Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v40 gdi misfire.

Views : 2656

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2012, 18:53   #11
pinhead
Master Member

engine light has come on? maybe this is ignition related, check the plugs quick and see what condition they're in, no way of getting new ones today so give them a good clean off, check gaps etc and refit
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 10:26   #12
davidstrongbow

well i didnt get chance yesterday and today she is running horribly, managed to drop me daughter to her mothers for the rest of the day now im stuck. had to cancel my familial visiting. hey ho. so tomorrow im goingg to go to halfrauds and pick up the right spark -plug tool. can anyone advise?
davidstrongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 12:27   #13
davidstrongbow

hello. i got the plugs out today. the first one was soaked in oil, actually in the plug recess, the coilpack was lagged in oil too, any ideas what might have caused this?

all the plugs have been taken out and cleaned, another 2 were a bit oily but no where near as lagged as the first (far left) one.

ive turned her over and she seems a bit better but still misfiring some.

any ideas??
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 15:55   #14
davidstrongbow

anybody??

could it be a knackered injector?
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 18:53   #15
pinhead
Master Member

i wouldnt say a knackered injector, but definitely running rough due to the oil, but sadly this could be a number of things and just sounds like another gdi trying to end its life, could be anything without actually seeing the vehicle. im thinking find a friendly local garage that will diagnose the problem without giving you a bill
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 11:45   #16
davidstrongbow

ok, been to see volvo. theyve said because of the oil in the recesses its a rocker cover gasket failure. the car is due a cambelt change so its going in for new pulleys belts and gaskets, £550 all in. not toooo bad. gulp!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 17:18   #17
pinhead
Master Member

ouch!!! bit on the expensive side, but saying that its a gdi

at least you know where the problem is though
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 17:27   #18
davidstrongbow

Talking

AND a coilpacks gone!! checked it earlier, so i could have it running for £70.... but will bite the bullet and sort the gasket, and hope its worth while, doing the timing belt.
i do alot of motorway miles and dont hang about so im not too worried about the coking up issues.
changed the sparkplugs for volvo ones, and even on 3 cylinders i could tell the difference. the old plugs were 4 terminal bosch jobs.

so ive learned, for a gdi use the right plugs, and if theres oil in the plug recesses its a rocker cover gasket.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 19:50   #19
pinhead
Master Member

do you need a coil pack? got some used gdi ones here if you need them, let me know and you can have one for postage cost
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 08:07   #20
Rachony

It will be an injector. I had the same issue with my GDI and it took months to figure it out. I didn't have to turn engine off after a long run in the end, just sit at idle for 5 minutes and it would start misfiring and light would come on. I managed to trace which injector it was with a cheap code reader, lots of patience and learning how to take the intake manifold off in record time! I removed all 4 injectors and sent them away to be 'cleaned' but this ended up sending me down the wrong path as even though the report said all 4 were good, it turned out that 2 of them were faulty causing both issues I had, 1 was a constant misfire and the other was misfire when hot and the engine was turned off and restarted. Both are sorted now and it runs like a dream with non supermarket fuel.

2003 S40 GDI
Rachony is offline   Reply With Quote