Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT help required please!

Views : 1345

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2022, 08:12   #11
Gilson

Didn't tell me, said the description was "lost connection with turbo. It was all a bit of a rush.

AA coming today.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadjong View Post
What engine code?
Gilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 08:14   #12
Gilson

The mechanic cleared the fault with the SnapOn machine. This turned off the engine light and message. Engine was still in limp mode and the Message appeared immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimfull View Post
Disconnecting the battery for 30 mins will clear any codes. But if there is a fault as soon as you drive off it will return.

This method has worked for me in the past all be it on older models so not sure how it may effect more modern vehicles.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 08:20   #13
Gilson

The mechanic did have it on the ramp ams sprayed the pipes to show any pipe leaks.

He didn't see any loose or split pipes. The noise did sound like a pipe popping off. No black smoke to speak of. I have to out it in sports mode for it to accelerate but as soon as it changes early into gear 2/3 it limps again.

All great information for the AA man.

Thank you all, much appreciate your advice and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Man View Post
Remember to open access to battery then switch off and remove key then leave for 10 - 15 minutes before disconnecting battery in order to allow all car modules to upload data to main unit or you may end up with bigger problem.
Check the air pipe from turbo to intercooler and also pipe from intercooler to inlet manifold, if joints were loose it may have popped off with a loud bang or it may have been damaged and failed and giving same result. This will give error codes and limp mode. Check to see if there lots of black smoke from exhaust under acceleration caused by over fuelling as a result of the lack of air getting to combustion chamber for amount of fuel supplied. Hope you get it sorted.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 08:24   #14
Gilson

My home is nearer Bishop's Stortford so not far at all. But I'm currently in Bournemouth trying to get back to Herts.

It could be worse, I'm at my mother's house. I don't fancy limping all the way home (140 miles) , especially with a family and no hard shoulders on those smart motorways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
Whereabouts in Herts are you? I'm in Hitchin. I had a recurring issue when I hit the same speed bump coming home once. A big range of messages appeared which scared the hell out of me. Long story short, an earth wire had come loose. Re secured, codes cleared, all done.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 20:41   #15
jadjong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilson View Post
Didn't tell me, said the description was "lost connection with turbo. It was all a bit of a rush.

AA coming today.

Thanks
Sorry, i meant 'engine code' as what engine is in the car?
jadjong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 09:17   #16
Gilson

Ah yes, sorry. It's a D5 215BHP.

Made it back the 140miles, the M27, M3 and M25 were negotiated well. Apart from when going up an incline it was quite easy to cajole it along. When going up a hill the car would slow to 40 and remain there. It's not a bad way to travel really, it's quite relaxing.

Booked in to Volvo for diagnostic tomorrow.

Quote:
Sorry, i meant 'engine code' as what engine is in the car?
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 18:27   #17
jadjong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilson View Post
Ah yes, sorry. It's a D5 215BHP.

Booked in to Volvo for diagnostic tomorrow.
Easiest way to check the turbo is from the left side. There is a short flexible steel tube (EGR) which can be disconnected. Then a light and camera on a stick does the rest.
jadjong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jadjong For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 15:39   #18
Gilson

Hi All,

To conclude this thread, the intercooler pipe had split, hence the bang and limp mode.

Engine - INTERCOOLER INPUT PIPE SPLIT 31370488 £238

Could have been worse, and now I'm a little wiser.

Thanks for your advice and concern.

Quote:
Easiest way to check the turbo is from the left side. There is a short flexible steel tube (EGR) which can be disconnected. Then a light and camera on a stick does the rest.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gilson For This Useful Post: