Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ZF22 auto box - ruddy great thud on taking up reverse

Views : 2427

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 21:49   #11
Blue 8
Premier Member

Was there ever an out come for this?

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 23:00   #12
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
Was there ever an out come for this?
I'm having my atf changed, going full synth, just trying to source it at it's cheapest, its very expensive. Faqs recommend full synth in this box, apparently heat is the killer of auto boxes and they run far cooler with full synth. I was looking at about £70, have got it down to £50 ish at the mo. Have just splurged out £51 on full synth engine oil, plus much more besides. Servicing is not cheap!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 23:22   #13
RealEstate
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
I'm having my atf changed, going full synth, just trying to source it at it's cheapest, its very expensive. Faqs recommend full synth in this box, apparently heat is the killer of auto boxes and they run far cooler with full synth.
Laney,
Are you aware that ZF state that for your HP422 box, oil should conform to ZF ML 11A/11B. See
http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...doID=1&id=2243
ZF download: “Manual transmissions, twin-clutch transmissions and automatic transmissions, List of lubricants TE-ML 11”

“Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) according to lubricant classes 11A / 11B”
OR
“Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) based on mineral base fluids according to
former Dexron II / Dexron III specification by General Motors.”
(note that class 11A corresponds approx to Dexron II & class 11B to Dexron III).

The only synthetic oil that seems to meet the 11B spec listed by ZF is:
CASTROL TRANSMAX Z which is a synthetic Dexron III ATF. If you find a cheap source of transmax, please let us know.

I know folk use the likes of AMSOIL etc, but I emailed ZF and above is what they replied.
All the best,
Ben

Last edited by RealEstate; Apr 23rd, 2009 at 23:26.
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealEstate For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:43   #14
Laney760
VOC Member

Thanks Realestate. Amsoil does meet GM Dextron 11 and 111 spec-

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/...ion_fluid.html

as do many of the full synth atfs, I'm quite happy to take a chance on this, they recommend different ones on the faq and so far that hasn't let me down! Geo Broughton & Co do a pack of 12 x 1L for £107 inclusive of vat and delivery, cheapest I have found it. The synth atf is far cheaper abroad, I know what I'll be getting friends to bring me back next time they go abroad!

Old Apr 25th, 2009, 15:23   #15
RealEstate
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
Amsoil does meet GM Dextron 11 and 111 spec-

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/...ion_fluid.html

as do many of the full synth atfs, I'm quite happy to take a chance on this, they recommend different ones on the faq and so far that hasn't let me down! Geo Broughton & Co do a pack of 12 x 1L for £107 inclusive of vat and delivery, cheapest I have found it. The synth atf is far cheaper abroad, I know what I'll be getting friends to bring me back next time they go abroad!
Laney,
Many thanks for the info. Interestingly the link says that Amsoil conforms with ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B & 14C, but does not mention ZF ML 11A/11B. I have no idea what the difference is.
Look forward to hearing how your autobox likes the new oil.
All the best,
Ben
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 16:02   #16
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEstate View Post
Laney,
Many thanks for the info. Interestingly the link says that Amsoil conforms with ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B & 14C, but does not mention ZF ML 11A/11B. I have no idea what the difference is.
Look forward to hearing how your autobox likes the new oil.
All the best,
Ben
Ben, yes, it doesn't comply with 11A/B but does with GM Dextron 11 & 111 and ZF recommend one or the other! To be honest, as there are no bad reports on the entire net about peops using it in ZF 4HP22 I am happy to go with this. However, due to jealous low life scum neighbours threatening to steal my car again, I'm spending my spare pennies on yet another security device, sourcing a wheel clamp that will fit my wheels and for the moment have just bought 8 litres of Shell Donax on Ebay inclusive of delivery for £24.23, bargain, it complies with 11A/B but will be doing another change asap over to full synth, maybe not a bad idea as hopefully the intermediate change will remove more crud and shavings from the system in the meantime. Have bought the correct filter, gasket kit etc and am giving this job to a very good mechanic whom I trust who does very meticulous work, I don't feel confident about doing this delicate job myself having read up about it on faqs. Thanks all

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 19:01   #17
Mister T

The primary adjustment to the transmission is the kick down cable, and if out of adjustment will cause a very heavy engagement to reverse with some late shifting in forward gears, the pressure used for reverse is 2-3 times higher than when in drive.
Changing fluid won’t fix this problem, but if you are doing it as a regular maintenance thing the regular fluid is adequate and much cheaper.
Other things to check are driveshaft center support and rear axle bushings especially if the car has independent rear suspension.
Mister T.
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister T For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:52   #18
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

This has now become so bad that even though I can't really afford to put it in the garage I am going to have to (have spent a lot on cam belt renewal, brake master cylinder and lots of service parts since buying it quite recently)

Its now no longer a huge thud, its a huge thud that reverberates through the whole car, from back to front, can't be doing the car any good and it's actually making me jump at times, I suspect prop/back axle but will get them to check the cable first

Worryingly, I have been remembering a mechanic telling me about a Cortina which catapaulted through the air when it's prop shaft broke, have always wondered if this were true, did some searching on the net and sure enough a lorry's prop shaft broke on a motorway, embedded itself in the tarmac, causing the lorry to be catapaulted onto its side!

Thanks Mr T and all, I will print this thread off and give it to my mechanic!

Old May 21st, 2009, 16:16   #19
Mister T

We had a recall here in the US to replace the front driveshaft bolts that were mated to the ZF transmissions MY 85-88 , they were to be replaced and metal adhesive installed on the flanges , this may not be the problem but should be checked (as soon as possible) , also have the center support checked,hope this helps.
Mister T.
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote