Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Blown Intercooler

Views : 2569

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2015, 21:51   #11
Dancake
Premier Member

I understand your thinking cheshired5. Any blockage can cause pressure issues. It wasn't that long ago that I cleaned out the EGR plenum pipe, and there wasn't that much carbon in it. The oily carbon build up could quite easily make its way down to the passenger side of the intercooler, but I am not sure than this is the cause. Most bowed D5 intercoolers seem to be pretty symmetrical. The bow in the centre seems to pull down on either side, separating the sides of the intercooler. Might do some intrusive investigation and disect the old intercooler when it comes out.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 09:15   #12
Brendan W
Premier Member

I suspected condensation in the i/c was either freezing or hydro-locking water hammering. Recently I changed out a rad on an E38 728 beemer. The core had failed in exactly the same way as the intercoolers. Lower elements bowed, all that was missing was the oil. Somehow I think they haven't got this plastic side tank thing quite right yet.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:14   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
I understand your thinking cheshired5. Any blockage can cause pressure issues. It wasn't that long ago that I cleaned out the EGR plenum pipe, and there wasn't that much carbon in it. The oily carbon build up could quite easily make its way down to the passenger side of the intercooler, but I am not sure than this is the cause. Most bowed D5 intercoolers seem to be pretty symmetrical. The bow in the centre seems to pull down on either side, separating the sides of the intercooler. Might do some intrusive investigation and disect the old intercooler when it comes out.
Thanks for that. Admittedly, I haven't seen loads of blown I/Cs.
It is ultimately an air radiator though so oil shouldn't be there but obviously is so to me that means that if it's not making its way down from the mixer plenum, it can still come from the turbo feed which has an element of exhaust gasses along with fresh air.
The fresh air is filtered so unless oil seals are going in the turbo, there aren't other ways for oil to enter the intercooler.
That's my logic anyway.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:23   #14
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

I was always told that these engines suck up oil deposit's from day 1 of their lives. It's just how they work apparently.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:34   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
I was always told that these engines suck up oil deposit's from day 1 of their lives. It's just how they work apparently.
True, they ain't clean no matter what but something happens more on some than others.
Mines still on the original intercooler when others have needed them at half my miles.
I can't take too much (or any) credit though as it was at 150k when I bought it.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:46   #16
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
True, they ain't clean no matter what but something happens more on some than others.
Mines still on the original intercooler when others have needed them at half my miles.
I can't take too much (or any) credit though as it was at 150k when I bought it.
Mine went at just over 100k, strange eh. When they really get bad, it does just look like an oil leak, only right at the very front of the car.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 10:56   #17
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Are you sure it hasn't had a replacement before you bought it ches? Its done well if it hasn't. I'm wondering if how long they last depends on how the car has been driven during its life. Maybe a car that's been driven hard by someone, things like the I/C (amongst other things) will have a shorter life span. I'm just guessing here before someone rips me to bits.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 11:03   #18
Dancake
Premier Member

The intercoolers seem to last longer on automatics than manuals before they fail. There will always be oil getting passed to the intercooler from the turbo. It's when it starts to pool at the base of the intercooler that you should start to worry. Even new cars do it.

I think the air filter box and the intercooler aren't big enough in the Euro 3 D5's. A bigger filter and intercooler would help tenfold. You can even see it on the air filter boxes where they swell at the edges.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 11:04   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
Are you sure it hasn't had a replacement before you bought it ches? Its done well if it hasn't.
Of course I can't be certain but going from the impressive folder of receipts which shows (what I think is) everything that's been done, it seems not.
The previous owner may have left it out but they seemed very thorough with the maintenance so I doubt it.
I've got bills with everything from clutch to belts to bulbs as well as routine servicing then I bought it and now there's nothing, except videos.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 11:09   #20
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

My car runs just fine at the minute, its the paint work that lets it down. I've got lacquer peeling off here and there, and it just doesn't look nice any more. 😦