Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

So many 940s unsold ........

Views : 2436

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 18:11   #11
Kevs Estate

As mentioned in an earlier post. I cannot understand someone who will not spend a couple of hundred pounds to get another MOT, because the car is not worth it. Then sign up for a loan for £200 a month, for a newer car, which will still need servicing and MOT ect. But I think insurance is a problem on 940's as they are mostly in groups 14/15 which can get expensive, as we all know.
Kevs Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 19:06   #12
JMallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymo View Post

On my last 2 cars I've actually kept a spreadsheet on running costs. Just purchase and service costs. And it makes interesting reading. Financially, you can never get past the massive cost of a new car.

The one I've just scrapped cost me 15p per mile, combined purchase and service. And that includes a few expensive service items (ss exhaust etc.).

The one I've got is costing me 34p per mile. But that will drop fast as the mileage increases and the purchase price (a whole £1200) becomes negligible.
Dont suppose i could have a copy of those spreadsheets could i? I have a spreadsheet just for the mpg and cost per mile for fuel, but have been looking to extend it for a while, it would be nice to see how you have done things.

Thanks
JMallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 23:40   #13
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default What car?

I love my B230ET, and my B234F - but they have been SHATTERINGLY costly to run - brake discs every few thousand miles, head gasket after head gasket, clutch after clutch.

But at least most of the parts (anyone got a B234F cam carrier?) can be got out of scrapyards, whereas whiteblocks eat liners and blocks without warning - and don't get me started on the B28/B280 nightmares.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 00:09   #14
Chrali

Gotta be honest not sure I'd have put up with that much. How comes you're lunching head gaskets and clutches? 'Enthusiastic" driving perchance?

Perhaps I'll leave my LPT boost alone and save my h/g.
Chrali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:37   #15
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Durability

I think part of it may be down to garages putting cheap pattern parts on (apart from the front discs, the Volvo ones of those are pants). The garage that last did the H/G on my B230ET rang me and said "The H/G is in, but frankly I wouldn't put one like that on my car" - and I told them to get a good one, and touch wood it s now 15 months later.

I'm pretty sure that the clutches that went into my B234F and my B200ET were cheapo ****: big snatch and judder problems - while I was recently having my B234F re-engined (bottom hose jubilee clip rusted off - bingo no water) I had an LUK put in and so far it feels lovely.

I am debating whether to move up to Black Diamond brakes next time.

Yes, I am an "enthusiastic" driver.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:19   #16
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Golden rule with the 940 is NEVER let any garage anywhere near them.

Also, if (as I read so often on here) you are in the habit of being heavy on the pedals.....then of course you'll pay the price. It ain't rocket science.

These are beautiful cars, made to be driven sensibly and with respect.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 17:21   #17
bluesntwos

We just paid £1000 for a lovely 940 2.3 GLE Estate. 2 owners from new, last owner 13 years and 119k with full Volvo history. I know we probably paid on the high side but everything works and it had obviously been looked after (I have seen a lot around which are very shabby). We are getting 29-31mpg and got rid of a 54-plate V50 which seemed to be having quite a few issues. We needed something bigger anyway and I think the 1990's Volvos, as Mercedes, BMW, etc where very well engineered. We can also let our tame mechanic work on it without feeling obliged to return to Volvo so they could plug it in to the wonder computer.

I think the nice ones will always find a home whereas the shabby, monster mileage ones will struggle. Same with all cars really.
bluesntwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 17:37   #18
JMallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMallows View Post
Dont suppose i could have a copy of those spreadsheets could i? I have a spreadsheet just for the mpg and cost per mile for fuel, but have been looking to extend it for a while, it would be nice to see how you have done things.

Thanks

Hi, i got your PM, tried to reply but it doesnt let me until i have 30 posts... Dont really want my e-mail on public display, but, if you PM me your e-mail, then i can e-mail you my e-mail!

Thanks
JMallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 18:25   #19
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

I have a 940 LPT Turbo saloon that i picked up for £200 that is perfect, just put through mot and it flew through no problems.

I keep it about as a spare car for me or for friends and family should there modern stuff break down and they need a car to borrow on a short term. To keep them running is very cheap as mentioned above, there downside is there thirst for fuel but as people have said above cheaper paying an extra £20 a month in fuel than £250 for finance payments.

The only problem has been though there respective insurance companies have refused to swap there policys over to the 940 as its too fast or powerfull a car!!!!

Both people that have wanted to borrow it had Mondeo TDCi's which are far faster than the 940 is supposedly stock and yet there insurers wouldnt swap across or wanted twice as much as the mondeo to insure it.

I rung up to insure it as a 2nd car for myself and was quoted near £500 for a classic 3000mile policy. i'm 32 with full NCB's. Needless to say it just sits uninsured and unused on the drive.

I'm going to see if my father who's now retired and nearly 59 can insure it as a 2nd car on a classic policy with say saga for very little and if so then sign the car over to him and insure it that way, then i and others can borrow it under the drive any other vehicle not owned by you condition.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 18:34   #20
GrandadRob

Quote...brake discs after brake discs...unquote.

I put a new pair of front ones on about 40k miles ago, because one was warped. Since then all ok, even pads last ages and ages.

Gently does it !
GrandadRob is offline   Reply With Quote