Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine oils

Views : 1271

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2020, 20:55   #11
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A better interval would be every 6 months David, knowing how you use your car - also switching to BP Ultimate will probably improve the running too.

I've been using Tradetec 10W40 semi-synth in the Rover, very good oil. Tried some stuff from ebay (Mannol) but the Volvo didn't like it, burned most of it for some reason!

Good shout on changing the Helix every 3 months Mark. The additives in it that make it better when new than some others seem to deteriorate rapidly after about 3k miles so almost everybody i know that uses it change it every 3 months/3k miles.
Hi Dave, why do you now say BP Ultimate, it was you some while ago who recommended Shell V-Power to me ??
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 21:02   #12
827Roverman
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Looked on the Liqui Moly website and they list a lot of products. What do you put in your B230FK ?

Cheers Mark
Liqui Moly Petrol Injection Cleaner
David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 21:04   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Hi Dave, why do you now say BP Ultimate, it was you some while ago who recommended Shell V-Power to me ??
That was before they changed the formula in it and it turned into just another petrol again. I'm fairly sure i would have suggested trying both back then, now id say go for BP Ultimate.

The Nectar points are gone from it sadly as Sainsburys (who appear to own/control Nectar Points) now seem to have a barrelage agreement with Esso as that's where the Nectar points have gone.

Both my beasts were suffering seriously poor economy on Sainsburys fuel after the Nectar points moved, i thought nothing of it at the time. Later i remembered on the odd ocasion before Nectar went onto Esso, i'd used a local Esso station and been asked if i had a Tesco Clubcard. That confirmed my suspicions that Tesco were supplied by Esso and none of my cars ever have liked Tesco fuel and by extension, Esso fuel.

That's why i switched back to BP Ultimate only, the ROver jumped back up after the first tankful or so to where it should be, the Volvo is still lagging but i have a few things to check as to why. It' still about 15-20% better on BP than it was though so any saving i might have made by buying the petrol at Sainsburys is cancelled out by heavier fuel consumption.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 00:53   #14
deeman940
Master Member

i use Valvoline 10/40 upon reading lots of threads.....my mileage is 170k though, figured it would be better although most of the seals have been replaced.....if it ain't broke don't fix it!! i am costantly topping up the oil due to worn turbo seals.....
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 00:58   #15
aardvarkash10
Master Member

No idea. Whatever is the correct rating, semi-synth and close to $30SPP for 5 litres at the local motor factors. Changed every 6 months along with the filter, fire alarm batteries in the house and putting the clocks back or forward or whatever.

Brake fluid and radiator fluid every two years. Same purchase spec as the oil.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2020, 01:19   #16
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
i use Valvoline 10/40 upon reading lots of threads.....my mileage is 170k though, figured it would be better although most of the seals have been replaced.....if it ain't broke don't fix it!! i am costantly topping up the oil due to worn turbo seals.....
i forgot to say it was semi-synthetic......
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2020, 09:32   #17
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I also use shell helix 7 10w40 and change every 6 months or 6k miles whichever comes first which used to be mileage first! But now given my current circumstances it will be back to 6 months and I always use a genuine Volvo oil filter.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2020, 21:07   #18
StanC
'Mature' Member

I've used only Mobil 1 0W-40 fully synthetic oil in my 1996 960 3Litre 24v since new, with oil/filter changes every 5000 miles on the dot. That was when I was working - now I'm retired the car only does a 50 mile run every fortnight or so, which only amounts to about 1250 miles a year. Crucially, the car has never been used for short runs, even now in retirement, so I'm now just doing oil and filter changes annually. Throughout the life of the car I have also used only BP Ultimate fuel. I've never used any additives. At 23 years and 178000 miles it's still running like new.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2020, 21:17   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanC View Post
I've used only Mobil 1 0W-40 fully synthetic oil in my 1996 960 3Litre 24v since new, with oil/filter changes every 5000 miles on the dot. That was when I was working - now I'm retired the car only does a 50 mile run every fortnight or so, which only amounts to about 1250 miles a year. Crucially, the car has never been used for short runs, even now in retirement, so I'm now just doing oil and filter changes annually. Throughout the life of the car I have also used only BP Ultimate fuel. I've never used any additives. At 23 years and 178000 miles it's still running like new.

Stan.
That's a very good argument for using fully synth oil, it was used from new so little chance of building up residues on shafts etc. Also the regular oil/fiter changes helped a lot.

Fuel choice is also a winner here, plus sticking to the same brand/octane rating has helped.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: