Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best Tyres?

Views : 2208

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 11:34   #11
volvo always
Premier Member

When I got my 940 it had 3 different makes of tyres!

The non matching ones I replaced with a used Michelin Energy saver with 7.6mm of tread for £25 and another at 6.4mm of tread for £20 off Ebay. Different sellers and both the spare tyre. This was 6 years ago.

Both still in use with around 4-5mm of tread. The following year bought a new pair of Michelin energy for the front.
These are my Summer tyres. Only do around 2k a year.

Winter Goodyear Ultragrip 9's. Still on!

On my Toyota Auris replaced the 6 year old Continental 6's as front sidewall perished and around 3mm plus one worn on edge. Done around 28k Went for Goodyear efficientgrip performance 2's. A good tyre.

Like Michelin and Goodyear. James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 11:35   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
I disagree while agreeing ...

I think there is a best tyre, but I also think it's impossible to find what it is unless you're dripping with cash & time, and can buy 10 sets of tyres & take YOUR car to a proving-ground & compare them all. Then keep the ones that do best.
By the time you need a new set you can't buy the same, of course, as a bunch of models available previously have changed rubber or factory, and a bunch of new models have been released.
Depends on use as well. On my XC's they do frequently go off road into muddy fields and we live in the countryside, so I buy winter tyres with an all terrain tread bias, knowing that for 8 months of the year I am 2-3 MPG down but there will be a dozen times a year I can do things easily that I could not do with normal summer tyres on.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 11:39   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I'm a find of Cooper tyres and Avon is part of the same company.

Ford Ranger is running Cooper WeatherMaster WSC
XC60 on Cooper Discoverer Winter
Renault Master Horsebox on Avon WM-Van (which has exactly the same tread pattern as the old Cooper Discoverer MS2).

All perform very well, all around 2/3 the cost of say Michelin Cross Climate or Goodyear Vector.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 11:53   #14
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Tyres are like ars*holes.

Everyone's got 4 of them. Oh wait, that's not working...

Anyhow, the best tyre brand is definitely.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 12:04   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
I disagree while agreeing ...

I think there is a best tyre, but I also think it's impossible to find what it is unless you're dripping with cash & time, ...
Also agreeing while disagreeing
I use the interweb to check tyre tests for the size I'm looking for. I underline tests because reviews (and forum threads like this) usually lack much rigour and accuracy, someone who has just bought a pair of ditchfinders will quite happily leave 5 stars on the day because their new tyres are round and black and have a legal amount of tread, and the nice tyre fitters gave them a free coffee. Also underline size as some tyres seem to be better or worse in some sizes, so what works well on a small wheel with a big side wall isn't good for a big wheel with low profiles, and vice-versa. When it gets to tyre buying time it may take a few evenings research but what else would I be doing? posting on a forum.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 12:07   #16
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post

They're round and black ... No that's not working either

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 13:00   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post

Everyone's got 4 of them. Oh wait, that's not working...

Anyhow, the best tyre brand is definitely.
....and you have fewer skids with the better ones.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 13:39   #18
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I use the interweb to check tyre tests for the size I'm looking for. I underline tests because reviews (and forum threads like this) usually lack much rigour and accuracy, someone who has just bought a pair of ditchfinders will quite happily leave 5 stars on the day because their new tyres are round and black and have a legal amount of tread, and the nice tyre fitters gave them a free coffee. Also underline size as some tyres seem to be better or worse in some sizes, so what works well on a small wheel with a big side wall isn't good for a big wheel with low profiles, and vice-versa. When it gets to tyre buying time it may take a few evenings research but what else would I be doing? posting on a forum.
100% with you there, Dave! Tyres and engine oil...do your own research! Sales teams are only interested in units and volume and reviews are not to be relied upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHV50 View Post
Hi all,got a 2018 v90 currently on michelin primacy 4 at rear and avon at front running on 17s,all got about 3m left so might have to break the bank and replace all four, only do about 6k a year and not much motorway mileage,
best tyres in your opinion
The V90 is what...1800+ kgs...so you want relatively decent tyre on all four corners. Search the various tyre websites, enter your tyre size and speed rating, aim for good fuel economy, grip and noise rating and, obviously, something to suit your pocket. Pay close attention to the "sport" and "all season" tyres and watch their fuel economy/resistance rating plummet. Ideally you want something in the A to C bracket with 68 to 70 dB.

If it were mine I'd be going with those Michelin Primacy 4 again, they're probably original factory fitment, or their equivalent.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 22:17   #19
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I use the interweb to check tyre tests for the size I'm looking for.
I struggle to find any in the right size & fitted to the same sort of car (minor size differences and vehicle weight will change the results), and tyres vary between markets so I can't use a test performed in the UK or US. Buying tyres for me feels like rolling the dice.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2023, 08:19   #20
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Have you looked at Tyrereviews, rather than Blackcircles, Auto Express etc etc? There are loads of UK reviews.

I found several reviews of the same and very,very similar size tyres on similar types of cars. Eg. My Volvo V60 AWD estate vs similar weight Audi A4 Allroad estates.

Then you have the 'energy label' on line for every tyre manufactured, which gives you the headline performance of grip, noise and fuel economy ??

What's your tyre size and model of car - are they unusual?

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Apr 24th, 2023 at 08:37.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote