Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Crossmember/Suspension Kit Information

Views : 9392

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2011, 15:22   #11
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilline View Post
Hi Robert
Its looking good ! A concern for me is that the shipping costs for a assembled cross member is going to be very high to the UK. Will you or Paul at Welder Series be offering the cross member in kit form to allow us to fold and weld it up over here? Even better would be the CAD drawing to allow us to get the steel laser cut locally.
Mark
Sorry Mark.. There has been a change here.. After doing some research and parts solutions, I have found the need to offer them in an assembly. So, as of right now, the assemblies will be offered through me, rather than just a crossmember kit.. There are several factors in this decision, like distance for development issues, support for parts, ect, ect.. I have a very reputable manufacturer locally putting these kits together, and they will be professional done. There are several things that have to be made to make this kit a direct bolt in, other than just the crossmember assembly.. I have had to have these other parts made, like the Steering colum support, motor mount stands, ect, ect..

The only way that I feel comfortable ensuring that people get what they need, when it comes to the finish up accessories, is to offer the kit myself.. What I am going to do is this.. I am going to have some made, to which I hopefully have an idea how many people want.. If the interest is there, I will continue to offer them in the future.. I think the interest is definitely there, so it shouldnt be an issue for future purchases.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 21:41   #12
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Put some late model Mustang 16 inch wheels with 50 series tires on the Amazon today.. With the Wider Front Rotor option, the car would look awsome with spacers on the Rear Axle or a wide outer lip wheel. Even with the Wider Rotors, these 16x8 Wheels barely clear, at its current stance. If you run the stock style rotors, there will be NO CLEARANCE Issues.. These are just take off wheels I had laying around and wanted to see if Factory Style Later Model wheels would work at all..

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; May 7th, 2011 at 21:43.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2011, 20:57   #13
jimbo1593
Master Member

Good engineering mate. Shame assembly only as shipping to UK would be horrendous.

I've always thought there could be an easy solution to dumping the steering box and getting a rack in there...now that is a kit I think a few would buy.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:53   #14
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1593 View Post
Good engineering mate. Shame assembly only as shipping to UK would be horrendous.

I've always thought there could be an easy solution to dumping the steering box and getting a rack in there...now that is a kit I think a few would buy.
Thanks.. It is an easy kit now.. ha ha It hasnt been easy to make it so. I have international customers of my glass products that have arrange mutliple buys to save on shipping cost. I have Air shipped my glass products to Australia, which come in large packages, for about 550 dollars.. That is high for sure, but the slower boat shipping is considerably cheaper... I will do some checking on shipping cost to key areas, if I know the area quotes needed..

Flush Mount Glass
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:06   #15
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheonlyreal1 View Post
Thanks.. It is an easy kit now.. ha ha It hasnt been easy to make it so. I have international customers of my glass products that have arrange mutliple buys to save on shipping cost. I have Air shipped my glass products to Australia, which come in large packages, for about 550 dollars.. That is high for sure, but the slower boat shipping is considerably cheaper... I will do some checking on shipping cost to key areas, if I know the area quotes needed..
The UK is small so area quotes are only limited to some very remote Sottish outposts (sorry Mitch) and Isle of widgit/Man. All other areas tend to have the same cost.
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 21:07   #16
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are some pictures of the 11 inch brake set up.. For the 11 inch brake rotor up, I am using a 1 Piece Forged spindle that has the General Motors Caliper brackets made on to them.. I could bring myself to just add a 1/8 steel bracket to the Mustang II style spindle for the larger brakes. From what I understand, these brackets actually flex a bit during hard braking, and you lose some braking effiency.

Below are some pictures, so you can compare the Readily available Mustang II style and the larger Performance Brake option spindle. The standard Mustang II brakes will use the conventional spindles and Bolt on Caliper bracket, which works fine for regular to hard driving.

Standard Mustang II spindle with a standard Ford Caliper Bracket.

Standard Mustang II spindles with ebay and or internet purchased big brake bolt on brackets.. We will not offer these, but it is an option if you decided to upgrade your base unit later.

This is the Big Brake Upgraded Mustang II/General Motors Hybrid. It is a one Piece CNC cut body, that works with the Mustang II Geometry, but allows direct bolt on Rotors and Brake Calipers up to 13 inch in diameter..

Here is an assembly spindle unit with standard cast Calipers and standard 11 inch rotors. These spindles will allow direct bolt on Aftermarket aluminum calipers and drilled/Slotted Rotors. Those components will be an option for purchase, and will be sent with the Suspension/Crossmember Assmembly.

Flush Mount Glass
Old May 9th, 2011, 22:13   #17
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are some pictures with that spindle and Rotor setup with the factory wheels.. As you can see there is a difference in track width from the previous pictures, because this Rotor design is for factory.. The variable options, can come in handy during vehicle set up. Eventhough people may not find it necessary for conventional purposes, it is a nice option to have available for others..

The Factory Ford Mustang Aluminum wheel will fall under the wheel well in the same position, on this Spindle Rotor setup, so wheel options are wide. The picture below is so you can see the track width difference in the optional rotor style. This pic, has the wider track Rotor.

Flush Mount Glass
Old May 15th, 2011, 17:04   #18
joninbude

Kit looks good, and the car looks great !

Will both your front and rear kits work also for an Amazon estate ?

If so, keep me posted, and add me to the list of potential clients in the UK. If the final price works, I would be happy to share shipping costs with people.

Regards, Jonathan.
joninbude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 17:33   #19
Colonel Froth

Can you tell me what the vehicle height is relative to stock, when the upper control arms are horizontal please? There's no rush, just the next time you happen to have the car in this state is there any chance you could measure it. Or even just take a picture. Thanks.

- Oh and the 'width' measurement of the control arm too, the distance from the bushing axis to the spherical bearing. Thanks

Last edited by Colonel Froth; May 15th, 2011 at 18:10.
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 18:43   #20
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Froth View Post
Can you tell me what the vehicle height is relative to stock, when the upper control arms are horizontal please? There's no rush, just the next time you happen to have the car in this state is there any chance you could measure it. Or even just take a picture. Thanks.

- Oh and the 'width' measurement of the control arm too, the distance from the bushing axis to the spherical bearing. Thanks
The car pictured above has 2 inch drop spindles and is at the bottom of the Coil Over adjustment. It will achieve factory height with the stock mustang ii spindles with ease, and it will almost do it with the drop spindles..

With the Amazon above, I have it set between 4 and 5 inches off the ground with proper alignment, including factory Camber specs.. As far as the length of the control arms, they are a standard Mustang II lenght for the bottom, and the upper is a custom length achieved with the Quick Adjust Uppers. The quick adjust uppers are not necessary for the vehicle to sit low or factory height, I was using them for development and testing for quick adjustment of race cambers allowances with the factory upper control arm mounting points. If you are concerned with suspension travel, this suspension is capable of way more travel than the factory Volvo..

If you have a particular need or suspension articulation, let me know, and I will test it for you.. Rear world movement is better than estimating.. ha ha

Flush Mount Glass

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; May 15th, 2011 at 18:47.