Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing Belt Change [Engine D5252T]

Views : 16287

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 19:19   #11
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

hi
you may incur more charges if they change the pump timing belt, although it has basic settings it needs to be set up with the proper diagnostic kit.the pump timing is set when the engine has reached certain stages ie engine temp and diesel temp, when these are correct and the engine at idle the test is started and a figure is read in degrees to what the pump timing is at and should be at for old and and new belts if the tolerence is out then you have to adjust on the bottom adjuster to get the correct reading whilst the engine is running although you can stop the engine adjust start and so on this takes time. it sounds complicated but its not,hope this gives you a bit more info in your quest.down hear they can charge at an ind £70 plus just for the timing alone for all the items that you are doing i paid £500 plus3 years ago.
regards
mike
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 19:24   #12
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

where abouts in scotland are you, i will be at fort william with a scanner at the end of june for two weeks at glen nevis .
mike
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 21:23   #13
commanderlg

Hi Mike,

I am in Glasgow, so just about 1 hour or so from Fort William.

I apoke to my garage and it has been agreed that I buy the stuff and they will fit it.

So, please correct me if I am wrong, but the stuff neded just for engine timing should be:

1. Timing belt kit A [engine left hand side]. This seems to include all the pulleys, but not the tensioner, so the tensioner is an extra to include.

2. Timing belt kit B [engine right hand side]. This is the diesel pump belt and pulleys. Not sure if it requires a tensioner as well.

3. Water pump.

4. Auxiliary belt, which drives the A/C and such... Is this the drive belt?

In regards to the diesel pump, I have no idea how long it lasts before it kicks the bucket [car has 126.000 miles], but when it does, it costs £700.

No easy stuff this but I am posting progress here and when I have it right, I will complete this post with photos, because I just know it will help thousands of people with V70 Estates 2.5D.

Rgds

Lewis

"Road sense is the offspring of courtesy and the parent of safety".
Australian Traffic Rule, quoted by Maud van Buren

Last edited by commanderlg; Apr 28th, 2009 at 21:34.
commanderlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 22:52   #14
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

hi lewis.
what you have listed is correct, when i had mine done i had the tensioners replaced as well so thats your choice, pl;ease let us no how you get on and good luck .
if you need anymore help please ask.
mike
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 23:30   #15
commanderlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
hi lewis.
what you have listed is correct, (...) if you need anymore help please ask.
mike
Mike,

Many thanks, much appreciated.

L.

Old Apr 30th, 2009, 00:02   #16
commanderlg

Smile Bits & Pieces

Here are the bits and pieces for the big timing belt change... Anyone more experienced, please correct if needed.

Bearing in mind there still may be errors, these are the bits apparently needed to get the job done properly when we change the timing belt on these V70 D5252T Diesel engines:

I - MAIN TIMING BELT KIT

The belt passes around the top camshaft and the bottom crankshaft, as well as the water pump. It has one tensioner only, I am told. See photo:

II - WATER PUMP

Integral part of a main timing belt change, because it may seize if not changed, even though the belt is new. Two photos below offering two views for easy identification of the part:

III - TIMING BELT KIT B [DIESEL PUMP TIMING BELT]

This is smaller than the other one [?], takes two tensioners it appears. I am slightly surprised, because I imagined this would be a bigger belt than the main Kit one... Others in the forum may be able to clarify if this is correct or not. Photo below:

IV - AUXILIARY BELT [DRIVE BELT]

This gets replaced as well. It drives the power steering [PAS] and the A/Conditioning compressor unit. Any tensioners needed here? Not sure! The two photos show the whole belt and the detail, as this belt is known also by the name of V-Ribbed Belt:

Hope this helps anyone having the same difficulties I have experienced with this big service in my car.

Rgds

Old Apr 30th, 2009, 18:41   #17
V70 Windsurfer
Bloody nice bloke

There is only one tensioner for the timing belt, the other side of the belt runs the water pump. Not sure what the other belt you've shown is from. See the attachment for a picture
Attached Files
File Type: doc Timing belt diesel.doc (191.5 KB, 60 views)
Volvo V70 Classic TDI (1998), 200000miles, averaging over 48mpg (best 52.07mpg @ 60mph). Best Volvo I've ever owned and still going strong. Purchased in 2006 at 104000 miles; Sold at 212000miles in 2014.

Volvo XC70 D5 (2009) with 27000miles
V70 Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 18:53   #18
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderlg View Post
Here are the bits and pieces for the big timing belt change... Anyone more experienced, please correct if needed.

Bearing in mind there still may be errors, these are the bits apparently needed to get the job done properly when we change the timing belt on these V70 D5252T Diesel engines:

I - MAIN TIMING BELT KIT

The belt passes around the top camshaft and the bottom crankshaft, as well as the water pump. It has one tensioner only, I am told. See photo:

II - WATER PUMP

Integral part of a main timing belt change, because it may seize if not changed, even though the belt is new. Two photos below offering two views for easy identification of the part:

III - TIMING BELT KIT B [DIESEL PUMP TIMING BELT]

This is smaller than the other one [?], takes two tensioners it appears. I am slightly surprised, because I imagined this would be a bigger belt than the main Kit one... Others in the forum may be able to clarify if this is correct or not. Photo below:

IV - AUXILIARY BELT [DRIVE BELT]

This gets replaced as well. It drives the power steering [PAS] and the A/Conditioning compressor unit. Any tensioners needed here? Not sure! The two photos show the whole belt and the detail, as this belt is known also by the name of V-Ribbed Belt:

Hope this helps anyone having the same difficulties I have experienced with this big service in my car.

Rgds
hi
yes thats all the kit you need belt kit B is correct as well,so good luck when you get it done and i hope they have the kit for the dynamic pump timing.
mike
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 19:37   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

dont forget the new crank pulley bolts including the big one , its more important to get these renewed and correctly tightened than doing a new cam belt !
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 19:43   #20
V70 Windsurfer
Bloody nice bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70 Windsurfer View Post
There is only one tensioner for the timing belt, the other side of the belt runs the water pump. Not sure what the other belt you've shown is from. See the attachment for a picture
Sorry, just figured it out, the other belts for the diesel pump; just me being thick. Hope it goes well. Regards, Jon
Volvo V70 Classic TDI (1998), 200000miles, averaging over 48mpg (best 52.07mpg @ 60mph). Best Volvo I've ever owned and still going strong. Purchased in 2006 at 104000 miles; Sold at 212000miles in 2014.

Volvo XC70 D5 (2009) with 27000miles
V70 Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote