Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 engines?

Views : 3939

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2013, 12:27   #11
EdMan

I see. So all engines are great, but if you would have choice, that it would be an T5. After T5 2.4T and then 2.0T.

My budget is about £1500. Ive looked on autotrader and ebay, and looks like that i can get pretty decent C70. I would buy this one, witch is 10 miles from me.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-C70-...item27d9766b7c

But i really dislike automatic gearboxes...
EdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 13:29   #12
krussel
Premier Member

That 02 looks quite tidy in the pictures and a low mileage to boot. Its a lot of car for the money.

Personally I would hang on for the 13 speaker Dolby surround system as it is simply awesome.

A lot of the conv were auto's. In fact I don't think I have seen a 2.4 LPT manual. Plenty of 2.0 T' s though.
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 13:34   #13
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidicDavey View Post
Keep an eye out for a T5 Manual, which is indeed a 2319cc lol

Mind, DVLA don't seem to know as my logbook says 2435cc but T5 in the model description!

It's definitely a T5...

Don't be scared of the 'big powerful engine being a gas guzzler', it's really not. I average just under 30mpg according to the computer.

Also, it may be worth knowing that there is also a N/A in the range, a 2435cc 20v which before 99 was called a 2.5 and after a 2.4. Confusing? You bet!
Have to disagree about them not being a bit of a guzzler !! maybe depends on what car you've come from I suppose.
I find around 22-23 mpg about town no matter how gentle I am and up to high 20's maybe 30 on the motorway although mine is a V70
But great performance though.
Although the 2.3 T5 manual version is normally the pick of the bunch to have if you can get your hands on one.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 13:41   #14
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byootox View Post
Have to disagree about them not being a bit of a guzzler !! maybe depends on what car you've come from I suppose.
I find around 22-23 mpg about town no matter how gentle I am and up to high 20's maybe 30 on the motorway although mine is a V70
But great performance though.
Although the 2.3 T5 manual version is normally the pick of the bunch to have if you can get your hands on one.
Maybe the low pressure turbo is better in the C70 ? I get 26 mpg on short trips around town, 30 mpg on A roads, and just achieved 43 mpg on a steady110 mile trip down the motorway. That's with a 5 speed auto.

I do drive it easy though.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 16:53   #15
byootox
Premier Member

Good point Krussel it could well be the low pressure turbo version is more frugal.
I had Saab 9000 before my Volvo and the figures you give are similar to what I got with that so seems reasonable.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to byootox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 19:33   #16
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

The LPT V70 auto of mine used to get about 23mpg average but my C70 T5 Manual averages 29-30mpg so in my experience it's great.

But no, on a who they aren't economy cars, it's just that the T5 is no worse than the rest of the range!
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 22:32   #17
EdMan

Ok, two more questions guys.

Witch engines get that 'awesome' sound system? T5?

And is T5 HPT and all others engines are LPT?

Sorry for all the stupid questions btw...
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 00:26   #18
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

The good sound system was an option on all models. 3cd changer in the dash with 11 speakers in a coupe or 13 in a convertible (2 subs behind the rear seats). My car has this system and it is marvelous. It's easy to tell if a car has the system or not as there will be a big speaker on the top of the dash in the centre.

And yes, the only model with the High Pressure Turbo is the T5, the rest are Low pressure and then there's one without a turbo too, a 2435cc 20valve only available for a while. In my experience, the T5 has been more economical than the 2.4lpt but then that is an auto so not really a fair comparison perhaps.
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 07:03   #19
krussel
Premier Member

As above really.

The full 13 Dolby speaker package was a expensive option on most Conv,s. Towards the end of production with the GT spec they fitted it as standard.

Look for the centre pro logic speaker on the top of the dash which is the give away in the advert pics. Specs vary on year but the 13 speaker system in the conv also has a switch in the rear centre console near the 12 volt socket. This kills the the twin 10 " subs which are built into the rear seat. If the switch is not there then the cars has no subs.

The head unit I think was made by Alpine and the one your looking for is the 901 model. The lesser units look almost the same but have sliding controls for the Bass, Treble and balance. The 901 has push in pop out round controls.

Getting the complete Pro Logic system is a real bonus and although it looks a bit dated now compared to modern double din head units it can still out perform most modern systems sound wise.

The only downside is that the built in 3 disc cd changer will not read mp3 disc but you can add a digital player such as a Yatour which plugs in the back and lives in the glovebox.

Last edited by krussel; Oct 20th, 2013 at 07:43.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 16:15   #20
EdMan

Thank you everyone. You all have been really helpful. Thank you for not ignoring me because im new.

I still haven't decided whether to get coupé or convertible version... I been reading up some mixed reviews, especially on conv versions... Now im just confused. Oh well...

Cheers

Tags
c70, engines