Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering

Views : 2084

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2023, 15:34   #11
DOGSTAR

hi,
No there is no play when pulling the shaft toward the cabin of the csr. The spring compresses against the outer casing item 21 on my picture. Obviously if you let go of the column the spring returns pushing it out of the casing but tighening the steering wheel nut pulls the colmun up through but it just seems the couling and steering wheel need something to space them apart but there is nothing missing on my car compared to that in the diagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
Looks to me that the only thing stopping the column pulling up is the bearing race at the bottom, if there is slack here that could give you an issue, is there any play in the shaft in and out
DOGSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 22:13   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

#21 is the bearing and that pushes inside the tube. It won't do that if it is the wrong way round. When pushed in the spring then goes inside the bearing casing as it is smaller in diameter.
Is your steering column the same as the parts illustration or like this one? Difference is that your pic shows the upper mount for the flexi disc to be part of the shaft and this one I am posting has a splined fitting the same as the lower one.
Good luck with the puller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120 steering column.jpg (60.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 120 steering column parts.jpg (119.9 KB, 4 views)
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 13:51   #13
Rustinmotion

Can you just add a washer on the splined shaft? If that allows the wheel to be tightened up without rubbing the cowl it rules out play in the shaft and points to the shaft being installed too deep in the outer housing
Does that make sense?
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 13:55   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

The splines on the wheel and shaft just mate together so the position is fixed. Being a taper the amount of movement when the nut is tightened is basically nil. There is nowhere to add a washer.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 17:03   #15
DOGSTAR

Hi Derek,
Puller now in my possession!
So now you have posted the second schematic, i am now doubting which configuration i have. I will have a look and take a picture, but not going to have a chance probably til next week now, although the comment re the bearing being the wrong way around is interesting, but my thoughts are this has never been touched.
As soon as i can i will post more info.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
#21 is the bearing and that pushes inside the tube. It won't do that if it is the wrong way round. When pushed in the spring then goes inside the bearing casing as it is smaller in diameter.
Is your steering column the same as the parts illustration or like this one? Difference is that your pic shows the upper mount for the flexi disc to be part of the shaft and this one I am posting has a splined fitting the same as the lower one.
Good luck with the puller.
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 17:13   #16
DOGSTAR

Originally when i stripped it all down i saw that item 60 the washer was missing so thought that was the problem, it was not! Looking at that washer i do not understand what it does do as it sits on top of the bearing casing but is not held in place when tightened down, as the cancelling indicator bracket part 59 sits further up the shaft toward the steering wheel, and as derek says the shaft is tapered so only travels down a set distance.
I thought the same thing as yourself, why noy get a large washer or a number of them and space it out, but this does not do anything as it binds against the cancelling bracket and still pushes against the couling. I may take a video and post the link for it on you tube.

I have quite a few more grey hairs since trying to solve this, and yes my guess is it is still something very ,that someone would look, and answer the issue i have!

Thank you for thoughts on this.
Quote:
Can you just add a washer on the splined shaft? If that allows the wheel to be tightened up without rubbing the cowl it rules out play in the shaft and points to the shaft being installed too deep in the outer housing
Does that make sense?
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 18:34   #17
Rustinmotion

Can anyone measure the distance the shaft sticks out? Either the shaft is sitting too far into the support tube or for some reason the wheel is going further on
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 22:51   #18
DOGSTAR

What would you reference the measurement against?

Quote:
Can anyone measure the distance the shaft sticks out? Either the shaft is sitting too far into the support tube or for some reason the wheel is going further on
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 23:37   #19
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSTAR View Post
What would you reference the measurement against?
Anything fixed but whatever the cowl fixes to is probably best
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 10:17   #20
DOGSTAR

Yes but what what i mean is once you have that what do you reference the mesurement with? I dont think there is a tolerance stated for what it should be so wouldnt know if the measurement i take is right or wrong?

Quote:
Anything fixed but whatever the cowl fixes to is probably best