Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

12O bhp turbo

Views : 1232

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2015, 00:00   #11
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Apparently matt you can use purge in it and yes mate I can well imagine with those tiny holes.
That's what I meant lol. I've never used purge mind you so don't ask me how it works lol

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 00:04   #12
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Look in the Diesel engine section mate they have clearly explained it too me seems like a good idea matt
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 09:40   #13
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I can't remember if you said you'd checked/replaced your MAF?

Feedback from the MAF controls fueling and turbo boost so it needs to be right before chasing down everything else. Same goes for the map sensor.

I think I am repeating myself but I believe there is no waste gate on the 115bhp diesel. Its a variable nozzle job, see here - http://www.btnturbo.com/parts/model/volvo/v40.aspx

See it has the VNT suffix. You can click through for more info on the turbo.
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 13:08   #14
kieran40
I've Been Banned

They do have actuators/wastegate bob, I'm going to go for injectors then after that n75 valve then after that god only knows no eml light on which is a pain because I could get a code and find out for sure.

Do these cars have map sensors or just a maf. Before this happened it was idling rough which kind of points into the injector theory. Having matt or gatos close by would be handy lol

It does have a map but would that cause the issues http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S40-...item27f995658c

Last edited by kieran40; Apr 5th, 2015 at 13:23.
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 19:25   #15
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
They do have actuators/wastegate bob, I'm going to go for injectors then after that n75 valve then after that god only knows no eml light on which is a pain because I could get a code and find out for sure.

Do these cars have map sensors or just a maf. Before this happened it was idling rough which kind of points into the injector theory. Having matt or gatos close by would be handy lol

It does have a map but would that cause the issues http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S40-...item27f995658c
The check engine light only responds to some basic faults, although you will need the Volvo software for a list. There are a lot of other hidden fault codes that are significant, but don't trigger a warning or check light.
I think all the V40's have a MAF (Mass air flow) sensor and MAP is another way of saying ECU program.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 22:15   #16
coffeejunky
Young Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
MAP is another way of saying ECU program.
It can also refer to Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor, which some petrol V40s have instead of a MAF.
As for Diesels, haven't a clue, sorry
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 22:27   #17
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

No waste gate on a VNT type turbo.

http://www.btnturbo.com/spindoctor/vt.aspx

The actuator on the turbo moves vanes that alter the flow of exhaust through the turbine.

MAF faults don't bring on the check engine light from personal experience. Neither does a fault in the glow plug circuit!

The MAP I was referring to is the manifold absolute pressure sensor which is the one with a shiny label saying 'singapore' on it (as per kierans link)

The MAF being the sensor attached to the lid of the of the air filter box.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vo...a21652c&000009
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 23:04   #18
kieran40
I've Been Banned

I've got a maf knocking about somewhere I will try it I think it's going to be a case of taking it in somewhere and getting the hidden codes read it could be just about a million things wrong it's something daft I know that, car is perfect on the flat it's only noticeable up hills for example it's a weird one I don't want to be throwing endless amounts of cash on parts I don't need.