Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

turbo boost fault xc90 code ecm8605

Views : 23274

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 20:41   #11
alexlouislisa

my car has similar problem with error code ecm6805,been told by my dealer that i may need a new turbo.not sure i believe them,there is no evidence of turbo failure.
alexlouislisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 22:38   #12
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Smile

There are couple of things you can check and replace.

1. Replace the fuel filter

2. Check turbo hoses and intercooler
Have a look here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=69443
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93560

3. Then you have to check if there is no vacuum leak. Check the engine pads, hoses and vacuum pump:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88190

4. Check the VNT valve (governor) - it might have to be replaced. This is the first thing you replace when suspecting faulty turbo. This valve controls the turbo and sometimes it fails.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83830
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=71445

5. Check the injectors. That's very unlikely but they also might casue ECM-6805 problems

6. The last thing is the turbo
Here is my thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93130
I had to replace the turbo but I managed to get to the conclusion despite the incorrect diagnosis from the volvo dealer. They recommended replacing the MAF which was ridiculous. Don't trust the dealer mechanics. They usually read the codes and then they look into the service software which recommends checking and replacing certain components when the fault occurs. That's all their knowledge. They know these cars as much as we do. If you want to solve the problem DIY it
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v_matt_v For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 17:00   #13
Galleon

My XC90 exec 2005 just been in garage for same fault. Its taken them 3 days to locate. Been told its engine mount turbo boost pressure - faulty valve - £630.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA51GAB View Post
can any one help me with a problem i have been having with my XC90 exc 2005 the service light keeps coming on and the car goes in safe mode. i have taken tha car into my local volvo dealer 5 times in the last six weeks and paid out over £1200 and the problem still keeps returning normaly when you are crusing at 60-70 mph with the revs aroung 2200 - 2500 orwhen you are climbing a steed hill etc. the proble may happen ones or twice a day then not return for another four days.

Volvo have carrired out a software upgrade (£130) peddle sensor (138.00)then a new front engine Mount with new vacum pipes(£460) then anew air intake hoses Nipple etc, system ckeck and rod threw (£220) then this week a new mass air flow sensor (380.00) then four good day later same problem

got to the point of beleiving the dealer has not got any idea

can anyone suggest what it could be, i have been told by a friends friend that it could be the ECG valve which could be sticking , they normal close of at around 2500 revs so the turbo starts to come on
Galleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 19:32   #14
REDSHEEPRIDD

Finding this thread interesting and worrying.

My car is not running well at the moment - feels lumpy when accelerating - and is going in to Volvo for diagnostics and belt change on Tuesday - although no fault messages have appeared.

I know the intercooler is dripping oil slightly and has an oily patch in the centre when I look at it through the lower front bumper. Only really shows up when I tow the van on longish journeys as the rubber strip hangs off underneath - can a goosed intercooler cause a lumpy acceleration?
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 19:56   #15
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
Finding this thread interesting and worrying.

My car is not running well at the moment - feels lumpy when accelerating - and is going in to Volvo for diagnostics and belt change on Tuesday - although no fault messages have appeared.

I know the intercooler is dripping oil slightly and has an oily patch in the centre when I look at it through the lower front bumper. Only really shows up when I tow the van on longish journeys as the rubber strip hangs off underneath - can a goosed intercooler cause a lumpy acceleration?
It most likely is an intercooler which causes problems in your case. Replace it and it should be fine
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:54   #16
Architect

Default Boosted air leak

Is it just a boost air leak?
My xc90 (110k miles) kept going into limp mode because the rubber boosted air pipe to the intercooler blew off the plastic supply pipe that comes under the engine from the turbo. The plastic part is not strong and gets crushed by the jubilee clip (located behind the rad). New plastic pipe's only £40, but fearing it would crush again we made an insert out of 2" aluminium pipe. Very simple fix. Running fine now for 5k.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 13:37   #17
REDSHEEPRIDD

[QUOTE=v_matt_v;697130]There are couple of things you can check and replace.

3. Then you have to check if there is no vacuum leak. Check the engine pads, hoses and vacuum pump:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88190

Can anyone advise on the following 2 points;

1 - Is the vacuum pump on the 163 the same as a 185(or any other model) as I would like to source a used one.

2 - I have traced my vacuum pipes to the mounts and side of air filter box ok, but i do not have a guage or anything technical - is there a simple test I can do to check they are ok - can I just pull the pipe of the connectors and mount and check for sucking or blowing?
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 12:13   #18
H20FUN

Default ECM8605 found to be turbo issue

Hi all, thought I would share with you what solve my 'Engine service required' message.
After spending some quite some time & a relative small expence trying all the things others had tried on this forum, I still had this message, I would appear if too much throttle was used (2500> rpm) or a steep incline, switching the car ignition off/on would reset, some times it would re set it's self, once the engine was hot, the message didn't appear. I did notice when cold & the windows open I could hear a hiss / waste gate chatter noise, again at (2500> rpm) the message would appear straight after that noise.
I decided to take the car to Volvo dealer to get a accurate diagnostic report (£40) it gave me the same message as my £12 handheld device..! 8605..!
Volvo said they have experienced this before with the 2004 163 BHP variant, & the only way to fix it was to replace the turbo. they could not explain what was wrong with it or when hot it was ok.
So before I chucked £1000> at it, I decided to put some logic to the problem, knowing it was a turbo issue.
1. If it was bearing it would do it hot & cold = not bearing issue
2. if it was seals I would be smoking & burning oil, I'm not = no issue
3. VNT. if the vains were sicking it would over / under boost, either of these will give the 'engine service required' message. mine did = issue
So I decided my vains were sticking, my process of fixing this is in brief below, I did spend quite some time researching this on other forums before I started, My car has been driving like new, without any issues for the last 3000 miles, not sure how long it will last, but i'm happy with the result.
1. remove top engine mounting bar.
2. remove x3 exhaust to turbo nuts (quite awkward)
3. remove x1 exhaust to support bracket (just below turbo nuts)
4 pull exhaust away from turbo ) it only just clears the studs)
5. remove gasket
6. using the gasket as a template, make a blanking plate for the turbo, I used thick cardboard.
7. at the top of your blanking plate, make x2 small holes, these must be on the inside of the gasket ring, one's for filling, the other is to indicate it's full.
8. place your gasket over the studs, you then need to pack the gasket tight to the turbo to make a good seal, I used some old plastic padding between the exhaust, but don't cover the x2 holes!
9. using a small plastic pipe (like you get with WD40) fill your turbo with Mr Muscle oven cleaner, fill it until comes out of the 2nd hole.(don't over full, you don't want Mr Muscle reaching you cylinder head..!
10. most important, get yourself a coffee & relax (10 mins)
11. every 10 mins for the next hour you need to cycle / function the VNT arm, located between the hot & the cold side if the turbo.
12. after 1 hour, remove the packing & cardboard wash out the turbo with EGR/Turbo cleaner using the long plastic pipe , push some clean rag into the turbo to soak if the excess.( this stops the excess being pushed into the DPF / Or CAT.
13. re assemble your car, & take it for good blast
Hope this helps some one, it has me. ( sorry for poor spelling & bad grammar )
H20FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to H20FUN For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 17:37   #19
golferken

Default golferh5

I have joined the club to hopefully find an answer to my 8605 limp mode
have had the problem over many years,i have a 2003 xc90 d5 diesel,have spent over £1500 pound at different garages including 3 different volvo all have fitted different parts with if that doesn't work it must be the turbo ,turbo service center says turbo fine,the problem is when i pull away with excelerater to the floor i get a loud squeal and the old limp mode kicks in on/off and away
help if you can,remember i am an old grey hair

golferh5
golferken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 21:28   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferken View Post
I have joined the club to hopefully find an answer to my 8605 limp mode
have had the problem over many years,i have a 2003 xc90 d5 diesel,have spent over £1500 pound at different garages including 3 different volvo all have fitted different parts with if that doesn't work it must be the turbo ,turbo service center says turbo fine,the problem is when i pull away with excelerater to the floor i get a loud squeal and the old limp mode kicks in on/off and away
help if you can,remember i am an old grey hair

golferh5
you need to list what has been renewed and go from there .. This code is very open ended , turbo flow not correct . It could be caused by a dozen things ..

Most likely :

Engine mounts leaking vacuum
Intercooler leaking
Turbo control valve
Vacuum supply to turbo valve ( and engine mounts ) weak
Split turbo hose

you say you get a loud squeal , turbocharger springs to mind there ...