled car and you'll know all about stalling at lights
fair enough, i dont know much about supra's but general tuning is pretty much the same on all cars. my 300z has a MAF(M) and i have had no problems with atmospheric dump valves. so do you have recircs on then?

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 23:25   #18
JSeaman

The problem with AFM as opposed to MAP is that you are releasing metered air so it will affect the car. How varies between cars, models and manufacturers but generally you'll run rich for a while. As standard it's always recirc (I don't know anyone who does a stock atmospheric), but dual piston types such as the Baileys DV26 work fine. HKS SSQBOV are also no trouble.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 16:30   #19
kes1907

Hi,
Thanks for this guide. I have a lot of electrical oddities that volvo say are caused by this very loom. I wanted to try and fix them myself and I found this post.......brilliant!

Only problem is I cannot see any of your uploaded pics, they are all just grey striped squares.....?! Any ideas why

Kyle
kes1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kes1907 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 19:20   #20
JSeaman

The pictures are all there for me - anyone else have any problems?