Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's rattling?

Views : 1832

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 22:57   #11
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

you and me both!!...bushes bushes bushes!!...cheers phil..hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:12   #12
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

There aren't any bushes on the rear anti-roll bar - it simply bolts across the two trailing arms.
It doesn't sound quite like reaction rods, as these vary their noise depending on, reaction, eg when pulling away or putting through a lot of torque on a hill start, especially a sharp left hand climb, for some reason.

In my experience a trailing arm bush takes a lot of rough road to start knocking. Normally the car just sits on the bushes like a dead weight. I've had a totally collapsed bush picked up at an MOT which wasn't making any noise at all.

I have had noises from shock absorbers, which make a constant rattle on everything but a dead smooth surface, independent of torque etc.
Look at the top and bottom bolts - the bushes may be OK and even the nuts tight, but they can be rusted solid with the metal bush still free to rattle on the bolt. Check that the spacer tube on the trailing arm is squeezed tight.
I have also had an annoying internal noise from a low mileage shock absorber, as if some internal spacer was free to bang up and down.
(At the moment I've got a squeaking noise from a pair of heavy duty shock absorbers, sounding like an old farm cart that needs its springs oiling)
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 17:07   #13
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Yes indeed..i know this because i managed to sheer the stabilizer bar bolt on re assembly..its not the sort of thing you can find in a farm workshop..i had to get a bolt and grind it down to fit behind slotted washer and trailing arm..not a lot of clearance there..still its doing its job!..I was in such a hurry to get the trailing arms sorted that i never got around to reaction rod and panhard bushes..so still on the endless list..I"ve heard that the axle bushes are good for ten to twelve years?..(euro car parts)..I do hope so..in no great hurry to revisit...Clifford did you ever sort out your rattling wisbone bush?..I need to change front rear and wonder if a volvo one would be better than a pattern...cheers hj.

Last edited by honestjoe; Aug 12th, 2009 at 17:13. Reason: nuts and bolts!!
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 17:43   #14
stroop

One cause for the rattle could be the spring clips that hold the hand brake shoes in place have been bent and weakened, this has happened to me after trying to get the rear drums off over the shoes
stroop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stroop For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:09   #15
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestjoe View Post
Clifford did you ever sort out your rattling wisbone bush?..I need to change front rear and wonder if a volvo one would be better than a pattern...cheers hj.
Yes and no! I gave up trying to get the "proper" hard bush to stay tight in the bracket housing, so just fitted an ordinary (right hand) one. That's cured the rattle, and it has stayed tight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2014, 23:15   #16
excalibur1

Hi there, got the same clunking noise which I suspect coming from the rear end of my s60 whenever I move off from stationary.I t will just occur once when I drive off,and will never make a clunking noise again until I stop for a whilst.(full stop). Do you think it might be the bushes ? or something to do with the exhaust?
I don't have any idea where to locate those bushes. If you could be kind enough to help me with this, that would greatly appreciated.
excalibur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 08:51   #17
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

Some rattles seemingly from the back can be coming from the front and vice versa. An easy one to check would be the offside anti roll bar mounting.
Old Dec 21st, 2014, 10:14   #18
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Some rattles seemingly from the back can be coming from the front and vice versa.

Definitely! Don't discount anything anywhere.

It can help to have a passenger try to identify the direction. But it's not infallible. I've had a noise that sounded low down in the passenger footwell to me, just like a wishbone bush. My passenger said it was coming from the driver's door trim. In fact, it was the passenger sun visor rattling in the clip.

I've just added a new item to my list of 1001 things that can rattle. The catches on an estate rear folding seat back. A sort of claw thing that hooks over a fixed post. Originally supposed to have some sort of hard plastic sleeve, I think, but invariable worn so that it's just metal to metal.