Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driveshaft nuts advice?

Views : 4490

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 20:53   #11
grainqey
Master Member

+1 to clans answer,i'v used the xc90 bolts and not had an issue since - they have the rubber cones to stop them rattling out or something like that lol
grainqey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 20:57   #12
Bill_56
Premier Member

My dealer used loctite on mine, after complete dismantling and cleaning of the interfaces. That was earlier this year, after seeking technical guidance from Volvo as multiple attempts to replace them failed.

The rubber-cupped XC90 bolts were vetoed by Volvo at that time, and I was told that in any case they are 'no longer used'.

The bolts have stayed tight and silent ever since (fingers crossed!) for about 6k miles so far which, sadly, is a record.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:55   #13
oliverlucas

They used XC90 bolts and the noise is still there. Took it back to them this morning and they said they tightened them to the correct torque. They havent used loctite.

They seem to think the engine mount is not sitting right. They also think the noise is coming from a bush above the passenger side wheel. They say it may have come loose or will need replacing.

They want to charge me £58 just to diagnose?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank
oliverlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 17:31   #14
Andy
Master Member

Check the bushes on the lower tie bar.

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=5772

Don't get this scamcrap part though- either go genuine or get it poly bushed.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 18:35   #15
oliverlucas

Okay, yeah will do.

Does tightening the driveshaft nut do anything to the steering? ie making it more firm and harder?

Its just i have tightened them up a little more with a ratchet and they move slightly. Since i did this i applied some loctite to the bolts.

Since doing this the steering has been firm.

I just done want to change gears quickly at the thought of it returning so im letting the glue set over night. However it does seem firmer.

Would that be the case or is this just in my head? lol
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 18:55   #16
grainqey
Master Member

over-torquing the bolts effectivly eliminates the point of them, they are stretch bolts so upto a certain torque they stretch and contract, after that they keep stretching until they fail if you keep tightening them back up.

just use XC90 bolts and have done with it, they come with loctite on so i dont see how volvo 'tards.. sorry i mean technicians... can fit them incorrectly
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 18:59   #17
oliverlucas

Would it cause harder steering if they were over tightened?
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 19:02   #18
oliverlucas

Maybe Volvo didnt tighten it enough and i might have got it at the right level? They seemed to insist they used a tech sheet with the updated information.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 19:06   #19
grainqey
Master Member

wouldnt effect steering, its something stupid like 20/40nm then 3 90 degrees
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 19:29   #20
oliverlucas

It just had a brand new engine mount fitted last week. Though Volvo didnt give a definate with what was wrong with it. Was £58 for the pleasure.

Could the clutch make this noise? it doesnt make it when changing from 4th into 5th so i thought of left that out as it would make it all the time.

It does seem to be getting worse and more often. Like even just pulling away causes a small clunk that can be felt through the pedals?