Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why do people buy new cars??

Views : 6149

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 13:33   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
True you might have nothing at the end but you would have had less than nothing if you were buyng most of the time.
It might have cost you £5976 but how much would you have lost on depreciation?
£I49x24 is actually £3576 but you're right, the principle is that a £9k Clio would lose way more than that in depreciation within 2 years from new.
My current S60 cost me £1600 18 months ago and has cost me the princely sum of £200 for maintenance in all that time and of course no monthly repayments, so I'm in pocket to the tune of thousands per year compared to buying new. It's very likely still worth £1600 too should I need to sell, so I've effectively had a free car.........so far
The best part is that my mobility is not dependant on anyone else but me as I own the car 100% and I really like that security.
Of course, not everyone would like to drive an old car as I do now but luckily my 6 years of someone else paying for me to have a brand new car of choice every 6-8 weeks, have well and truly scratched the expensive itch of having the latest thing.
It's a luxury in which I see no value but I completely understand why some people want to keep spending on new.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 13:54   #12
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
£I49x24 is actually £3576 but you're right, the principle is that a £9k Clio would lose way more than that in depreciation within 2 years from new.
Where did I get that £5976 figure from although it is highly likely you would still have lost that amount.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 14:15   #13
Westyman
VOC Member

Because I wanted to! There was a particular spec I wanted and was most unlikely to find it in a used car. And anyway the "50% lost in 3 years" is presumably based on list price of new not what you actually pay.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 15:16   #14
joe1961
VOC Member

I had second hand cars for about 10 years and always wanted a new one.
Not just one that had been sitting at the docks for 6+ months.
I wanted one fresh out of the box and I have had a new car ordered from the factory every 2 years or so.
With a second hand car you are taking a chance - you never know what kind of moron has been driving it even with a demo.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 15:45   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1961 View Post
With a second hand car you are taking a chance - you never know what kind of moron has been driving it even with a demo.
I take it you've never seen cars been loaded/moved around docks, ferries and factories.
I'd wager that pretty much every car has been subjected to a moron at some point.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 15:53   #16
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Ha !
Yes, this is sometimes an emotional subject.
Our last 3 cars (2 Saab's & an SMax) were ex-demo deals, and we were happy with them....but I agree there is something nice about having the precise spec you want, especially if you can get a decent deal (& things like carwow & drivethedeal certainly show what discounts can be done!).
Ask MrsW who lost heated seats on her replacement SMax (well, the deal was too good ;-)

Hence I am looking likely to go for a XC60 D4 to my specifications sometime this year (assuming Volvo get the engines built fast enough....!).\
Things like 0% over 2 years on 50% of the cost plus low cost deals on service packs certainly go a way to persuading as well.....

cheers
MikeIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 16:16   #17
AngloScot
Master Member

I too am buying a new car because I want to. I reckon I could quite easily keep my current car (Golf - bought new) for another 10 years. But I am getting older and I fancy a suv/crossover. It's a nice feeling having a car built to your own spec. Roll on the end of April.
AngloScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngloScot For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 17:02   #18
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Luckily for everyone there are people around (like me) who like to buy new cars. If we weren't around the buy the new cars then there would be no second hand cars for people to buy!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 17:34   #19
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Luckily for everyone there are people around (like me) who like to buy new cars. If we weren't around the buy the new cars then there would be no second hand cars for people to buy!!!
And long may it continue!
I just love those high spec, well maintained, heavily depreciated hand me downs.
My kind of charity
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 17:46   #20
volvo145
Premier Member

[QUOTE=cheshired5;1583247]I take it you've never seen cars been loaded/moved around docks, ferries and factories.
I'd wager that pretty much every car has been subjected to a moron at some point.[/QUOTE

And some are damaged and repaired without the prospective customers knowledge.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote