Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights - "Reset Light Switch"

Views : 1756

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2021, 12:12   #11
anotheruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov04v View Post
Why would you want to drive on the parking lights when you have the better and safer, for other road users and pedestrians, of DRL and constant on rear lamps?
I do really understand, but what's sad is nobody seems to understand my query of what setting do I use at dusk/dawn when the main beam would be too much. Or when it's lightly raining in the day. I may prefer to make myself a little more visible but main beams (which are for driving in the dark) are way overkill.

Is everyone saying they have never looked at a car and thought the lights were too bright for the conditions? Really?

They may be "parking lights" but I see people driving with these on all on nearly every journey (if at the right time of day). If you take away the name "parking lights", it makes sense as the main beam would be overkill. Perhaps how cars used to be before they changed the name to "parking lights" - my 1967 Beetle had two settings - bright (main beam) and not so bright (the manual did not mention this was for parking).

People regularly park up with main beams on, which only fuels the "parking lights are really for driving around when it's not quite dark enough for main beams" theory.

I would still dispute driving around in summer (in the sunshine) with DRLs on is no safer than no DRLs - especially with modern LEDs that can easily be caught at the wrong angle and become blinding. Yes, in counties where daylight is a lot shorter than the UK perhaps a good feature but not needed here in the UK, surely? But please link to that study so I can read all about it. It would seem most accidents happen on same-direction roads, so you wouldn't see the DRLs anyway but for head-on crashes, yes, perhaps DRLs would be better but that's quite a narrow field of research in the grand scheme of things.

Because I'm sure there are studies that show a harness (racing) style seatbelts are safer than the 3-point system most cars have now but we haven't bothered to bring that in. We only did DRLs because the EU decided it.

I understand I'm in the minority and I don't mind being that way but when I have been blinded by DRLs in the summer, I will never understand how that is safer when I can plainly see the car without any lights.

At the end of the day, the DRL subject is getting away from the subject in hand.
Perhaps I should drive around with full beams on all the time, because more visibility can only be safer right?
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 14:09   #12
EssexExile
Master Member

Apart from being very confused by your terminology, I'm also very confused by your problem with headlights on all the time. No I've never thought anyone's lights are too bright for the conditions unless they've got main beam on, sorry that's high beam in your terminology. Side lights or parking lights on many cars are almost invisible in daylight so there's no point in having them on at all. I'd rather they were brighter than necessary than dimmer than necessary.

I just leave mine on automatic all the time and don't worry about it.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 18:38   #13
Thekilt

Here’s your answer...stick it on auto and forget about it all. More important things in life to have beef about!
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 10:21   #14
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
I do really understand, but what's sad is nobody seems to understand my query of what setting do I use at dusk/dawn when the main beam would be too much. Or when it's lightly raining in the day. I may prefer to make myself a little more visible but main beams (which are for driving in the dark) are way overkill.

Is everyone saying they have never looked at a car and thought the lights were too bright for the conditions? Really?

They may be "parking lights" but I see people driving with these on all on nearly every journey (if at the right time of day). If you take away the name "parking lights", it makes sense as the main beam would be overkill. Perhaps how cars used to be before they changed the name to "parking lights" - my 1967 Beetle had two settings - bright (main beam) and not so bright (the manual did not mention this was for parking).

People regularly park up with main beams on, which only fuels the "parking lights are really for driving around when it's not quite dark enough for main beams" theory.

I would still dispute driving around in summer (in the sunshine) with DRLs on is no safer than no DRLs - especially with modern LEDs that can easily be caught at the wrong angle and become blinding. Yes, in counties where daylight is a lot shorter than the UK perhaps a good feature but not needed here in the UK, surely? But please link to that study so I can read all about it. It would seem most accidents happen on same-direction roads, so you wouldn't see the DRLs anyway but for head-on crashes, yes, perhaps DRLs would be better but that's quite a narrow field of research in the grand scheme of things.

Because I'm sure there are studies that show a harness (racing) style seatbelts are safer than the 3-point system most cars have now but we haven't bothered to bring that in. We only did DRLs because the EU decided it.

I understand I'm in the minority and I don't mind being that way but when I have been blinded by DRLs in the summer, I will never understand how that is safer when I can plainly see the car without any lights.

At the end of the day, the DRL subject is getting away from the subject in hand.
Perhaps I should drive around with full beams on all the time, because more visibility can only be safer right?
We do understand what you are saying, you are just unwilling to accept what we are saying. There is nothing wrong with using headlights during the day.
I do not recall ever being blinded by headlights from another car during the day. YOU may have looked at a car and thought the lights were bright, but I'd be surprised if they blinded you or impaired your vision, it's never happened to me.

Did your 1967 beetle have seatbelts ? Well lets not fit them to modern cars then. Just because it was OK in 1967, does not mean we can't do it better and safer.

Why you are insisting the EU did this on a whim, I cannot fathom.
Here's a link, feel free to read, digest, critique and report back. I'm sure there's plenty info out there if you want to look.
https://www.lrrb.org/pdf/trs1009.pdf

It's quite acceptable to not go along with crowd, the crowd isn't always right but when there is scientific research telling you, you are safer using the lights, and you have nothing to back up your end of the argument, perhaps its time to go with the crowd.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post: