Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

one fault after another

Views : 1982

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:13   #11
TurboZutek
Premier Member

One thing to have a look at - get the engine running and with an automotive stethoscope, listen to each fuel injector and check they are all firing correctly.

While the symptoms you post in each case are all a bit different, the root cause could be a stuck OPEN injector or one that's failing to close properly. This will lead to a bunch of unburnt fuel upsetting the mixture to a degree the lamda can't cope with. This will also give you that petrol smell of unburnt fuel 'cause the exhaust will be full of it.

A stuck or slow injector may not in itself generate a code.

/Quick and easy check, worth doing

Chris...
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:47   #12
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70100k View Post
I run an Android phone, but I believe there is similar available - might look into it..
Look for an app called "Torque" as that can do what you need although to use it you will require an OBD-II Bluetooth unit such as the device made by OBD-KEY (Google the name and it will find the supplier)

Quote:
If they make a sensible suggestion I guess it might be worth my while looking at the ETM.
Have a read of a post I made in This Thread as that details how to clean the ETM, it's not difficult to do at all - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 23:41   #13
ironmark

Wink

Hi,sorry for the confusion over the AAC valve,this is mounted near the MAF SENSOR and was only on 2000/2001 model year cars. It takes air from the intake pipe between the Airbox and the throttle housing (ETM) and has a pipe going to the fuel rail (injectors).. I had a non turbo 2.4 C70 2000MY where this was intermittently sticking open,cleaned it out and all was ok, often forgotton in favour of etm! I am interested in your dtc's stored, catalyser codes are generally a result of incorrect mixture and usually caused by something else than a failed cat. I am not doubting your local garage but something seems to be causing all of this,103k is nothing to these engines if regular services completed. Just a note, have you checked with your local dealer if your ECM + ETM softwares are up to date? It costs them nothing to check and can do it on reg no, dont need car there. May be reluctant tho so quote watchdog! ;_) Let me no how u get on ecm upgrade approx £10, ETM upgrade approx £1.50 both plus vat and Labour of coursework/
ironmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 22:15   #14
V70100k

Hiya - thanks for that Chris
I'm letting them have their play on Monday - I think they know that I'm a bit peeved about it all - I find it really hard to believe that three different things can go so badly wrong so close together! As ironmark says 103k isn't a lot for a well maintained big Volvo lump - and I've always happily paid over the money for maintenance - I've never scrimped - but this is trying my patience. The lamda was faulty for at least nine months tho! The second fault really felt electrical - like I said in the old days when your HT broke down under load - would injector failure feel the same, like REALLY the same?
V70100k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 22:17   #15
V70100k

Hi Mike
Thanks so much for that APP name - I like gadgets and might just invest - I guess it will come in handy with future vehicles - if my Volvo dies I'm not sure what my budget will allow as a replacement!!
I'm waiting to hear what they come up with tomorrow - then I might visit your thread on the ETM checks and cleaning.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 22:20   #16
s60t5xp

Have you not checked the mass air flow meter as that would be my first point off call if the car has dont that amout of miles might need changing. The maf will cause emision problems a it regulates the air.
s60t5xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 22:21   #17
V70100k

Hi again ironmark
That's interesting - you mean update and upgrade my car's ECU?
Are the AAC pipes like old vacuum advance and retard connections? - I think I remember seeing those near the air filter - can't check now as the car is sulking in the garage - LOL.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 22:57   #18
ironmark

Hi,yes, the ECM (Engine Control Module) and the ETM (Electronic Throttle Module) are both capable units of accepting software upgrades, this is like the modern way of tuning. It wont increase your horsepower but will iron out any bugs that can sometimes cause ghost codes or adaption problems. I think in your case there is something other than this, but the softwares are from Volvos own database and just like any computer always runs best on the latest operating software. The aac valves pipes are approx the size of a heater hose (25mm) so if youve not noticed it, its probably not fitted! Hope its resolved cheaply and quickly! :-S
ironmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 23:01   #19
jeffreyt

my 2000 V70 xc T5 auto had exactly the same symptons after a new lambda sensor was fitted. So,put the old lambda back and fitted a new maf and its running really smoothly.
I thought my Alfa Spider was the most unreliable car ever made but am coming to the conclusion these early P.2 V 70s run them a close second.
Hope you get it sorted without it costing too much more.
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 23:45   #20
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
The second fault really felt electrical - like I said in the old days when your HT broke down under load - would injector failure feel the same, like REALLY the same?
Sure! If your injector(s) are cocking around it can cause peaks, flat spots, surges, misfires and all manner of other oddities that feel like it could be a million other problems.

The solution is simple, check them for leaks and correct operation with a stethoscope or even an oscilloscope on the wiring harness.

Chris...