Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005- V70 D5 185bhp valve rockers

Views : 5125

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2017, 13:30   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Do what you like but i also took the flush/other oil route before changing the lifters
It didnt helped(enough)
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 13:51   #12
sv70

Thanks,I guess changing the lifters is the way to go then,did this totally eradicate the noise,and did you have to change any of the rockers.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 14:29   #13
5cilinder
Premier Member

The rockers seemed fine , but when its open with all the fuss changing them isnt a bad idea
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 14:37   #14
sv70

Thanks for that,cheers.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 22:33   #15
BillDD5

Default Oil spec important

Hi SV70, I've been reading this thread and your impressive entry in the 'How many miles...' one, and notice that your V70 is just ahead of ours in the mileage it has covered.
Our V70 makes the same 'chuffing' sound when hot and idling and has done it for thousands of miles over two years only gradually getting worse.

It will be worth getting a top overhaul done and checking and replacing any worn parts found in addition to the lifters. If it is due a timing belt change then this could be combined.

What is very important is the oil spec for the D5 185. Make sure you use the required A5/B5 spec oil and change it frequently and you will get many, many more miles out of your engine, I am sure.

My local garage had been servicing ours for the last five years and 120,000 miles or so, and had not been using A5/B5 spec oil that is required for this engine. I was not aware of this until recently and I think the damage has been done.... The engine is now worn and burning oil at an increasing rate, filling the DPF all the time. I cannot accelerate hard without it going into limp mode and giving the 'soot filter full' message. I'm not going to bother sorting the lifters on ours as the engine is obviously knackered and I'm trying to decide what to do with it.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 00:01   #16
sv70

Hi BillDD5,thanks for telling me that pal,at least i can stop sweating knowing you have done 2 years with the same problem.I did the cambelt/drivebelt and all pulleys when i purchased it last march,and also used shell helix ultra 0-30's,and all filters.Sorry to hear of your engine,i suppose that is one of the problems of letting a garage do an oil change,you just don't know what inferior stuff they will use to bump up their margins,only way is do it yourself or take them the correct oil and actually watch them do it,good luck with whatever you decide to do with yours,cheers
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 00:06   #17
5cilinder
Premier Member

The a5/b5 is responsible for the worn lifters (and maybe more with the long interval and fueldillution)
The reason it was prescribed was for emissions (low viscosity) and (lower)ashloading in the dpf
Not durabillity

Now a good low ash 5w40 isnt that more in ash deposits and if the engine isnt burning much oil the difference in ashloading will be minimal .
But ashloading isnt a problem when you take the dpf off after 100 or 200000 miles after you manualy regenerated it to burn all the soot so that the ash can be vibrated out like fine sand with the rest with some pressured air

The euro 3 d5ś where prescribed with a4/b4 oils (mostly 5w40) with virtualy the same block as an euro 4 also the lifters are the same
Ive yet to hear the first one that has worn lifters

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 9th, 2017 at 00:08.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 00:16   #18
sv70

Thanks 5cilinder,you have now given me information which will make me start looking on more forums,you would think using the specified oil volvo advises would be right,but maybe not so,i think another can of worms has just opened up,cheers
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 00:21   #19
5cilinder
Premier Member

Be careful . "volvo" is here worshiped like a faultless god
They where also clueless when the oillevels started to rise and just sucked some oil in stead of draining and a fresh refill and let customers drive with the insanely heavy fueldilluted already thin 0w30 wateroil
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 00:31   #20
sv70

I understand where you are coming from,so it boils down to each individual to do their own research,weigh up the pros and cons and do what they think is right,you have certainly give food for thought about the so called experts,i guess thats's another good few hours of trawling the forums now,thanks.