Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Running problem on 1971 144DL. Help.

Views : 1415

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 19:21   #11
Snowman
never knowingly slow

When my tank imploded, if sorted it by leaving it in situ, attaching an airline to the breather, leaving the fuel cap on and blocking the fuelpipe at the pump. A blast of decent psi soon had it back in the proper shape!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 21:16   #12
80sRich

Ok latest update, today we drained the tank, first we drained it through the proper drain point. All the fuel that came out was clean. Nothing much wrong with this we thought. Then we took out the plug beneath the fuel pickup. (Thanks to the dent in the fuel tank this is now the lowest point in the tank.) Anyway the fuel that came out of here was brown and full of sediment.
We then fired a air back through the pipes from the fuel pump end. This forced a lot of muck back out of the pipe.
Then we were going to try and force the tank back to shape, I connected up the compressor pipes to the fuel breather pipe, I blocked the fuel line, at the fuel pump end, with a large screwdriver and a jubilee clip. Then it started raining! Bugger.
Metcheck.com assures me that tomorrow morning the weather is going to be nice. So we will go out and try to force the tank back into shape. Either that or we'll succeed in launching a screw driver through one of the front wings!
I'll let you know.
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 15:46   #13
80sRich

Ok, after a lot of nail biting with two bangs the tank popped back into a shape that more resembles what it should be. Took it for two test runs and it is working amazingly. Much faster than I thought it would be! :-)

However we have managed to make the top of the fuel tank bulge upwards which has had the effect of making the fuel sender no longer work properly. It is still working but with 30 quids worth of fuel in it, the needle is only at the bottom of the red.
We think what has happened is that the top of the tank has raised up taking the sender up with it so it no longer reaches the fuel.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to push the top of the tank back down? Jumping on it didn't seem to work.
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 19:23   #14
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Block the breather and let the fuel pump do it........but then, you could be back where you started! Or a long enough bit of 4" x 2", lay across the tank to spread the load and then jump on it. Seriously though, sender arm is easy enough to bend down a little if you prefer the gentle approach.

Glad you got it sorted
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 19:44   #15
john h
VOC Member

Good, well done

john h is offline   Reply With Quote