Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Cost of front bumper replacement?

Views : 2592

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2022, 13:12   #11
PhilipT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
This only applies to the rear bumper (if BLIS is fitted) as the radar units are in the bumper area.

The front radar is top-centre of the windscreen.
Presumably the electronics are in the side areas, or is there anything in the middle? I've got a dent in the middle I could do with repainting.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 14:09   #12
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipT5 View Post
Presumably the electronics are in the side areas, or is there anything in the middle? I've got a dent in the middle I could do with repainting.
The radar units are in each corner. As far as I know, there's nothing in the middle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 14:55   #13
Lexman8
Premier Member

Location of radar on an XC90, one on each corner.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLIS sensors.jpg (34.4 KB, 11 views)
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 19:24   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
The rear bumper of our XC90 was repainted in the bodyshop of the Volvo dealer.
BLIS works as before.
That is naughty. Spec is that it shouldn't be painted. It might seem to work as before, but it is impossible to judge if it is just as sensitive in all circumstances. Main dealer should know better......
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 16:08   #15
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
That is naughty. Spec is that it shouldn't be painted. It might seem to work as before, but it is impossible to judge if it is just as sensitive in all circumstances. Main dealer should know better......
Philip and many other on this forum are far better educated in these areas than I, but this does intrigue me. If the radar gubbins is so sensitive to a slightly thicker coat of paint (maybe another 200 microns?), then are PP films, protective coatings, and indeed road grime not also going to have the same effect?
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 18:00   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Philip and many other on this forum are far better educated in these areas than I, but this does intrigue me. If the radar gubbins is so sensitive to a slightly thicker coat of paint (maybe another 200 microns?), then are PP films, protective coatings, and indeed road grime not also going to have the same effect?
In theory yes, they will have an effect. In practice, maybe not. The thing is, Volvo need to certify a product as being fit for purpose and working at 100% of its ability 100% of the time (or as near to 100% as is acceptable). If they identify something which might interfere with this then they need to mitigate it.

So with the BLIS they identify that filler/paint etc.. can reduce the efficacy of the sensor - so they say don't do anything and then for repairs they sell pre-painted bumpers to factory spec. This keeps the car within the factory designed operating window.

Similarly for dash cams, we have the advice about where not to place the cameras (and in fact at one point the advice not to use dashcams at all). This is again to mitigate the risk and keep the car at factory spec.

Now for bumper repairs, we all have heard of "a bit of paint and everything still seems OK" and for dashcams loads of people with SPA cars have them fitted (I have had a roadhawk behind the rear view mirror for 6 years with no noticeable ill effect). But to Volvo they cannot certify the product with these additions so they advise against it.

Also if you adopt a more lax approach, and let's say Volvo say that a dusting of paint is fine for the bumper, how do you police it? If a dusting of paint is OK, then what about a tiny bit of filler? Or a thick bit of paint? You end up getting what I call "mission creep" as people will always push the boundaries. So you get a rule - no paint and no dashcams.

So back to my original point. A Volvo main dealer, of all places, should be absolutely beyond reproach and should obey all the rules, all the time. So it was a bit naughty of them to do otherwise.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5; 2016 XC90 T8
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 21:07   #17
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
In theory yes, they will have an effect. In practice, maybe not. The thing is, Volvo need to certify a product as being fit for purpose and working at 100% of its ability 100% of the time (or as near to 100% as is acceptable). If they identify something which might interfere with this then they need to mitigate it.

So with the BLIS they identify that filler/paint etc.. can reduce the efficacy of the sensor - so they say don't do anything and then for repairs they sell pre-painted bumpers to factory spec. This keeps the car within the factory designed operating window.

Similarly for dash cams, we have the advice about where not to place the cameras (and in fact at one point the advice not to use dashcams at all). This is again to mitigate the risk and keep the car at factory spec.

Now for bumper repairs, we all have heard of "a bit of paint and everything still seems OK" and for dashcams loads of people with SPA cars have them fitted (I have had a roadhawk behind the rear view mirror for 6 years with no noticeable ill effect). But to Volvo they cannot certify the product with these additions so they advise against it.

Also if you adopt a more lax approach, and let's say Volvo say that a dusting of paint is fine for the bumper, how do you police it? If a dusting of paint is OK, then what about a tiny bit of filler? Or a thick bit of paint? You end up getting what I call "mission creep" as people will always push the boundaries. So you get a rule - no paint and no dashcams.

So back to my original point. A Volvo main dealer, of all places, should be absolutely beyond reproach and should obey all the rules, all the time. So it was a bit naughty of them to do otherwise.
Thanks Philip, all makes good sense, and see you point re. main dealer!

:wq