Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 XC70 Web Site Spotted

Views : 5817

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:54   #11
Doumac

When I had my 850R it was 9 years old and had 170k on the clock. I received a factory recall from volvo regarding potentially dodgy wiring to the heated seats.

I couldn't believe it as I had never had a factory recall before, immaterial of the numerous faults on previous non volvo cars. I duly took my car to Arnie Clark and the superb mechanics couldn't refit the plastic trim at the bottom of my seats, so left them in a pile on the floor. But I was still amazed that volvo recalled the car.

Is it not the case that none of us enjoy volvo warranties and service any more because
they are ford. Are you lads campaigning against the correct people?
Doumac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doumac For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:04   #12
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Smile

I'd just like to say, THIS THREAD HAS NOWT TO DO WITH ME BEFORE I GET DRAGGED INTO IT!!!!!! But, Just to add to the comments then look here at this consumer thread from the States!!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/volvo.htm

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Mar 11th, 2009 at 11:41.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:43   #13
John_C
Allons-y!

Please calm things down, there is no need to make personal comments to disagree with another user's point of view.

Thanks,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 13:28   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
I'd just like to say, THIS THREAD HAS NOWT TO DO WITH ME BEFORE I GET DRAGGED INTO IT!!!!!! But, Just to add to the comments then look here at this consumer thread from the States!!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/volvo.htm
Interesting site but it lists all manufacturers and there seems little difference between them, and the third letter in the BMW list of compaints is about autobox hesitation and the dealers inability to find anything wrong but still charging $2000 to check it out. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/bmw.html Sure you still want a BMW?

I didn't say the AWD problem didn't exist I said there wasn't evidence of an inherent problem. The AWD has been fitted to cars since 1998, there must be millions on the road by now. Volvo do not make the AWD, unit they only fit it. Yes there are individual failures, as with any other electro mechanical device. but I have seen no convincing evidence yet of a major design or manufacturing problem. I researched the AWD drive well before I bought an XC90 and if I'd felt there was a major issue, in proportion say to the wheel bearing seals on my year model, I would have been less likely to buy one.

James says he has heard of weak angle gears on several cars. Several people have reported having to have a new AWD unit because the dealer said they couldn't free the failed spline sleeve, thus turning a minor job into major one. A failure of the garage in my opinion. The one splined sleeve I've seen appeared to have failed due to corrosion. So how to stop the corrosion in the first place? There have been no real technical posts about the angle gears that I can find on this fourm. If anyone knows where to find them please direct me to them. It's the kind of thing I love to read about.

I come on this forum to read technical items about Volvo and hear what the solutions are, so I don't like it being hijacked for legal issues about warranty claims. I sympathise with anyone who gets into a warranty issue but there are other forums where these issues can be aired and read by people with like minded interests.

I accept I am an anorak about Volvo and proud of it.

Hence the reason I post and read posts on this forum. I'm not interested in legal issues much as I think all car manufactures are much of a muchness but that Volvo have on past evidence been one of the best in sorting out claims. (Read Doumac's comment)The problem as I see it is that the main dealers are their eyes and ears and that some of them are very poor at giving a good honest service, while others are brilliant.

All the best.

A Volvo anorak
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 13:41   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Just to throw a technical thought into the mix.It has been obvious to me that the set up of the XC90 can throw a big impact on the transmission. I refer to the footbrake and the fact it is thought to be awkward to use so generally it isn't. However on a steep hill the car will roll backwards when you take your foot off the main brake, unlike the old conventional autoboxes which had more torque converter drag. Accelerating while rolling backwards does create a major impact on the transmission, which can't bee good for it. I always use the foot brake on hills even though I don't like it for that reason.

Roy
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 15:15   #16
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

To add to my guess about how many AWD couplings were on the road, Haldex have just announced that they've just produced their two millionth AWD coupling, and they have recieved an award for having a quality level of above 50 parts per million.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 11th, 2009 at 15:18.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 16:05   #17
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Yes but Roy, the coupling is the rear component of the AWD system - the 'Haldex' as referred to. The issues people have raised recently, myself included, involve the front diff (angle / bevel gear whatever you want to call it).

I would think few people, if any, have had issue with the Haldex unit itself (the odd pressure sensor perhaps). Its the way in which Volvo seem to have connected it to their drive gear & transmission at the front that seems a little suspect.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 16:45   #18
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
Yes but Roy, the coupling is the rear component of the AWD system - the 'Haldex' as referred to. The issues people have raised recently, myself included, involve the front diff (angle / bevel gear whatever you want to call it).

I would think few people, if any, have had issue with the Haldex unit itself (the odd pressure sensor perhaps). Its the way in which Volvo seem to have connected it to their drive gear & transmission at the front that seems a little suspect.
Haldex show the system comprising two units with angle gears, three angle gears in each unit together with a clutch in the front one and computer module in each.

On reliability I have just recieved a PM with the following info...

Quote:
As a point of reference do you know how many customers ive had who have had this happen?
Bearing in mind that I sold over 300 of them, including two out of the first ten customer cars in the uk!

not one, not a single one, and Ive spoken to five long term service managers at dealers, only heard of one case, not bad out of nearly 45,000 cars is it?

Dave
Roy
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 17:03   #19
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Smile

I dont have issue with the awd system other than the gearbox itself. in the snow it was as sure footed as I could have wished for. As I said before its one of the few items I dont have issue with. I askd the dealer about your suggestion for the knocking noise and they told me that wouldnt be anything to do with it. So I DO listen to an advice you give/suggest but the fact remains that Volvo are not the company they were when it comes to dealing with issues. yes the 2nd item in that thread is a BMW but how many are Volvo and how many are BMW? Theres a lot more than me have problems and Im doing this primarily because Ive spent 33000 on what VOSA have termed an unsafe vehicle and hence they have taken the matter up with Volvo as of Monday past. If I can get the (alleged) hesitation sorted for EVERYBODY that suffers it in the process then GREAT!!! Ive helped more than me!! The same applies to the angle gear/bevel gear whatever part it is. If out of this people with this issue get a resolution then great. One day YOU may be glad I got the issue looked at now rather than later. Just maybe though!!! THAT is why I want people to TELL me if they have the problem and get their friends that have the problem to tell me. So can get it dealt with at manufacturer level rather than us ALL having to fight with the individual dealers. Its thanks to the folk that HAVE responded that VOSA have now got involved. Especially AB's email. The VOSA guy couldnt believe the comment "if theres no fault code theres no fault".. He wondered how mechanics used to diagnose problems BEFORE the laptops. I'm not looking for fights with anyone over any part but it gets to a point where somebody has to stand up and be counted and Ive done that because I dont like being sold a lemon!! Sorry if you've been offended but every comment ive made about my car is factual and has been documented by the dealer or Volvo. I DO like the way it drives and pulls the caravan. The decent stereo and comfy seats. My son loves the RSE BUT Im not going to put myself or him in danger because of faults in what SHOULD have been a car as good as you have!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 17:55   #20
NCS XC90

4wheeldriver,
Having read through your problems/ disasters I really do feel for you and hope you get to a resolution that satisfies you. I think if I was in the same position I would not be replacing the car from the same manufacturer. It’s a real shame when things get to this position but it does look like you are going though the systematic process to bring it to a head.
You do hear about these kind of stories happening with all manufacturers so I guess it comes down to luck (someone is going to a lemon at some point). If truth be known I don’t hold many of them with a great deal of respect especially with after service care. Citroen were the best I had for service (maybe because I was not expecting much). But even then I took the wife’s car to them for a service and took the service manager out for a spin to show him it was pinking slightly but because the computer said it was OK they could not adjust the timing – how poor is that. It did have several recalls but other than that lasted well with no other problem so I cannot really say I tested there after service care very well. My wife has a Renault now which I took back a month after receiving it because it was loosing water. I was called up to say it was fixed and went and picked the car up and started driving home only to find that when accelerating reasonably there was a noise as if there was no air filter on or the exhaust had a hole in it. I returned the car to the garage were they apologised and said the car was not ready for picking up yet (they had made a mistake) and I could not have it until the following week because they needed to order a new water pipe. There was actually a load of bits from the engine in the boot (and they let me go out on the open road thinking all was fixed). Amazingly after the my frank exchange of views with the service manager when my wife went to pick the car up the following week after being told it was ready they still had not put everything back on the car but tried to convince me when I arrived (rather annoyed) it was OK. I got the service manager to go and get a mechanic who agreed the 6 inch diameter plastic pipe I was holding in my hand is not the replaced water hose that the manager was trying to convince me it was (it was the induction pipe from the engine to air filter). I think I told the manager that there is no way you need a 6 inch diameter water pipe on a car – a jumbo jet maybe. A friend in the same week had the brake pads changed on is Honda at a Honda dealer. On his journey home the car was making very load clunks. When he took it back they found that they had forgot to put the bolts back in that hold the brake callipers to the hub. These things are not in the same league as your problems but I just want to point out that the competence of dealers on many makes of car in my view is questionable. I’m a hands on person and like to do things myself and these experiences only add to my feeling I’m better doing it myself. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like to buy new cars.
So my point (eventually you say) is that I wish you well and hope you are able to get the full refund you deserve but in reality I think occasionally cars like yours slip through the net but this is not restricted to Volvo. And so given the same problems with another make I’m not sure that that manufacturer would react any differently – unfortunately.
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote