Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stupid car

Views : 4060

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 23:20   #11
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
The car ALWAYS takes it fuel from the bottom of the tank.
WOW!! Does it !! so you have a fuel pump sticking out the bottom of yer tank ... Oooo PICS PLEASE!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 23:28   #12
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee '71 View Post
Why did you not simply go to another pump at the first garage????
There was none.

Although I wouldn't think it to be great, a couple of stutters could be acceptable. If it happend with a message in the display that said CRITICALLY LOW FUEL, one would think people got the message. But to continue to run crippled - why on earth? And what could possibly be the point of making he car ignore any fuel added?

It's a system made for daft, ignorant people that doesn't pay attention or know exactly what they are doing. You may say I'm stupid for running the car low, but surprisingly I've managed just fine for over 30 years without any car ever telling me anything other than that what comes from the fuel gauge and trip meter. Since I only got 45 litres into the tank, it mean the car was still good for more than 70 miles. Electronic gadgets I do not need prevented me from driving them, or even a couple of them.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 23:30   #13
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
WOW!! Does it !! so you have a fuel pump sticking out the bottom of yer tank ... Oooo PICS PLEASE!!!
You have two options; letting fuel pick-up drop with the fuel level or leave it at the bottom of the tank. The latter is the only system I have seen because the other options will stand a huge risk of sucking air. The placement of the fuel pump is irrelevant.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 23:39   #14
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

More Intelligent posts by me !!!!

schematic drawing from VADIS of the V50 Fuel tank & Pump arrangement ....

Please Note Location of Item 27 (FUEL PUMP) it is at the top of the tank ALSO note Fuel Sender unit (Item 27A) ALSO at the top of the tank ..

Pay particular attention to the SHAPE of Said Tank ... you will note that the "Transmission Tunnel" runs "Thru" the middle of it..... with the sender unit on one side & the Fuel pump on the other ......I would think this is a BAD DESIGN as you MAY get a situation where you COULD have MORE FUEL on the "Sender" side of the Tank than the "Pump" side ect ect ...

EDIT**** On closer examination it would appear that there is ALSO a Sender unit attached to the fuel pump .... VERY intriguing WHY TWO "SENDER UNITS" ??????????
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Oct 22nd, 2011 at 23:43.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 23:48   #15
faffi
Motorcyclist

As I mentioned, fuel pump placement is irrelevant. Fuel level sensor is virtually always fitted from the pump. Motorcycles traditionally used fuel tanks with a tunnel, only more pronounced, and usually fuel outlet on just one side, but some had them on both sides to allow every drop to be extracted.

In the Volvo tank displaye, you will either find fuel pickups at the lowest point* in both halves or there is some sort of internal connection between the two.

The car understood that fuel had been added, why else would it stop showing distance left to empty? It just couldn't figure out just how much and played it "safe" by saying it had no idea whatsoever, yet retained it's original mileage to empty as a cut-off point.

Splash while driving should quickly move fuel between the two halves even if there wasn't an internal system to ensure that the level always stayed even.

*Usually, not entirely lowest, but usually a small "bucket" that will hold fuel even when level is low to prevent air to be sucked when cornering with a small load. Also, the actual pickup will be sitting a little above the lowest point to prevent sucking up just the dirt you talked about earlier.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 02:18   #16
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

This has also become more noticable as the price of fuel has gone up.

Theres nothing worse than putting £10 fuel in when the needle is in the Red, turning the key only to find NO change on the fuel gauage.

First time my 2.0d did this I thought the diesel pump had screwed me over and was about to have argument with the petrol station staff!

With the price of fuel at the moment, £5 does not register AT ALL. Even if you leave it overnight. Crazy.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:11   #17
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
With the price of fuel at the moment, £5 does not register AT ALL. Even if you leave it overnight. Crazy.
Exactly my point!
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:42   #18
Lee '71

Is it just me or is this one of the most pointless threads on the forum??

Someone is daft enough to let their car get so low on fuel and then complains that the car doesn't drive normally!

What next? Someone complaing that they almost died of thirst because they didn't drink anything and then blaming the water company?????
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee '71 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:45   #19
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

I have been called pedantic and a boring old fart but personally,I always start looking to put more petrol in once my tank hits a 1/4 full.I am not well off,I have just got into the habit of never letting my tank run low.I have done this on every car and motorbike I have ever had and in doing have never had fuelling problems or have I been lucky?. I just refuse to believe any manufacturers petrol gauge to measure what's left in the tank.
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andy Northface For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:53   #20
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee '71 View Post
Is it just me or is this one of the most pointless threads on the forum??

Someone is daft enough to let their car get so low on fuel and then complains that the car doesn't drive normally!

What next? Someone complaing that they almost died of thirst because they didn't drink anything and then blaming the water company?????
Only it wasn't low on fuel, the car imagined it was low on fuel. There is a difference. A significant one.

Tags
boring thread