Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rebuild or engine replacement?

Views : 4585

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2011, 14:35   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

If you mean the bolt near the waterpump end on the drivers side of the block that is normal as the oil supply to the head goes up that bolt hole ... didnt you do a compression test before dismantling? could have saved a lot of work ..
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 14:44   #12
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If you mean the bolt near the waterpump end on the drivers side of the block that is normal as the oil supply to the head goes up that bolt hole ... didnt you do a compression test before dismantling? could have saved a lot of work ..
No I didn't check that, with special tools. I relied on advice from my technician and information in youtube, everything indicated, worn piston rings, but there isn't any movement of pistons...

No its, when you are at the front of the car to your left is timing belt, to your right is flywheel. You can see that bolt just in the right corner, near injector.. I made a few pictures but I will post them after dark, had a lot off things to done/clean in daylight.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 21:20   #13
Biotoxic
Master Member

Pictures...

http://www.bildites.lv/images/iaicq3bhx347adgkx3x6.jpg
http://www.bildites.lv/images/c1xsf65r6ehlq3aspr0q.jpg

Bad injector or just blocked nozzles ...
http://www.bildites.lv/images/mc8o8cuf54ebvcztxs3y.jpg

Is that oil in right hand side normal in first two images?
and how much piston should be moving inside its housing?

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Jan 20th, 2011 at 00:36. Reason: Removed large images for links On request from OP
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 23:33   #14
Biotoxic
Master Member

Default Update

Sorry about those huge pictures, there is a smaller version.

As you can see in a picture above, injector head has completely blocked by soot... but now its all cleaned and tested, injector itself works fine.

Update

I have removed a lot of things now, cylinder head, turbo, battery, basically only engine itself and gearbox is somewhat in place, removed some engine mounts under the car, and that metal bar that holds both front wheels in place, I had to remove those to unscrew 5 bolts so I can access and remove sump tank, and after that I can remove pistons, hopefully I will do that on Thursday.
Since I removed that one of the engine mountings and that stabiliser(I think) and some parts of them were rusty, so I took drill and wire brush, cleaning them right trough from rust to bare metal... I have to do the same thing on a car as well, then I will paint those parts. It should last for some years free of rust, but will see how it goes...

Last edited by Biotoxic; Jan 19th, 2011 at 23:49. Reason: additional information
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 17:24   #15
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool

Ok so its sorted, I will get a quote for re-bore and oversized pistons on Monday...
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 10:53   #16
Biotoxic
Master Member

Dilemma.....
rebore engine, 75 for rebore + pistons 470 + vat
or
V40/S40 1.9 Td Engine 61,000 miles £350

..... suggestions?

If engine replacement, maybe there is another alternative to that Renault diesel engine... if so, I would prefer something else no bigger than 2.0 litres, and less hassle as possible?
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 15:27   #17
Biotoxic
Master Member

I am sending my engine for a rebore and to get oversized pistons.

Just removed engine... damn it was a bit heavy, but finally I did it...

I still cant get off(unscrew) the bottom pulley...
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 23:50   #18
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotoxic View Post
I still cant get off(unscrew) the bottom pulley...
It would have been easier to remove the stud/bolt with the engine in situ as you can use an extra long extension/breaker bar to crack the bolt. Some garages use a pneumatic gun.

See here for where to insert the locking pin:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crankshaft locking pin.jpg (75.6 KB, 13 views)

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 03:06   #19
Biotoxic
Master Member

yep, I tried that one, didn't help. I am taking engine for a rebore tomorrow, I will ask them to remove that bolt with pneumatic gun...

Today I improvised on big scale... when car will be ready I will post pictures, Nobody haven't seen that before... 100% guarantee

My mother ROFL`ed(Rolling on The Floor Laughing) when I told her, It looked like close to this
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Tags
engine, rebuild, swap