Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Cooler for modified T5 auto?

Views : 3095

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 14:39   #11
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttacornwall View Post
I am in the process of modifiying my phase 1 855 T5, I will have the ECU remapped (aprox 270 bhp), a 3 inch down pipe with race cat and 2.5inch cat back system. Will I need an oil cooler for the auto box?

I have tried a forum search but found nothing on modified cars just towing advice, would be greatfull for any advice.
Have been following this post and decided to to reply as i feel you are being fed a load of tosh.

Lets start with how the stock atf cooler on an 850 t5 works. As we know the atf cooler is built into the rad. The rad also has another identical built in cooler that is used to cool the engine oil. Water leaving the engine flows in the drivers side end tank of the rad and flows horizonatally accross the rad to the other end tank where it then returns to the rest of the system.

The engine oil and atf coolers are mounted in the end tanks of the rad which means they are submerged by coolant.

so thats the basics.

So from the above you can see that the atf cooler is sitting submerged in hot coolant that has come from the engine and been cooled by the rad. This coolant has not only been heated by the block and turbo but also by the oil cooler (i wont go into the fact that the oil is only taking away heat that the coolant would have done through the block).

so as you can see the atf cooler isnt that big considering it fits into an end tank, and cools the atf using hot\warm coolant. so in my view this setup is mainly to stop the tranny seeing extreme temps but overall dosent do much much to cool the fluid at lower temps.

I believe that the tranny ecu will set an overtemp code at around 120-130c which is worrying seeing as Normal atf is rated to operate at around 70-80c for max life and volvo say the atf never needs changing*.

as shown by the pictures above, just a few hundred miles of towing have started to overheat the tranny fluid (note he says he isnt running a cooler at the moment). Atf turns brown through heat alone and a tiny bit from clutch material etc.

so basically if your fluid is turning brown its getting hot, however at 100,000 odd miles you would expect this, even more so as the volvo's dont have atf filters.

so in response to your question, i would fit an additional atf cooler.

end of part 1, will continue with some details of a good setup and how to fit the new cooler.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 14:48   #12
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Thanks for that post.. All info is good..

A point though. Given there is no ATF filter, should and can one be fitted?
The engine has a filter (and has regular oil changes in the schedule) so would think it prudent for the same for the gearbox..?

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 00:48   #13
mharriso
Master Member

Nice one bobcat, good info specific to the 850R... my comments were general and in part referenced tot he S40 spec.. as mentioned...

Remember also the trans oil has a lower working temp too, so the shared cooling system is to try and regulate in a range not just achieve the lowest possible temp...particlulary in very low temp coutries...

Ref the filter, any oil line can have an inline filter fitted... usually just a case of getting the appropriate filter and pipe fittings made up... point to remember .. best fitted follwing a complete trans fluid flush,as if you just fitted one and did a partial drain and refill you would still have 80% of the original oil & debris, this would then get filtered and couls reduce the flow rate throgh the filter... reqwuiring a clean / change practicllay straight away......

Hope this helps
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 23:04   #14
st5ve
S60 R

When are you going to post about part 2 bobcat?

My car could be ready very soon, providing the brake line kit supplied gets sorted out, wrong connecting end to calliper.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 23:42   #15
bobcat
Premier Member

I'll try and get round to it tomorrow. But here's a teaser!!!!! :

Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:21   #16
mharriso
Master Member

Great pic Bobcat

Here's a thought, what impact doe the positioning of the oil cooler ahead of the coolant matrix have on the cooling of the engine coolant i.e. through shroding / heat transfer from the oil cooler to the engine coolant matrix???
Are we trading cooler trans oil for hotter engine coolant and vice versa????
(appreciate this is a minor point.. but an interesting one...)

i am guessing there is a nett max flow (and hence volume of air) available to the front of the car... and therefore a max thermal transfer from coolant / oil to air.... (given tthe thermal conductivity of air is constant at a constant ambient temp), then this hot air is passed onto the engine front.. in this case the inlet manifoild...et etc

If this thinking is not competly flawed then maybe we should all be looking for ways to take heat away from the eninge and engine bay rather than more air to the engine... (appreciate more availability of surface for heat transfer may optimise the available cooling capability of the air at a given temp....)

Jeez i have just realised i have gone right off topic here.. sorry guys.. interesting though.. do we vent to remove already hot air or add surface area for geater heat transfer at high pressure points... as well as insulating heat source area's to prevent heat soak... (of course both is better..)

Bobcat i am looking forward to your opinion on this one , enjoy your direct honesty....
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 16:24   #17
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
I am in the process of modifiying my phase 1 855 T5, I will have the ECU remapped (aprox 270 bhp), a 3 inch down pipe with race cat and 2.5inch cat back system. Will I need an oil cooler for the auto box?

I have tried a forum search but found nothing on modified cars just towing advice, would be greatfull for any advice.
Its best to if your going to rag the box which I guess you will having had the mods done. I fitted the Volvo kit which along with the pipe work was around £150. Speak to a few dealers if you fancy one. It fits nicely right across the bottom and being narrow restricts the other rads less. It also weighs a lot less than the after market types.

Cheers

Last edited by Engineer; Apr 3rd, 2010 at 23:43.
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 17:02   #18
st5ve
S60 R

By any chance was that £150 fitted or just parts?

I looked at a few threads on this site and someone (I forget who) gave part no 9492870 = £185.07 and 9499407 = £28.24 this was for the oil cooler and pipe kit. Any chance these could be the wrong part numbers (more worrying though the wrong prices).

Do you by chance have the correct part no?
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 17:04   #19
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I think you will find that is parts only..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 17:28   #20
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Quote:
By any chance was that £150 fitted or just parts?

I looked at a few threads on this site and someone (I forget who) gave part no 9492870 = £185.07 and 9499407 = £28.24 this was for the oil cooler and pipe kit. Any chance these could be the wrong part numbers (more worrying though the wrong prices).

Do you by chance have the correct part no?
Sorry no, but the kit did include all you needed to fit to my S70R, but as CTC said, not labour.

Cheers