Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

can blanking off the egr valve damage the engine

Views : 11780

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2014, 20:54   #11
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Peter
I did get your msg sorry I did not get back to you
I can read your car for you but I can not do any software downloads only Volvo garage can do that
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 23:00   #12
Peter Bye

Default Hi Dave

Hi Dave.

I can't send you a PM back because I haven't had 30 posts yet. It would be perfect if you could help me with reading the car. Maybe next week if possible? Please PM some way of contacting you.

Thanks!

Yours
Peter
Peter Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 15:57   #13
brickman
Premier Member

It'll take longer to warm up on cool mornings, but AFAIK that is the only extra wear/damage that can take place without an EGR to your engine. On much newer engines (2003>) they play a more complex roll in the operation cycle of the engine, just deleting one from a more modern engine would probably lead to other problems, as well as possibly failing your MOT and emissions levels!
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 16:42   #14
davebb
Premier Member

i have taken my blanking plate out
so the egr is working again,the car is worming up faster
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 11:14   #15
graleman

Never heard such utter garbage in my life,how the hell can channelling dirty exhaust gases back through your engine help the dpf?The single reason for EGR valves as you state is reduction of nox.An engine will last far longer,not choke the inlet or damage swirl valves with the EGR blanked or removed.I have seen exactly the same engines in the same car over periods of 120,000 miles and the engines without EGR are running like swiss watches with no discernible wear in the swirl valve pivots,making much more power due to spotless intakes.The other has only 102,000 miles and the inlet manifold is knackered,the swirl valve pivots are worn and 1 has fallen off and it feels about 20-30% down on power.Disconnecting the EGR has no effect on mot's.I mot many cars with EGR disconnected and have never had a fail on emmisions.
graleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graleman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 14:58   #16
andyredz
andyredz - c30 r design

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by graleman View Post
Never heard such utter garbage in my life,how the hell can channelling dirty exhaust gases back through your engine help the dpf?The single reason for EGR valves as you state is reduction of nox.An engine will last far longer,not choke the inlet or damage swirl valves with the EGR blanked or removed.I have seen exactly the same engines in the same car over periods of 120,000 miles and the engines without EGR are running like swiss watches with no discernible wear in the swirl valve pivots,making much more power due to spotless intakes.The other has only 102,000 miles and the inlet manifold is knackered,the swirl valve pivots are worn and 1 has fallen off and it feels about 20-30% down on power.Disconnecting the EGR has no effect on mot's.I mot many cars with EGR disconnected and have never had a fail on emmisions.
Was reading this thread with dismay, until this sane and sensible post popped up. I have been blanking/deleting egr for years on all my work and personal diesel vehicles. Along with a remap by a dedicated engine tuner, my vehicles have all been vastly improved. The emphasis must be on getting it done properly! (I ignore the statistical garbage, the chap who does my stuff is a dedicated professional at the job and is more concerned with getting the best result for the engine not the figures)
andyredz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyredz For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 07:12   #17
Leo Kalme

People talk about irresponsible act of blanking the EGR while most of the cars on the road don't match the emission level of our Volvos without EGR.

If it is possible to blank EGR without CEL/other warnings or limp mode, do it. Mine works much better after blanking it, I have to disassemble manifold and get it clean, though. I don't see how channeling exhaust gases back to engine could do any good.
Leo Kalme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Kalme For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 14:23   #18
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Kalme View Post
I don't see how channeling exhaust gases back to engine could do any good.
Putting hot exhaust gasses into a cold engine helps warm the engine up to its standard operating temperature (89 deg C for the D5) faster.

At normal operating temperature the engine emits less pollutants than when cold as the fuel burns more efficiently and also less fuel is required.

So the EGR does make a difference to a cold engine, and does make a difference to emissions.

An alternative view is that maybe Volvo wasted millions of Euros and highly talented mechanical engineers on the EGR, when they should have just listened to a few vocal forum members on the interweb, where as we know everything must be true because it was written.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 06:18   #19
Leo Kalme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Putting hot exhaust gasses into a cold engine helps warm the engine up to its standard operating temperature (89 deg C for the D5) faster.

At normal operating temperature the engine emits less pollutants than when cold as the fuel burns more efficiently and also less fuel is required.

So the EGR does make a difference to a cold engine, and does make a difference to emissions.

An alternative view is that maybe Volvo wasted millions of Euros and highly talented mechanical engineers on the EGR, when they should have just listened to a few vocal forum members on the interweb, where as we know everything must be true because it was written.
From my experience, difference between how fast engine warms up with and without EGR is minimal.

It is all good, they develop such solutions to keep up with emission standards set to them. I just don't see the ghost in there when there are cars that exceed emission two or three times in real-world use. Does it concern me? No, my car still passes mot with accepted emission levels. So, you can be witty all you want.
Leo Kalme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo Kalme For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 12:24   #20
Fearone

Let's not kid ourselves, egr is a good idea for several reasons. The only major drawback is the carbon being returned to the intake. This can be easily overcome if manufacturers added a filter into the egr system which could be changed at service time. But cos carbon buildup is not a cause for concern within warranty period, i can't see it happening anytime soon.
Fearone is offline   Reply With Quote