Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo's image around the world

Views : 2341

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:51   #11
niloc
SWV Benefactor

29, with a 960 2.5 saloon. Looking to purchase: cardigan, slippers, flat cap, and pipe.
(purely for comic value of course!!)
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:01   #12
Letyian

On my recent travels (1600 miles in the last month), I have seen lots and lots of Mum's driving Volvo's, crammed up, 2 inches away from the windscreen, transporting their brood along the middle lane of the motorway, no matter how many cars undertake them!

Then, there's the guys, bombing it down the m/way, keeping up with the Audi's, Beemers and Mercs with no trouble whatsoever.

I am very relieved that my hubby tells me I'm not a 'middle lane hogger'. I do wear a (trendy girls) cloth cap and purple leather gloves and fill my car with small people, and nothing gives me greater pleasure than whizzing past that really annoying BMW driver (there's one on every motorway in the world, at any given time - they can't help it, they own a BMW) and catching the look of shock on his face as my 16yr old tank flies past!

Carmen

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.
Letyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 22:46   #13
Madman

Volvo's image here in the States varies depending on whom you ask.

Back in the 1980's, Volvo had a sort of yuppie-car image. Yuppies without kids drove BMWs. Yuppies with kids drove Volvos. Before that, you had the beardy professor types wearing hideous corderoy jackets with patches on the elbows.

Volvos never really had an "old man's" image over here. We have Cadillacs, Lincolns and Buicks for that. Volvo owners these days tend to be portrayed as slightly posh, middle-aged, politically left-of-centre suburbanites who are professionally employed and overwhelmingly white. They don't quite have the kudos of a BMW, Mercedes or even a Lexus but are maybe just a half-step down from those.

What strikes me as odd is the number of people who confuse Volvo with Volkswagen. It must be the "V' that mixes them up. Back when I used to work at a Volvo dealer, this guy came in asking if we had the new Jetta. I told him "No, you have the wrong place. We're a Volvo dealer." He said "Oh, I thought Volvo made the Jetta. Who makes it, then?" We also had another guy ring us up looking for parts for his Beetle! Also, a lot of people seem to think Volvos are German. They are genuinely surprised when I inform them Volvos are Swedish!

Cheers,
Madman of the People
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 22:09   #14
Viking V40
Still hanging in there

I bought my first Volvo when I was 23 and have driven a Volvo as my daily ever since, so that's 12 years happy Volvo-ing. I did get quite a bit of stick initially, all the usual 'pipe and slippers' comments. Nobody seems to bother these days - I think Volvo have changed their image quite a bit. Advertising for the likes of the new C30 seems to be aimed at younger drivers. I really like BMWs but I can't afford one and I feel a bit more confident in a fwd car in snowy/icy conditions so my V40 is fine for me. imac mentioned the word 'discreet' - I think that's the word I would associate with Volvos as well. Dependable, discreet, gets the job done, no fuss.
Viking V40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 23:38   #15
Charlie007

Default Volvos image around the World

Old mans car! Ha!
Wolf in sheeps clothing.

Truly underestimated car.

Had various new cars before, delivery mileage only, (Polo, 2 Cavaliers, Sierra, Maestro (nobodys perfect) which was finished at 80,000 miles). Then got my first used Volvo and never looked back. 740, 2.3. Did 80,000 miles in 5 years over UK/France. Did Paris to Glasgow in 12 hours! Broke down once with faulty alternator then 3 times in 3 weeks with faulty starter. Got it fixed but my better half lost confidence this time so had to trade it in for a 940 2.3 Turbo - HooooYaaaa.

940 has done 50,000 miles in 4 years over UK/France. Broke down only once when I left everything running with the engine off, Oooops. Battery went flat so left it half an hour and it started as if there was no problem. Know any other car that could do that!?

Bought both cars with 50K on the clock and wasn't worried in the slightest. Considered a Merc both times but wifey thought they looked arrogant. Love the Volvo 'box' styling. Always said to my better half when the design is great you don't need to change it. How often did Rolls Royce change their basic styling?

It just has that 'X' factor. Plenty of power, plenty of room, stunning brakes. Anyway, 940 is getting ready for replacement so considering S80 T6, or maybe a Merc (shame on me).
Charlie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:13   #16
niloc
SWV Benefactor

I have noted a few different reactions.....

"Why a Volvo?"
"Undertaker?"
"I prefer Ford/Vauxhall/BMW" (delete as required)
"I don't like them"
Even the classic "i'll never have another Volvo again" (then after a few months knowing me won't have any another make!!)

It's only when they learn what equipment it has for the price I paid, that they take note of what it actually is. Either that, or when they ask for a lift or a tow...
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 13:37   #17
Frostbite
S60 S 2.0T Auto (Sep2003)

Wink

Work collegues had a jab at me when they heard I was getting a Volvo.

"That's a grandad's car"

Needless to say jaw's dropped, attitudes changed and I often whizz by on the motorway.

180bhp does me very nicely thanks.

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of Volvo's, I love my S60.

Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 17:07   #18
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I think to most people Volvo`s image has improved since the 850 touring cars racing. This made a big leap forward in there image.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 23:49   #19
The old Tank Master

Hi All,

I'm 37 and purposely purchased a cloth cap when I acquired my first Volvo. I enjoy living up to people's expectations for a few seconds, simply because I enjoy even more the look on their faces in my door mirrors when I engage 'sport mode' and give it a little bit of gas! Or the rear view mirror, once I have un-hitched the caravan, of course!

Subsequently the cloth cap (and the 'old tank', of course) has a 'legendary status' amongst my family and mates.

'George' from Asda do quite a nice checked pattern cap for a fiver. Highly recommended!
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 06:17   #20
John Tancredi
240inNZ

I go at the same speed whatever car I drive, but some "moderns" try to run away into uncharted speed territory, which is most unpleasant! I never have that problem with the Volvo... I never have it in my Land Rover Series One either! Both are also very good at stopping, but sometimes for different reasons! John

(85 Volvo 240, 72 Citroen DS, 68 Rover 2000, 55 LR Series One, 97 Ford Falcon)
John Tancredi is offline   Reply With Quote