Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you drive a T5

Views : 7519

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:17   #11
jules t5

of course i am, i enjoy fast driving thats why i bought a t5, dont get all "holier than thou" on me and pretend given safe conditions you never give your car some welly???
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:28   #12
Paul_Martin

Default RE: How do you drive a T5

How do you drive a T5 ?

With a big smile on your face

I used to own a V40 T4 until one day coming down the slip road of the M20 nr Maidstone I was passed by a blue V70 T5 who literally flew passed me even though I had floored the T4.

A few months later we needed a bigger car and I now own a V70 T5 Automatic. After picking it up and driving home I managed 120mph without even trying, I really didn't know I was going that fast and slowed to a steady 90, the ride was just so good even at 120+
(BTW I don't condone what I did and have never been anywhere nr that speed again)

I tend to floor mine every now and again safe in the knowledge that the car seems to be well built and can stand most abuses I throw at it, if I break it then it's off to see Stuart at SW Auto's.

How do you drive a T5 ? Any way you like, fast or slow, it'll take it.

Paul_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:37   #13
tonyt5

how do you drive a t5? if one needs to ask that question perhaps a nice rover 75 would be more suited to sir!
Old May 11th, 2005, 14:27   #14
imac
Premier Member

> of course i am, i enjoy fast driving thats why i bought a
>t5, dont get all "holier than thou" on me and pretend given
>safe conditions you never give your car some welly???

^^^

I like this guy!

Old May 11th, 2005, 14:30   #15
imac
Premier Member

>how do you drive a t5? if one needs to ask that question
>perhaps a nice rover 75 would be more suited to sir!

Nah. People often see me as the stereotypical young driver (not yet reached my 21st!), but I drive my T5 like an old grandmother going to church. Most of the time.

The nice thing about the T5 is you can drive it slowly but with full knowledge that there are enough ponies under the bonnet to shift you if you really need to move.

Old May 11th, 2005, 15:05   #16
5lab

i would change gear right on the redline if i were you

the quickest way to drive a given car is to change gear right where the POWER curve in this gear becomes lower than the POWER would be in the next gear.. you do not need to pay any attention to the torque graph because you get less torque in the next gear (which the power curve takes care of, hence the whole point in it).

in most modern cars the peak power is pretty high up the rev range. you can actually go past the redline without doign much damage to most engines, but quite a lot of the time you will not benefit from much performance, and if you do it a lot you will probably wear the engine a bit much.. the rev limiter on a modern (injected) engine should kick in before you can blow an engine up in one go however.

changing gear high up also makes a nicer noise and makes you feel good. nowt like dropping from 5th to 2nd and going 40-60 in that to overtake someone :)

Old May 11th, 2005, 16:01   #17
imac
Premier Member

>i would change gear right on the redline if i were you

^^^

Behave yourself laddie, too much of that and the OP will be given an ASBO or a caution if in a town centre at 2am :)

Old May 11th, 2005, 16:04   #18
imac
Premier Member

>After 40 years enforced economical driving and 7 volvos I
>have bought a 2001 V70 T5 Manual to enjoy it's performance and
>I need retraining! What rev. ranges should be used to obtain
>the best compromise between optimum performance and an
>engineer's abhorrence of engine abuse? Cheers.

Drive it how you want to drive it, not how other people do.

One of the many great things about the T5 (and indeed many other powerful cars) is you can waft around all day changing gear at 2,000rpm or if you need/want to, you can change gear at 5,500rpm and enjoy the kick of the turbo.

Old May 11th, 2005, 16:48   #19
johnt850r

Hey all this talk of Kent.
Mind you I get flashed by other R's more since we moved up here!
Crooked Billet on Sunday? what time is that (yes Ian off to relevant section)
Seriously I am with the gang here, you've bought a quick car same as I did. Mine is a multi-tasker fun for me and carries our three dogs.
Try as I may I can't get our Wolfhound in to a 911!
The T5 and R share an ability to move like extrecrement off a digging implement whilst still retaining a degree of docility (if thats a word) around town.
Take it down the A20 from Maidstome to Ashford and enjoy.
If you need an idenpendent garage to look after it Then I will pass on recommendation which Chris Rogers and several others passed to me
SW Autos 1 Garages in Ashford;. Heartsay Garage/Headcorn Rd , Biddenden , TN27
8JY. Tel: 01580 291588

Take care have fun, if you see a dirty red R estate wif a dog hanging out of the back give us a wave!!!

BR
John
johnt850r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 17:44   #20
BobbyDazzler

I often wondered why one car review site here on the web stated that some volvo's were "....sometimes driven by very aggressive drivers"

I'm begining to understand why.

Some of the comments here are irresponsible.

I'm not being, as one of you put it, 'holier than thou' but if you're 'red lining' a car on a public road you're most probably either breaking the speed law or putting your b*ll*cks where your brains should be (and that most likely means they aint very big!)

As for jules t5....no I don't give my car 'some welly' given safe conditions....simply because 'safe conditions' don't exist on public roads. I'll let you figure that one out (clue's in the word 'public')

I have absolutely nothing against speed and fast driving. I used to race bikes for years until the novelty of breaking collar bones wore off so I can readily understand the thrill of pushing 'the envelope'....as long as it's done on a circuit or track.

Having borne witness to the heartbreak and devastation that the sort of driving, some of you, endorse here can cause makes me sick.

Bob