Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Momentary hesitation on boost

Views : 6217

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 23:13   #11
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

Thats it, only mine looks like this:

2005 MY C70 2.0T MANUAL

2007 MY XC70 D5 AUTO
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 23:55   #12
te2800

I have a used tcv here 20 pounds posted works a treat
te2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 21:55   #13
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sorry, missed your post! Bought a new one (albeit with the VW connector) today...£34 posted.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 23:33   #14
66split

Bizarrely, my car has just started with the same symptoms
66split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 17:01   #15
66split

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? Was it the turbo control valve? mine is still doing the same thing...
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 17:25   #16
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I've been meaning to update this. Not yet, but it's not the TCV, or the VNT mechanism on the turbo (well...the actuator moves under vacuum, anyway!). Vacuum level was good last time I looked. It 'feels' like a VNT / boost control problem. Is yours spoiling late in lower gears (i.e. above 1500rpm), too? My flat-spot and late spoiling appeared at the same time.

At the moment, I'm drawing a blank, unless anyone else has any inspiration...?

I'm getting to the point of doing a VIDA datalog, as well as monitoring pump vacuum while it happens, to see if it's dipping.

I haven't ruled out something else, like a fuelling problem.

Mine is also not starting well. Glow plugs and all five injectors are new. Suspect high pressure pump or compression.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 18:17   #17
66split

Thanks for getting back James. Mine seems exactly like yours symptoms wise....in third and fourth when giving it some beans there's a definite flat spot in the boost. Also, the car normally starts to boost about 1600rpm but I've noticed that has started to fluctuate and can be as high as 2600. The car's recently had new injectors and I've just changed the fuel filter thinking maybe that was the culprit. I'm thinking MAF sensor maybe but someone suggested sticking vanes on the turbo also. Sorry to be daft James but what do you mean by 'spoiling'?

Last edited by 66split; Nov 6th, 2013 at 18:19.
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 19:23   #18
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sorry...that was a phone auto-correct...should have been spooling.

I am not ruling out the new (Bosch factory re-con) injectors as being the source. This started around the time I fitted them, and I'm not convinced they're 'right' in general. Of course that could very easily be a red herring. The acid test will be to monitor boost pressure (which I can do in VIDA). If it's not actually changing the boost pressure during that dip, that points to mis-fuelling.

My spool-up behaviour is greatly increased lag, most notable in lower gears. It's more normal in higher gears, where it all happens more slowly anyway. It's like the VNT is struggling to react quickly. One possibility is that while off-demand vacuum levels are correct (measured at idle, with a Mityvac), the pump is struggling / servo is leaking / pixies are stealing the vacuum when demand is higher. I guess attaching a gauge to the pump and going for a drive would tell all.

MAF sensor is also very much an option.

I checked my VNT vanes at the weekend - at least externally, all is present and correct (could be broken vane (or vanes), I suppose).

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:59   #19
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Little update. I haven't really solved this, but I'm heading in the right direction...I think!

The car started going into limp-home (ECM-6805 DTC) if taken above 2300rpm or so a few weeks ago. It started off happening once in a while, but quickly developed (within a couple of days) to happening every time I go past 2300rpm for any length of time (i.e. a full-throttle pull through a 2nd gear (or above), or cruising above 80mph). It drives as it did before below 2300rpm...although it might be slightly down on boost compared with before, as the 'dip' after spool-up seems a little less pronounced. Boost control has not been right for several months (and around 30k miles), but this is a new development.

Normally I'd be looking for boost leaks, or VNT faults (both with numerous possible causes), but the usual suspects are all fine. Specifically, my engine mounts hold vacuum, the pump makes vacuum, the TCV is new, and I have just fitted a new intercooler. It's still making boost leak noises, and so far I've checked in detail everything except the pipe leaving the turbo (which passed a cursory inspection, but needs removing and checking in detail - but - there's no sign of oil egress!). There also seems to be a very slight oily leak from my 'inlet manifold cover'. I had this cover off last year, and re-sealed it with Volvo's anaerobic sealant...but presumably not well enough! That could be the source of the boost leak. If I still can't find evidence of a problem, I'll get a smoke test done.

My intake pipe (i.e. directly before the turbo) does seem quite soft, so I will most likely order a new one.

I fitted a replacement (used) vacuum pump today, and that seems to have improved the delayed spool-up and flat spot issues...maybe...I'll report back on that. It doesn't seem to have made it any less breathless from a cold start.

It has also been making a strange noise around 2000rpm (±200rpm?)...like a sort of chirping rattle. I made a recording of the sound a week or two ago. It picked up the chirping aspect well, but there's a lower frequency element to it which you can't really hear on the recording. You can also hear the "boost leak" sound! Does this sound in any way familiar...? It sounds a bit like a spring oscillating. Oscillating VNT actuator, or EGR valve, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JPssQK1ogs

Order of events:
1) Delayed spool / flat spot around 2000rpm (August 2013?)
2) Rattling / chirping noise around 2000rpm (Jan/Feb 2014?)
3) Limp home mode above 2300rpm (April 2014)

Questions:
1) Has anyone tried to pump a vacuum into their brake servo? I can't get beyond 15inhg, but it doesn't creep down from there.
2) Does a TCV / VNT solenoid leak vacuum (i.e. if you measure vacuum at the hose at the pump, does it drop)? I can pump 25inhg into this hose, but it drops, and the TCV is the source of the leak. There is an open (filtered) port on it...! It's also nearly new.

Any other thoughts? That rattle / chirping sound has to be a clue!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:47   #20
reesky

Mine developed exactly the same symptoms after doing the tcv. I cured it last week bg fittings recon turbo (100£ ebay, its a long story, plus 150£ fitting). The screeching was the turbo shaft hitting the housing.
reesky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reesky For This Useful Post: