Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 D5 Polestar, quick question - is it a dedicated mode?

Views : 1994

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2020, 17:25   #11
jotka

hah. I have installed this today to my D5.
The difference can be seen in any mode (well, I have tried Comfort and Dynamic). There's also a separate "Polestar" mode.
What a fun to drive No regrets.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 20:37   #12
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotka View Post
hah. I have installed this today to my D5.
The difference can be seen in any mode (well, I have tried Comfort and Dynamic). There's also a separate "Polestar" mode.
What a fun to drive No regrets.
I guess there's some confusion in your comments some misunderstanding probably... there's no such thing. there's mode Polestar Engineered that replaces dynamic depending on your car software updates. If you still don't have the latest updates... then you will Confort and Dynamic after you did polestar optimisation. but not dynamic and Polestar Engineered modes together in drive modes screen.
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 13:49   #13
volvocat

I'm no technical expert (far from it!) but, having had Polestar on five of my eight Volvos (so far), for what it's worth, my understanding - and experience - is that it affects all modes but, being a performance enhancement, is only noticeable when called upon in Comfort and Eco; when you mash the loud pedal, the response is greater than it would be without P*, otherwise the modes behave as normal.
In other words, if you find you need instant extra power for an unplanned/unexpected manoeuvre like an overtake, but don't have time to change drive modes, the car will respond in Polestar fashion.
Not much point in having it if you have to manually switch it on in all circumstances every time you need it.
In Polestar mode (and Individual if you have 4C), the sharpened throttle and gearbox responses are more noticeable all the time and are more readily available across a wider rev. range, as you'd expect.
Hope that helps...?
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 14:35   #14
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
I'm no technical expert (far from it!) but, having had Polestar on five of my eight Volvos (so far), for what it's worth, my understanding - and experience - is that it affects all modes but, being a performance enhancement, is only noticeable when called upon in Comfort and Eco; when you mash the loud pedal, the response is greater than it would be without P*, otherwise the modes behave as normal.
In other words, if you find you need instant extra power for an unplanned/unexpected manoeuvre like an overtake, but don't have time to change drive modes, the car will respond in Polestar fashion.
Not much point in having it if you have to manually switch it on in all circumstances every time you need it.
In Polestar mode (and Individual if you have 4C), the sharpened throttle and gearbox responses are more noticeable all the time and are more readily available across a wider rev. range, as you'd expect.
Hope that helps...?
I have no idea whether you are right or not, but that sounds extremely logical to me and how I would expect it to work. Unfortunately not really had any cause to use mine yet - Mainly pottering around town on electric only. Will we ever get back to the days of driving for fun and not just essentials? I can dream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moonlanders For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 20:51   #15
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Hope that helps...?

What do you mean? Polestar optimisation lowers the car even more than in normal dynamic mode without P*?
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 13:25   #16
laundryman
The Engineer

As Volvocat writes:
'if you find you need instant extra power for an unplanned/unexpected manoeuvre like an overtake, but don't have time to change drive modes, the car will respond in Polestar fashion.' ie it affects the engine power,steering, gearbox & brake response immeadiately. The suspension takes a few seconds to change so I am not seeing it lowered.
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 15:17   #17
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
What do you mean? Polestar optimisation lowers the car even more than in normal dynamic mode without P*?
Sorry, no idea - mine's a V90CC - as I understand it, it's only SUV suspension that alters ride height - and even then, I thought it was just when stationary to aid access. I don't think Polestar affects suspension settings. Open to correction but, as I say, I have no experience of 4C on XC60/90.

Last edited by volvocat; Oct 31st, 2020 at 15:24.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 15:23   #18
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
As Volvocat writes:
'if you find you need instant extra power for an unplanned/unexpected manoeuvre like an overtake, but don't have time to change drive modes, the car will respond in Polestar fashion.' ie it affects the engine power,steering, gearbox & brake response immeadiately. The suspension takes a few seconds to change so I am not seeing it lowered.
As I understand it, Polestar does not affect suspension - if you want a stiffer setting, you have to go to Individual drive mode which will 'switch on' whatever settings you have pre-set.
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 06:32   #19
jotka

Quote:
my understanding - and experience - is that it affects all modes but, being a performance enhancement, is only noticeable when called upon in Comfort and Eco; when you mash the loud pedal, the response is greater than it would be without P*, otherwise the modes behave as normal.
Yes, but I also think, that the whole gearbox response is also modified in Comfort mode. The car reacts slightly faster to what I'm doing with the pedal.
Switching to "Polestar Engineered" changes the characteristics totally
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 20:16   #20
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotka View Post
Yes, but I also think, that the whole gearbox response is also modified in Comfort mode. The car reacts slightly faster to what I'm doing with the pedal.
Switching to "Polestar Engineered" changes the characteristics totally
Yes, as it should!
OK, perhaps you've noticed more difference in Comfort 'lower down' than I have - we're talking principles here; but in practice it's bound to vary slightly from car to car and driver to driver - your S90 D5 compared to my V90CC T6. But that difference will always be very obvious under more demanding conditions. 😎
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post: