Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0w/30 castrol

Views : 4803

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 21:12   #11
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
Is the 2.0D engine a Ford engine then? I was under the impression it was a Peugot engine.
same in various guises in ford, pug, citreon (ofc part of PSA), volvo quite a few cars tbh.

ironically i think volvo produced the most of them i heard...
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 21:25   #12
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askim98 View Post
this engine was developed by Peugeot engineers in France on behalf of both PSA and Ford Motor Company.
Thanks for that, askim. I hope that Ford had plenty of input into it then because i don't have a lot of faith in French build qaulity!
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 21:31   #13
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyted View Post
Thanks for that, askim. I hope that Ford had plenty of input into it then because i don't have a lot of faith in French build qaulity!
i think in the end it ended up more ford than PSA.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 21:47   #14
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
i think in the end it ended up more ford than PSA.
Very reassuring!
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 21:51   #15
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
same in various guises in ford, pug, citreon (ofc part of PSA), volvo quite a few cars tbh.

ironically i think volvo produced the most of them i heard...
That's very interesting. Needless to say i have a lot of faith in Volvo build quality!

Have had my 2.0D for about 18 months now, it has just under 30k on the clock (i am second owner), and it's an excellent engine with a hefty amount of torque, but 30k is young in the life of an engine so plenty of time yet for things to go wrong...

Last edited by froggyted; Mar 8th, 2012 at 21:53.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 21:55   #16
Ninja59

what plate? i am upto 38K.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 22:06   #17
froggyted
Master Member

Mine is 08 plate (09 facelift spec.).

When i get around to it in the next 2 or 3 weeks i will be posting an appraisal of my car based on 18 months use. It's a 2.0D Powershift SE Lux - both the first diesel and the first automatic i've ever had. To briefly summarise what i'll say in that appraisal, i think it's an excellent car - well built, good looking, nice handling, power that instils confidence, and superbly equipped and designed. There are so many thoughtful features that have gone into the design of this car it would be hard to list them all, such as the excellent DIM, and the way the courtesy lights turn off automatically after a while if you accidentally leave them on and lock up, avoiding a drained battery, etc. etc. Very intelligent and user-friendly design, easily the best car i've owned, and it beats the pants off the S40 Classic which i previously owned.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 22:12   #18
Ninja59

interesting first volvo, first diesel (although i have driven a few), my most powerful so far , only real issue my 2.0D has flagged in the time i have had mine since 14500 to now is the well known throttle body issue. plenty of grunt when you want it though! oh and the fact that i always thought 136bhp was a little precise i have seen most 2.0D's at around 150 standard
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 22:26   #19
froggyted
Master Member

Quote:
interesting first volvo, first diesel (although i have driven a few), my most powerful so far , only real issue my 2.0D has flagged in the time i have had mine since 14500 to now is the well known throttle body issue. plenty of grunt when you want it though! oh and the fact that i always thought 136bhp was a little precise i have seen most 2.0D's at around 150 standard
Could you expand on those points, ninja, i'm not sure what you mean. What is the throttle body issue, i haven't experienced it, and are you saying that most 2.0D S40s actually chuck out 150bhp or just 2.0D engines generally? Although this is the first car i've ever owned where i feel i have a bit of power in reserve when overtaking (which inspires confidence rather than angst!) i wouldn't say no to the newest D3 engine which replaces it: i can't remember the figures but i know it's got both higher power output and considerably better fuel economy too.

This is my fourth Volvo. I had a near miss in a Ford Capri years ago when brakes pulling nearly took me into the path of an oncoming hgv. I was very lucky to escape unscathed, indeed with my life, and it got me thinking more about safety. I looked into it and liked Volvo's philosophy, putting safety ahead of power and gimmickry, so went ahead. My first, a 340, could have put me off Volvo - poor handling and lots of electrical faults - but the 440, the S40 Classic, and the S40 i currently own have all impressed me, and of course you can now have both safety and power in a Volvo. The other manufacturers have more or less caught up i guess, but mainly due to being forced by legislation, whereas Volvo had safety in their DNA from the start.

Last edited by froggyted; Mar 8th, 2012 at 22:32.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:44   #20
Ninja59

throttle body issue is where the flap sticks and basically you struggle to start or eventually it refuses to start like mine either clean it up or get new one

most 2.0D's that have been on rolling road at least in c30 format have been nearer 150 - most conservatively 10 - 12 up on quoted figures and considering there were in fact two versions of the 2.0D a 136 and 138 it makes it quite amusing.

yeah the D3 and D4 are effectively shorter stroke D5's reduced to 2.0 litres in capacity and 5 cylinder engines. Personally though i would stick with the old faithful i do not want a flipping DPF!