Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Induction Kit 2006 C70 T5???

Views : 1697

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 08:47   #11
LeBon

seen the BSR but thought it was a lot of money and can't believe they say to raise the engine block to take the old filter out..........seems a lot of hassle

waiting for k&n to confirm if the typhoon kit will fit, their r&d department arte lookign at it.............i've also heard that the heat shield for the ECU actually makes it overheat and you need to install extra ducting to cool it?

might just get a Feritta stainless exhaust and put a panel filter in, that should give me that little better engine note that I want

will update you
LeBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:57   #12
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
BSR sounds amazing (turbo noises etc...) Got it on my car.

However... won't make you go any faster
It will actually make you go slower...

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:48   #13
Nuisance
VOC Member

Ok... Lets explain....

Engine likes air.

Engine likes cold air even better.

Engine likes cold dense air even better than that.

So.... we need air.

Logic would dictate that we collect the air for the engine from the coldest densest place possible.

Logic would also dictate that we have as free a flowing path as possible.

Now lets consider some of the laws of physics......

Lets say (for the purpose of simplicity) that the car is doing 140mph.

OK. Stick your hand out of the window.

Wham! it gets torn back at a hellish force. . . . Why?

Well because there is a huge pressure of air on the front of it, and a low pressure of air behind it.

The front of your car is exactly the same.

On the front face of your bumper there is a huge pressure of air at high speed. Inside your engine bay there is a vastly reduced pressure of air. In particular there is quite possibly less air pressure at 140mph than at standstill due to the restriction of flow through the radiator compared with what is being "sucked" out beneath the car. This works well with radiator and IC cooling as it's all about airflow. The high pressure in front of the radiator compared with the negative pressure behind it achieves great airflow, but what is present in the engine bay is heated rarefied air. Useless as far as the engine intake is concerned.

So.... Where would you want to get the air from for best engine performance?

The front face of the bumper. (I wonder why Volvo choose to take it from there?)

If driving at speed gave an increase of only .2 bar over atmosphere that's still 0.2 bar over atmosphere less that your turbo has to boost to get the same pressure at the manifold. Again....... if driving at speed gave a 0.2 bar rarefication of air within the engine bay the turbo would have to boost that much more.
When the turbo has less dense air it has to try to spin much faster to move the same amount of charged air. . . Hmmmmmmm OK we get the idea.

Drawing the air from a leaky attempt at a box within the engine bay (or worse just the engine bay) will reduce the power produced by the engine considerably when running at high speed. If you've made a half assed attempt at feeding that box from the bumper front you may loose a little less, but to work well the system needs to be drawing directly from the front of the car where the pressure is greatest. The system also needs to be properly sealed and free flowing.

It won't make sod all difference on a dyno as there is no airflow there anyway. (so don't believe any dyno comparison plots) But take the car out on the motorway and floor it for an overtake and you will have lost power.

As the filter also restricts flow you really need the greatest area of filter and most free flowing material. On the internal surface the cone filters as illustrated here tend to be quite small (they look much bigger on the outside)

If you want to see what Volvo themselves use as a filter on later 2.4 T5s have a look at this photo....

BSR optiflow...PAH! OEM is twice as big!!!

OH! the sponge is to stop the induction noise. . . Much better if removed

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

People are a problem.

Last edited by Nuisance; Apr 19th, 2010 at 12:50.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 17:25   #14
LeBon

well i'm mainly looking at the induction kit primarliy to make it sound better but don't want to risk losing power

the OEM system is actually a good sealed system, just too quiet and the bulky paper filter does not look like it allows the air to flow that freely

researching a bit more, the BSR and the K&N do take air from outside via the OEM inlet but are not sealed systems and there is a risk of overheating - particularly frying the ECU as this sits in the OEM box and is cooled from inducted air

a fabricated sealed system using something like the Pipercross Venom should however give more power and a better sound?.........

http://www.pipercross.net/fastroad/p..._universal.asp
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 23:13   #15
Nuisance
VOC Member

That looks a little more sensible.....

as does this

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp

To summarize:

People are a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuisance For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:28   #16
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

i've used many different air filters, both sealed & unshielded open cones & my fastest 1/4mile was recorded with an open cone
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 05:30   #17
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
a fabricated sealed system using something like the Pipercross Venom should however give more power and a better sound?.........

http://www.pipercross.net/fastroad/p..._universal.asp
i had the first ever Pipercross Vemon as they used my T-5 for the measurements & patterning, ther ewas no difference over the normal Pipercross cone filter (altho both were alot better than the K&N)
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 21:49   #18
Tubby Doorman
Finally a Volvo owner!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

researching a bit more, the BSR and the K&N do take air from outside via the OEM inlet but are not sealed systems and there is a risk of overheating - particularly frying the ECU as this sits in the OEM box and is cooled from inducted air
if the ecu get that hot and sits inside your airbox...that is not going to do your intake temps any good!!!
Tubby Doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 17:59   #19
LeBon

update

well i've just had a custom cat back stainless sports exhaust fitted, 4 inch round tailpipes either side, 2 1/2 inch bore, looks very good & the guys at Longlife Leeds did a neat job

sound is also impressive so may just bin the idea of the induction kit and just swap the panel filter out, it's called a mid sports and there is a lovely raspy growl but no intrusive drone at 3000rpm so motorway cruising is still ok

also badged it front and back as an R (i know they never did a C70 mk2 R!), and with the lowered suspension it certainly stands out from the crowd now

will upload some pics in due course