Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SE Sport or Active?

Views : 2179

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 14:46   #11
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
Looks so good Jim, what color is the interior?
mine is exactly the same but 3.2 petrol.
Thanks Rawas. I love the colour and think that the chrome steps and roof rails work well together.

It has the cream interior. I had wanted off black leather, like my old T5, but I'm used to it now. I would still swap it though if I could!

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk

Last edited by JimG; Feb 13th, 2012 at 14:48.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 17:06   #12
Andym01207

Thanks chaps.

Yes Jim that looks nice and externally, exactly what I want. Black, with privacy glass, chrome roof rails. However, I would also be looking for black leather, else I'd snap up the Sport for sale in here for £18k

A few of the SE Lux I have seen seem to have wood inserts around the dash etc..which is not my thing to be honest. Assume they are all not that way?

Regarding the comments on the Sport, the additional tax wouldn't be a show stopper, but the tyre comments regarding 19inch wheels make me sit up and think a bit. Does it really limit the choice and push the price up? Current Freelander is on 18s and they are not too bad to be honest.

Interesting discussion so far, thankyou.

Cheers
Andy
Andym01207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 17:22   #13
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym01207 View Post
Thanks chaps.

A few of the SE Lux I have seen seem to have wood inserts around the dash etc..which is not my thing to be honest. Assume they are all not that way?

Cheers
Andy
I think it comes with wood as standard (wouldn't have been my choice either) but the brushed aluminium is a no cost option, I think.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 17:28   #14
peterfoxy7

HI, I have just joined the XC90 club and opted for the R design. I was also looking at the Landrover Disco, which I have had before and a Freelander. I have no regrets with our choice. I bought mine from blackhorse car sales. They appear to be old bank stock, but at very good prices with a 12 month Warranty. Personally, I would not go for the basic spec.
peterfoxy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 17:38   #15
Andym01207

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfoxy7 View Post
HI, I have just joined the XC90 club and opted for the R design. I was also looking at the Landrover Disco, which I have had before and a Freelander. I have no regrets with our choice. I bought mine from blackhorse car sales. They appear to be old bank stock, but at very good prices with a 12 month Warranty. Personally, I would not go for the basic spec.
Thanks for the tip, just had a quick look. There is a lovely black R Design (unless thats the one you have just bought), but at 66k its a bit leggy for what I was looking for. Fussy? Me? .....

On that note, what are folks thought on mileage? I don't really want one thats been to the moon and back, and for some reason I had <40k in my head. As I've got older and a little more sensible I tend to keep cars for 6 or 7 years so buying one at 66k would soon be over the 100k...which I know some would say is just run in and loosening up nicely on a decent diesel, but I guess its just a number.... I know Discos which I'm also interested in, folks tend not to worry about mileage as they go forever.
Andym01207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 23:44   #16
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Quote:
................... but the tyre comments regarding 19inch wheels make me sit up and think a bit. Does it really limit the choice and push the price up? Current Freelander is on 18s and they are not too bad to be honest.
When I was looking I priced Michelin Latitude and they were about £160 a tyre for 17" & about £100 more for each 19". There is a much better choice of tyres in 17" and coming from Land Rover you probably know that the Disco guys go over to 17" wheels if they actually intend to go off road to get the choice.

The other thing is that you might have read that XC90's have the turning circle of a super tanker. Well the 19" shod cars have a bigger turning circle than the 17" or 18". We took a 19" car into an Asda car park & neither of us fancied parking it much although I did manage in the end. The 18" was much better. This isn't often mentioned.

I purchased an SELux with 18" wheels and am very pleased with it.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:24   #17
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, just had a quick look. There is a lovely black R Design (unless thats the one you have just bought), but at 66k its a bit leggy for what I was looking for. Fussy? Me? .....

On that note, what are folks thought on mileage? I don't really want one thats been to the moon and back, and for some reason I had <40k in my head. As I've got older and a little more sensible I tend to keep cars for 6 or 7 years so buying one at 66k would soon be over the 100k...which I know some would say is just run in and loosening up nicely on a decent diesel, but I guess its just a number.... I know Discos which I'm also interested in, folks tend not to worry about mileage as they go forever.
Hi Andy,
Few comments there,
1- Forget about Land Rovers, Volvos have a better overall reliability.
2- I would not be so excited about the R-Design,even if their suspension is more solid, the standard models are far more comfortable.
3- ChrisE is absolutely right, the bigger the tire is, the wider the turning circle gets. Do you really want to pay additional road tax for the 19" rims? why? what is wrong with the standard 18"?
4- You can anytime spend a little more to upgrade to Michelin, but XC90 loves Continentals, excellent grip.
5- High mileage, is a matter of concern, who said it is not. Bought my 2008 XC90 3.2 AWD with 16,000 Km.on (10K miles), it was way above the budget but a rare find. Two years later it drives like new.
6- As for the wood trim, I completely disagree with you guys. Dark wood steering wheel & center console on black dashboard is subtle luxury.
7- My XC90 has the black leather interior, my other car, a Volvo S70 has the cream colour. Both cars do the daily children school run. Today, the black leather on the XC90 is still black, while the cream tanned leather on the S70 looks almost black, you choose.
8- Surprised you did not mention a word on the premium sound system? it looks like you are not really into it. If not, I want you to google Volvo Dynaudio, there is a lot to read there. Believe me, you will be very lucky to find this optional system on a used one. (attached is a single page.)
Best of luck
keep us posted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dynaudio Premium Sound System - Volvo XC90.pdf (43.9 KB, 18 views)
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 13:52   #18
peterfoxy7

Quote:

I bought one in White, looks great, If I can, I will attach a photo. I wanted a 2008 or newer as the Volvo badge changed on the rear. got a 2010 with 23k on the clock for 24k. 5k more than I wanted to spend, but we will be keeping it for years.
peterfoxy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 20:58   #19
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
8- Surprised you did not mention a word on the premium sound system? it looks like you are not really into it. If not, I want you to google Volvo Dynaudio, there is a lot to read there. Believe me, you will be very lucky to find this optional system on a used one.
keep us posted.
Upgrading to a Premium sound system is on my retrofit list for the future. The High Performance stereo is not terrible, but nowhere near as good as the system I had in my V70 T5.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 22:46   #20
Sportwag

I started out to replace my SE D5 with an SE Lux however I was quickly won over by the 19" wheels, sports seats/trim and fancy chrome quad exhausts. On a plus point it looks much closer to the current face lifted model (3 spoke wheel, alu mirror covers, side kick strips and scuff plates) - without the vulnerable colour coding!
Sportwag is offline   Reply With Quote